Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

What did Ken say to Cian before the football show last night?
    I missed it.

Was Ken bullying the poor guy?
    (#teamgentleman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Graham Hunter is a pain in the arse. Smugness personified. And what a waffler. If you actually listen to what he says, he says practically nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

What did Ken say to Cian before the football show last night?
    I missed it.

Cian was talking about Alan Pardews 8 year unprecedented contract... Ken jumped in and said something like its not unprecendented and said they gave a scout an 8 year contract a few weeks ago and all Pardews staff. Cian just stopped reading the rest of the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Ken is, afterall , the football expert!!

kraggy wrote: »
    Graham Hunter is a pain in the arse. Smugness personified. And what a waffler. If you actually listen to what he says, he says practically nothing.

I'm not too keen on Graham either.

When I want spanish football punditry with a dog barking in the background, I listen to Sid Lowe :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Izaiah Dirty Boar

Ken Burly, comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I like Graham Hunter's section he seems informed about Spanish Football.

I follow him on Twitter though and 90% of it seems to be retweets of people praising his book. Kind of annoying after a while.

Hunter has a fairly idiosyncratic style. He seems very touchy. I remember once they were talking away and Ken asked him something slightly of topic. Hunter got annoyed and said, "maybe next time you should decide exactly what it is we're going to discuss beforehand". I found it ridiculous.

It's not the only time I've noticed him being like that. Ken seems to accept it though so I wonder what sort of relationship they have in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Another huge, huge fan of the show here.

One of my favourite contributors is Xavier Revoi (sp?) the french football pundit. His pieces towards the end of Raymond Dominech's time as French coach were absolute priceless. (Xavier dispised Dominech, claimed to be rooting for France's opponents usually).

Away from the comedy, Jonathan Wilson would be my favourite of the regular guests.

Give thanks that there is a place for this left field stuff on Irish radio, instead of wall to wall Micheal Lyster, Des Cahill and Michael McMullen and their likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Some classic Off The Ball clips on their Soundcloud page

http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball

Includes vintage Ken Burley :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm gonna go against the flow here by declaring my annoyance with US Murph.
    I literally have to turn the volume down when he comes on. Why the hell does he feel the need to shout down the phone ?
    Come to think of it, he does he need the bloody phone at all ?

You think he's loud, have you ever heard Dave Hannigan being interviewed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Murph's Country Pages might be the best segment of all radio ever. Between Moncrieff and OTB they're the only radio I listen to these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 7golfer

what is the story with cian murtaugh and ken early?... they always slag off cian. as he reads the news... is it just a little joke? or is there more to it...,is there real bad feeling amongst them?

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Murph's Country Pages might be the best segment of all radio ever.

Then again, it might not be. I'm with Eoin on this one.
    7golfer wrote: »
    what is the story with cian murtaugh and ken early?... they always slag off cian. as he reads the news... is it just a little joke? or is there more to it...,is there real bad feeling amongst them?

Nah, they're just messing about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

7golfer wrote: »
    what is the story with cian murtaugh ?

No need to go any further.

The Richie Sadlier slot last night was quite interesting.

Shame they did not devote more time to it.

I'm becoming fan of Sadlier I muhst say.

The Richie Sadlier slot last night was quite interesting.

Shame they did not devote more time to it.

I'm becoming fan of Sadlier I muhst say.

Agreed, Sadlier has really grown on me too..he tries to be as honest as he can, and there is no sh*t out of him!! straight talking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Had to stop listening due to Ken Earley, the guy is a know it all tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

kraggy wrote: »

Cant stand that guy hes like a barcelona version of sid lowe on the guardian podcasts. Knows fcuk all about the other teams in spain and youd swear barca are the only club around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Temaz wrote: »
    Had to stop listening due to Ken Earley, the guy is a know it all tosser.
    Interesting. You managed to spell his name wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I like Roddy Collins slot on League Of Ireland football. He offers an interesting set of views each week and expresses himself quite well once you adapt to the heavy Dublin brogue. :pac:

I'm not a fan of Thornley on the rugby, I never took to the guy. Shaggy is not much better, has nothing of substance to say and is obviously reluctant to criticise his friends. I suppose Thornley is in a similar boat as he needs access to the Irish players for his Times column. The precedent was set when the Indo's Dave Kelly was temporarily blacklisted after criticising the team during one of the annual end of season tours of the southern hemisphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

They read my Dream Team tweet out the other night,my proudest moment in 2012 by far!

Ken's my favourite,makes a change from the usual idiot blokey type football presenters.

Not a huge fan of Murph but he's grown on me a bit,do like 'Country Pages' though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Brilliant interview with Paralympian Mark Rohan

was that todays show..must check it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

was that todays show..must check it out?

Yes, after the 8pm news until about 8.25. Well worth checking out.

Skid wrote: »
    Yes, after the 8pm news until about 8.25. Well worth checking out.

Cheers , will do

• Registered Users Posts: 17 7golfer

should ireland play 4-3-3 ? ....i think they should play 4- 5- -1...

4 at the back

3 at midfield

1 sniper in the east stand

1 sniper in the west stand

and 1 up front.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Loved the live show with Kerr and Hamann, both are great value. Zinedine Kilbane is quite good as well.

Were you at the Mercantyle Xavi?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I love this show. It has a comedy value to it, and it's a sports show.

They read a tweet out last night............ "Just had a quick listen to the German Off the Ball. They're bricking it!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Richie is brilliant.. so refreshing to hear somebody speak honestly about football... He's like the anti Kenny Cunningham..

Not a big fan of Richie Saddlier. Nothing against him, but he just sounds like an oul wan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement