Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S2S Cycleway - northside

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

a148pro wrote: »
    I think the fencing makes more sense as with the bumps people will still walk straight on to the cycle track without realizing its a cycle track

Would be a harder case to argue though as a fence could be a trip hazard if low (or block access to the green area if high which is probably why it was removed in the first place).

The concrete blocks would cost a max of €500 to install on that stretch.

Anyway I've mentioned it to my local councillor who says he'll bring it up at the next meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

mrcheez wrote: »
    Would be a harder case to argue though as a fence could be a trip hazard if low (or block access to the green area if high which is probably why it was removed in the first place).

The concrete blocks would cost a max of €500 to install on that stretch.

Anyway I've mentioned it to my local councillor who says he'll bring it up at the next meeting.

You know what they will do don't you?

They will put the concrete blocks across the cycle path to stop the cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You know what they will do don't you?

They will put the concrete blocks across the cycle path to stop the cyclists!

SIGNS-CyclistsDismount.jpg?itok=uVfUlmnq

I hope you all realise that this is pretty much the best things are going to ever be. We have decent roads, some decent cycle paths and still have open racing.

My bet is that within a couple of years, a cycle licence will be required (with the cost and training involved), mandatory helmets, fitted electric turn signals, hi-vis vest only and lights on at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

I hope you all realise that this is pretty much the best things are going to ever be. We have decent roads, some decent cycle paths and still have open racing.

have to disagree. Was on part of it last night finishing off a spin and we dont have decent cycle paths. the surface on parts of that cycle way are good and fast but our cycle lanes are dangerous to cyclists and pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't honestly know why they constantly promise dates to start if they never meet them.

Because the idiots who vote for them thrive on their broken promises.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Because the idiots who vote for them thrive on their broken promises.

But that's where my confusion lies.

They didn't set a date before their election, they set a date mid-term, then moved it, moved it, and again, ad infinitum. Why not just set the date once you are 100% sure you have all resources and policies set down?

If anything the lack of organisation or leadership on the matter would make you *less* likely to vote for them again.

If they said "realistically we'll have everything ready to start work in Feb 2016", most of us would be happy with that.

I've never really been interested in local politics (never really had anything that affected me personally until this project came along) so I've heard people talk about "broken promises" that councils made but never experienced it firsthand.
    Part of the reason I set this thread up was to track the timeline of one such project that I have an interest in, just to see for myself if "promises are broken".

It's 2 years now since I first posted, which was around the time that work on the 2km section between wooden bridge and the causeway was supposed to have started and I've been able to experience and illustrate one such example of dates being moved constantly. Gotta say it's mind-boggling and I now appreciate what people mean by ineffectual councils and broken promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

DkjaZau.png

Irish Times - Ramps to divide walkers and cyclists on Dublin Bay route
    'raised defined crossing points' for pedestrians, planting low hedges at other points, installing warning signs for pedestrians and cyclists, moving the cycle path in some locations and constructing new footpaths at others.
    cyclists need to get it into their heads that they need to yield to pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,077 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There also needs to be signs on the M50 and all motorways to tell motorists to yield to pedestrians ;)

ah fantastic the solution to all of lifes land dividing problems plant a hedge. At least they had the cop on to bin the speed bumps, be a few people a year taking a tumble if theyd gone for that genius idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It says that people will have to yield at the car park entrances where the cycle path currently has priority. Why do people have to give up priority to every entrance and driveway when using Irish cycle paths?

It really is bizarre that we spent so much money on building dedicated cycle paths and then spend even money on signs to tell cyclists using the path that they needs to give way to others!

Either it is a cycle path or it isn't. Whilst of course we need to avoid accidents and if people walk across then everyone should do everything to avoid (just like on the road) but having signs saying that cyclists must give way clearly indicate that the lane is only usable if no pedestrians are are it.

Why not have signs telling pedestrians to yield to cyclists and watch out?

Why not have signs telling pedestrians to yield to cyclists and watch out?

They have these in the Phoenix park now (I partly helped by sending mail after mail after mail until they relented). At first they were ineffective, but there are noticeably less people now on those paths (except weekends of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

They have these in the Phoenix park now (I partly helped by sending mail after mail after mail until they relented). At first they were ineffective, but there are noticeably less people now on those paths (except weekends of course)

I have to wonder in the park would it make more sense to close of some of the other side roads and just use them for cyclists? The problem with pedestrians on the existing centre lanes is people parking their cars in the car parking space and walking on to what they perceive is a footpath. Or walking in the main gates and walking on what they perceive is a footpath.

There is huge scope for a dedicated segregated cycle lane for commuters going through the park, without upsetting people too much and without having to cross over loads of other roads / junctions either as the existing one does.

There are also a few cul de sac'd roads in the Southern end of the Park already that could be used for this purpose.

But that's where my confusion lies.

They didn't set a date before their election, they set a date mid-term, then moved it, moved it, and again, ad infinitum. Why not just set the date once you are 100% sure you have all resources and policies set down?

If anything the lack of organisation or leadership on the matter would make you *less* likely to vote for them again.

If they said "realistically we'll have everything ready to start work in Feb 2016", most of us would be happy with that.

I've never really been interested in local politics (never really had anything that affected me personally until this project came along) so I've heard people talk about "broken promises" that councils made but never experienced it firsthand.
    Part of the reason I set this thread up was to track the timeline of one such project that I have an interest in, just to see for myself if "promises are broken".

It's 2 years now since I first posted, which was around the time that work on the 2km section between wooden bridge and the causeway was supposed to have started and I've been able to experience and illustrate one such example of dates being moved constantly. Gotta say it's mind-boggling and I now appreciate what people mean by ineffectual councils and broken promises.

And you've done a great service by posting this thread and keeping it running. It was only when I read the full thing the other night that I realised what a joke this all was.

The more I think about this stuff the more I realise we need a dedicated agency put in place to promote the development of safe cycling infrastructure. It will never happen on its own and the people who decide these things as it is always have their own agendas with the only appearance of cyclists on it being the need for some tokenesque gesture to them so they can pay lip service to the idea that they are doing something for cycling (c.f. every ****e cycle lane in the country).

The equivalent of the EPA or the Equality Authority or the HSA or something, all of which have had an influence on their relative regulatory spheres, the State, the private sector and beyond.

I have to wonder in the park would it make more sense to close of some of the other side roads and just use them for cyclists? The problem with pedestrians on the existing centre lanes is people parking their cars in the car parking space and walking on to what they perceive is a footpath. Or walking in the main gates and walking on what they perceive is a footpath.

There is huge scope for a dedicated segregated cycle lane for commuters going through the park, without upsetting people too much and without having to cross over loads of other roads / junctions either as the existing one does.

There are also a few cul de sac'd roads in the Southern end of the Park already that could be used for this purpose.

i think if you made roads "bikes only" youd still get pedestrians walking on/in it. just look at the cycle lane were talking about and the amount of people who walk in it

neris wrote: »
    i think if you made roads "bikes only" youd still get pedestrians walking on/in it. just look at the cycle lane were talking about and the amount of people who walk in it

Yeah but its not that obvious - In ireland paths beside roads, and particularly beside roads where there are literally hundreds of car parking spaces, are footpaths.

I cycle and yet I ran on that cycle lane for years without realising it was a cycle lane.

It was only when I read the full thing the other night that I realised what a joke this all was.

Indeed, and to make it easier for others here is a summary...

According to http://www.clontarf.ie/news/s2s-cycleway-information-meeting works must begin before the summer as otherwise it'll be shelved for another year.

So by my reckoning we should start to see some builders in the area in the next month or so.
    So, despite the 3km section of bike path (along the section between Clontarf and Raheny - joining Wooden Bridge to the causeway) that was supposed to be started before the end of the year, having been tossed around various departments/managers, I got confirmation from the NTA that this will finally be started "early 2014"

If anyone's interested :)

Apparently work is due to begin on this in October.

October seems like an odd time to start work so alas it will probably be the following Spring for work to commence.

So much for starting mid-2013.
    Moved again to Spring 2015 ... what are bets I'll still be posting on this topic in 2016?

April 1st is now the date to begin. Can't wait to be fooled again.
    Moved to *after* May 14th. I actually give up...

...and this was all inspired by an announcement in 2013 that work was to begin in "next 4 weeks"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This morning I can see some ominous blue stakes and spray paint where the small causeway extension ends and on towards the city centre for a few hundred yards.

Raam wrote: »
    This morning I can see some ominous blue stakes and spray paint where the small causeway extension ends and on towards the city centre for a few hundred yards.

Hmm they must have taken them away, no sign of 'em when I popped out a couple of hours ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hmm they must have taken them away, no sign of 'em when I popped out a couple of hours ago?

Still there this eve.

they were there yesterday

On the road or path? This is that section that people cross over the road mid-way to get onto before you reach Raheny crossroad yeah?

Anyway it's encouraging. I imagined they'd start from the Raheny end first as it's easier and less disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Clontarf.ie just posted an update at
    http://www.clontarf.ie/news/s2s-cycleway-project-important-statement-from-cba-cra
    The Project is scheduled to begin on the 27th of April 2015 for a duration of 16 months. Works in the Bull Lagoon area restricted from April to September so the primary focus is to complete the construction of the retaining walls and remedial works within this timeframe. Works on the cycle & footway route will begin at the end of May commencing at the northern end of the site with replacement footpath works on western side of the carriageway working concurrently.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

I realise this is probably a hypothetical discussion, but is it known what the "planned" route between Alfie Byrne and the Quays is?

(I tried a couple of links earlier in the thread, but they know longer work.)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

tmq wrote: »
    I realise this is probably a hypothetical discussion, but is it known what the "planned" route between Alfie Byrne and the Quays is?

(I tried a couple of links earlier in the thread, but they know longer work.)

It's not going via the Alfie Byrne Road, it'll be going via Fairview...

http://irishcycle.com/2014/11/25/delay-with-dublin-bay-cycle-route-at-dollymount-due-to-irish-water-and-coastal-defences/
    Plan B is a more inland route made up of two projects. The first will link the S2S at Clontarf to City Centre via Fairview and North Strand Road (partly shown in black in the map, below) — options for this are being studied and are due to go to planning in the first quarter of 2015. The second project is part of the Royal Canal cycle route between North Strand Road and the Docklands (shown in purple on the map, below) — it’s due to go to planning by the end of the year but construction is only estimated to start in 2016.

Good to see they are getting everything setup, so it's finally happening people!

Recorded the following on my new Lidl Camera Sunglasses:

347090.jpg

Also had a chat with one of the supervisors, but I forgot my glasses were recording the conversation (my connection is too slow to upload the video anyway), but he said there will be a period where cyclists will need to cross the road at 2 points *OR* will need to cycle on the pedestrian path and he admitted there would be conflict points with pedestrians.

He said the new path would stretch out to where the current on-road bike path sits (on the coast side), or possibly a little more.

I guess there has to be pain before the pleasure of new road surfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

the image from those glasses looks really crisp, are they HD?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    the image from those glasses looks really crisp, are they HD?

yep, well 720p, and to be honest the smaller image does enhance the sharpness somewhat, but I'm very surprised at the quality for €70 and such a low-profile lens.

It surpasses the quality of some "HD" cameras I've bought for my bike previously.

There's a thread about them and other cycle-gear Lidl are selling this week:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057417113&page=5

• Advertisement

They've made great progress with the landscaping already!

348208.jpg

Advertisement