Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A view from the boundary - off-topic discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Beasty wrote: »
    Not quite so close today! England win by 10 wickets with 15.5 overs to spare. Hayles and Roy both getting centuries in their 256-0 run chase

England certainly have ability to play great cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,741 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A bit of abuse of Admin privilege to plug a match tomorrow - 12:30pm Sunday 14th August at Ardgillan Castle (between Skerries & Balbriggan & signposted from the M1).

The match is between Balbriggan CC & The Hills CC to commemorate the first recorded cricket match in north County Dublin at the same venue in 1829.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any extra runs for clearing the railway line?

:)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Very sad to see former Yorkshire opener Jackie Hampshire died today after a long illness. His England career did not properly reflect his quality - he scored a century on his Test debut but was still dropped after another match. He only played a total of 8 tests for England and perhaps even more surprising given his flair he only made 3 ODI appearances. He went on to be a First Class and Test umpire and had been President of Yorkshire since last year.

He would have been opening with Boycott when I first watched Yorkshire probably in a John Player match at Acklam Park, Middlesbrough in the mid 70s. He always played for the team and had some disagreements with Boycott on occasion as the latter would sometimes be more focussed on retaining his wicket than pushing on for the good of the team certainly in the view of many (if not Boycott!).

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Here's a pic from Northants slip cordon during their championship game at Derby. (which they won in epic style)

Looks lovely and warm.

https://twitter.com/dgriffinpix/status/853629962384965633

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thinking of heading to Malahide tomorrow or next week for my first cricket match. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Seating/standing
    Bar/food
    Chances of getting ticket on day
    If it's a washout is there a refund?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Collie D wrote: »
    Thinking of heading to Malahide tomorrow or next week for my first cricket match. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Seating/standing
    Bar/food
    Chances of getting ticket on day
    If it's a washout is there a refund?

Thanks in advance

There's definitely seating, not sure if they're using the grass banks as well. So, possibly both.

Definitely a bar, food options will probably be burger-van types.

Shouldn't be a problem, don't think they're sold out.

Refund on a total washout, partial refund if a certain number of overs are bowled.

Thanks for that. Lovely day for it today but have already decided to leave it until next Sunday...when it will rain no doubt.

Thanks for that. Lovely day for it today but have already decided to leave it until next Sunday...when it will rain no doubt.

Enjoy it when you go, hope the weather behaves. It's about a stressfree day of watching sport as you can get. Pint, bit of food, wander round most of the ground, having a chat, occasionally watching the play.

Sorry - another question. Can we come and go as we please or once we leave is that it? If there's a rain delay I'd rather walk into the village for a quick pint than hang around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I too am going to see my first cricket game Sunday. Where to buy?

I too am going to see my first cricket game Sunday. Where to buy?

Ticketmaster sell them although as per a previous post should be available on the day which is my plan. Always try to avoid that shower wherever possible :pac:

Always try to avoid that shower wherever possible :pac:
    Definitely worth taking an umbrella just in case

Sorry - another question. Can we come and go as we please or once we leave is that it? If there's a rain delay I'd rather walk into the village for a quick pint than hang around
    Yes - you will need to get something stamped (probably the back of your hand) and show your ticket on heading back in

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Couple of missed stumpings there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Absorbing article about former West Indies pace bowler Patrick Patterson, who has had a troubled life after cricket. After he disappeared from public life all sorts of rumours circulated, but an Indian journalist tracked him down

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/patrick-patterson-an-unquiet-mind-4762590/

Skid X wrote: »
    Absorbing article about former West Indies pace bowler Patrick Patterson, who has had a troubled life after cricket. After he disappeared from public life all sorts of rumours circulated, but an Indian journalist tracked him down

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/patrick-patterson-an-unquiet-mind-4762590/

Wow, great read thanks, he's clearly got some significant mental health problems, hopefully he is genuinely improving a bit these days, I wonder how much, or little, access to mental health services he has.

How about this for quality fielding from Ireland (in their win over Jersey).

https://twitter.com/ITVChannelSport/status/889574129170624512

Probably needs music from the circus or Benny Hill over it for full effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

How about this for quality fielding from Ireland (in their win over Jersey).

https://twitter.com/ITVChannelSport/status/889574129170624512

Probably needs music from the circus or Benny Hill over it for full effect.

Well, plenty of eyes on the ball, probably little calling! Great reaction though.

HonalD wrote: »
    Well, plenty of eyes on the ball, probably little calling! Great reaction though.

Yeah, It's actually a brilliant caught and bowled at the end of it all.

Sitting here watching the Test

One of the great things about it is I can have the laptop on my knee and take potshots at the re-reg trolls between overs (or even balls in some cases).

Taken 13 out so far today....

EDIT - make that 14 as they are showing the replays as Jennings is not out...

Fantastic moment on TMS just then, when Aggers reported that the ICC were removing First Class status from an England v RoW series on the basis it countered anti-apartheid

Boycott was saying how crazy it was, and everyone was agreeing with him. Conversation then turned to his 100th 100, which suddenly becomes his 99th. He was due to have a 40th anniversary charity bash celebrating that event next week, and Aggers was saying he'd been invited under false pretences. He was increasingly winding Boycs up as he explored the ramifications of this decision which was re-writing the record books.

Then eventually Aggers owned up - it was a complete wind-up:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Heard it - it was excellent!

It's up on the TMS Facebook page for anyone who missed it. Very funny. Video as well as audio.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155565558424904&id=8244244903

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watching cricket in bed at Old Trafford - appalling!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jesus, that windies display... the times they are a changing. Might be good for Ireland, the windies can't be that far out of reach now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jesus, that windies display... the times they are a changing. Might be good for Ireland, the windies can't be that far out of reach now.

Windies making good progress bowling in the first innings of the 2nd test 41-3 so far.

Advertisement