Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning much colder, frost and some sleet/snow esp North and West April 25th ==>

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

only 5C here at the moment in the rain, it almost looks sleety. Temperatures still up to 14C in parts of Cork.

If this was January or even February the place would be pasted white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A clear division of the country by that cold front with temps dropping fast as it moves south .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gonzo wrote: »
    only 5C here at the moment in the rain, it almost looks sleety. Temperatures still up to 14C in parts of Cork.

If this was January or even February the place would be pasted white.

16 degrees, nicely mild and sunny here. For now....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Reached a high here of 11.8C at 11.13am.
    Currently 5.3C.
    A shock to the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

When I left the house on the bike at 8.45 my Garmin read a shade over 5c. When I got home two and a half hours later it read a shade over 3c.
    Feels like Jan/Feb rather then late April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yes and a bit heat this time of year can do wonders. Wouldn't mind it turning a bit unsettled at the moment if it was to be of the thundery variety, nothing major, but very bad time of the year for a cold spell to start.

The worry I have is that this is too similar a pattern to 2012 for my liking.

Only thing is that weather can change - so its hopefully possible that it might improve soon.

Especially as the decent weather we got lately kind of came out of nowhere really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

curses on you lot i hoped good weather was here and no need for wool socks as 6 have holes in them and thrown out,have to wash remaining 2:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Old diesel wrote: »
    The worry I have is that this is too similar a pattern to 2012 for my liking.

Only thing is that weather can change - so its hopefully possible that it might improve soon.

Especially as the decent weather we got lately kind of came out of nowhere really

Erm, no, more like 1995 to me... seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Danno wrote: »
    Erm, no, more like 1995 to me... seriously.

Its like 2015 to me!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The winds coming in from the East off the Irish Sea for the last few weeks kept it cooler here in Bray than inland or the West. Single figures a fair proportion of the time. So this cool spell won't be really a shock to my system. For me with the temps in Bray averaging in single digits up till May and the Central Heating still on regularily, this distinctly feels like the long cold Spring of 2013. Great Summer year that was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A mod should put a yellow warning for snow in the north and northwest (up to 10 cm's) and also the midlands (up to 5 cm's) on the OP for Sunday 12 pm to Tuesday 12 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Woken up by some pretty intense hail at around 4am - this weather is crazy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is not nearly as bad as I expected, feeling quite warm in the sunshine despite the temperature. Certainly feels milder than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Smashing day here in west cork ... Had to put on a t shirt because of the sunburn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Nice here, cool enough (9c) 20% cloud cover, solid breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice bright fresh day in Castlebar and dry apart from well scattered showers. some good sunshine and great visibilities . very clear air. 9 degrees, dew point -0.2 degrees. (note temperature drops sharply in any showers)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

My mother in Monaghan has informed me that they had a sleet shower about half an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Even with a very cold air mass, at this time of year if the day is sunny and wind below about 10 knots, it can feel quiet pleasant outside. The damaging frosts are what I'd be most concerned about this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A fine weekend here in Donegal, thought it was going to be a dreadful weekend going by the forecasts, very little rain. -2.1c last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Car was showing 8 degrees at 11 am this morning.

How accurate that is I don't know - but it was showing 13/14 degrees last week.

Felt more pleasant with sunshine then the 8 degrees reading would have suggested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Was sitting out the back today and it felt as warm, if not warmer in the direct sunlight than it did during the warm spell last week. At this time of year the strength of the sun can really help negate the effects of cold air temps somewhat, although beginning to feel chilly now in that increasingly nagging breeze.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

0.1º when I got up this morning at 645. Dublin 16.

Put an extra tshirt on but was too hot later in the day and ditched the coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yeah agree with the above posts, lovely day in my part of meath, didnt feel cold at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

The sunny south was predictable. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Lovely evening here in cork. A little cooler than as of late, but perfect walking weather. The rain & snow can stay up in the north as far as I'm concerned :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

There was a lot less particular matter (haze, etc.) and water vapour in the atmosphere today than during last week's hazy inversion. Visibilities were reported up to 70 km today, so the sun's radiation was less impeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Scottish road cam currently
    346663.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

-3c @ Mullingar at 2 am. Wintry showers in to the north and west before dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Just had torrential rain followed by torrential hail here in Achill now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think its fair to say, any disruptive precipitation will be the exception today, and at upper levels only in the north midlands and north west. Otherwise just a chilly day with some unpleasant showers.

Advertisement