Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

• 26-09-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

Thought a thread specifically for OTB might be worthwhile here seeing as other single show threads seem to provoke good debate.

While clearly miles ahead of its opposition, anyone else feel the show might be coasting on its success for the past while? In previous years I would be dying to hear what the lads thought of any big sporting issue but not as bothered these days even though still a big fan of the show. It can be hilarious listening but the in-jokes etc do grate after a while. Probably a symptom of having no real competition imo.

Favourite Guests: US Murph, David Brady, Richard Sadlier, Daithi Regan, Roddy Collins, Donn McClean

Least Favourite: Johnny Giles, Conor Deegan, Graham Hunter (can be v good but have to be in the mood to listen to the Ken/Hunter sniping)

Mod warning in post 6651.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'd agree with you on johnny giles as a least favourite guest. while his footballing knowledge will always be superior to mine, too much of his chat seems to involve 'back in my day' stuff.
    if he's asked about the shenanigans of a modern player, all we'd learn is that don revie or bill shankly wouldn't stand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Can't listen to Gerry Thornley anymore. No real analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Heroditas wrote: »
    Can't listen to Gerry Thornley anymore. No real analysis.

TBH I was going to stick him in the least favourite category but I pulled back because I generally enjoy the rugby conversations. Even though I have little regard for Gerry's actual analysis I still find him reasonably passionate and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I found it hard to like him bit since the summer I think Colm Parkinson is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Best show on the radio by miles, although i've never forgiven them for messing about with the friday show. (here's a treat for loyal listeners...stuff you've already heard this very week!). Cancelling the football show the day before the weekend...just makes no sense.

The giles bit is worthwhile for the "questions we can ask now that he's gone" bit.

Dont listen as much as i used to, but it is still brilliant most of the time. US murph is a favourite. So is normal murph, in fairness. Got a good laugh out of "Challenge Murph" there when he didnt win a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drive me nuts with their "clever clever" presentation. Can't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mike65 wrote: »
    Drive me nuts with their "clever clever" presentation. Can't listen.

What does that even mean? Do everyone a favour and at least substantiate your posts. One line flurries filled with inverted commas are painful to read.

Who ever referred to their presentation as "clever clever"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I love the John Giles segment myself! Maybe I'm alone.., Yes, he does do the "back in my day" stuff, but its usually after McDevitt prompts him to! Another guest I like is Malachy McClerkin (??)... Usually very interesting segment.
    I like the banter between McDevitt and Murph. It's never the same if either of those 2 are off. Not a big fan of Ken "Burley"... Sounds far too fond of his own smell for my liking! Not too fond of Graham Hunter either... The constant Barca / Real banter is tiresome.

They do get some great guests on though, on what I'm sure must be a small budget.

All in all, a good show. I think it can even appeal to the non sports or very casual listener. My GF goes spare if she sees/hears the sky sports "analysts" but she doesn't mind the OFB lads so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Only show on radio that i turn off the tv for and listen. Great show, John Giles "questions we can ask now that he's gone" is a personal fave as i've asked many of those questions over the years...often got read out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aidric wrote: »
    What does that even mean? Do everyone a favour and at least substantiate your posts. One line flurries filled with inverted commas are painful to read.

Who ever referred to their presentation as "clever clever"?

I just did, when they are chatting away with that annoying muzak tinkling away
    in the background like they were a couple of smooth dee-jays its does my ****ing head in. They could have the best pundits and guests in the world but I won't be around to hear them. The one who calls himself Murph is particularly wretched, the other one isn't much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Another guest I like is Malachy McClerkin (??)... Usually very interesting segment.

forward on to 4.15

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I found it hard to like him bit since the summer I think Colm Parkinson is excellent.

I'd agree, he's not as dim as I first thought he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think McDevitt is an excellent host and interviewer. He's surely destined to be picked up by a bigger organisation, he already does a bit of TV for Setanta I think.

Murph is quirky and funny while knowledgeable at the same time.

I like Ken, but he seems to get a bit lost when the topic of conversation is not football. He plays up to his radio persona as well, I don't imagine he is as smug in real life. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I used to hate Ken, really disliked him, but now he's great. His smugness has gone from being irritating to funny and his deadpan put downs of some of stupid texts/comments they get in are very good.

McDevitt is very good as well, and I love Murph's Country Pages. It's just a great show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I'm really big fan of the show as well, Great easy listening on the way to training. I too would turn it off when at home instead of the tv if someone interesting was been interviewed. Cant believe these lads get paid to chat about sport, like my ideal jobs.its just like a radio version of us on the soccer/gaa threads!!
    I would always have them on the podcasts for hols..they have really good mix of sport to suit all and they do have a sense of humour, not just your typical mundane broadcasters like cooper for example!I too like parkinson....bit annoying at times but does come out with some good ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

+1 on being a big fan.

My favourite slot is "American Murph", its hard not to like the enthusiasm of that guy.

Also love the "questions we couldnt ask Giles".

I like their promo-stings that they use... especially the Joe Duffy one.

The football show is killed by ads though, but that's not their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

+1 for OTB, only reason anymore why I listen to newstalk during the week.

Like others I'm starting to like Parkinson, and David Brady comes out with sum zingers. Last week when he said how Donegal like to 'suck and spread' the opposition had me all :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

OTB easily the best sports magazine programme on radio in the country, and certainly superior to anything des cahill and co in rte have to offer. Anchor man Eoin makes it look exceptionally easy and is complimented by the lads in studio who know exactly what they're talking about, be it murph on gaa or ken on football. Throw in Giles and a host of contributors from around the world and it adds serious clout, and finally the breadth of sports related stories they deal with is fascinating, very recently they spoke to a relation of Peter Norman a white Australian runner who gave the Black panther salute during the '68 olympics, a subject and person I was unaware of till now. One of the highlights over the years for me was the interview with swimmer Mark Spitz, fascinating stuff, unrivalled radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I just don't get this "Ken is smug" thing. For me his newsround is always the highlight of the show, it's unmissable. The best pundit is Tim Vickery. Sid Lowe would be up there too. The worst by a country mile is Graham Hunter. Now, there's a smug man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I think McDevitt is an excellent host and interviewer. He's surely destined to be picked up by a bigger organisation, he already does a bit of TV for Setanta I think.

I agree. He is the key to the show, it is not nearly as good when Eoin is away.

He is able to interview guests on pretty much any Sport and make it entertaining. He has a great knowledge and interest in different topics, a bit like a Sports version of Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭babaracus

Graham Hunter has gone really smug over the years alright.

My favourite show on radio and I listen every night. McDevitt is a great front man, Ken provides the comic relief and withering put downs and Murph has grown on me, really didn't like him at the start.

The quality of guest they get on is really good, fair play to them for getting some of the people they do.

Only bits I could give a miss are the horsey bits, not into the nags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Skid wrote: »
    I agree. He is the key to the show, it is not nearly as good when Eoin is away.

He is able to interview guests on pretty much any Sport and make it entertaining. He has a great knowledge and interest in different topics, a bit like a Sports version of Pat Kenny.

I would disagree. While Mcdevitt is very good at what he does, I don't think the show being presented by him or Gilroy makes that big a difference. To me Ken is the key. If it was just Eoin and Murph by themselves on the show I wouldn't listen to it...but each to his own and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Off the ball is great its a good bit of banter whilst getting up to speed in the world of sport there is no depressing sh*t about recessions or bank bailouts its just good oul sports news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭passremarkable

listening now as I type!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Skid wrote: »
    That's a very accurate comparison. Himself and Kenny are the two finest broadcasters on Irish radio.

Off The Ball is the one radio show I consider required listening. They handle a wide array of sports with complete professionalism, complemented with a good selection of contributors. Indeed the contributors are often challenged in a way which delivers value for the listeners.

The addition of Richie Sadlier for a weekly discussion on football matters is a wise one. I think he should replace Giles on the Thursday slot. I have a lot of time for Giles and he is a gentleman but i feel like he's just repeating the same opinions every week.

Roddy Collins is like a caricature but he is good for a laugh every week. I also enjoy Wednesday night rugby. There aren't really any slots I don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The football show is my favourite bit of the show but all of it is generally top radio.

A good few months ago I was putting the little one to sleep, just lying there in silence with OTB on very low, I hadn't heard the clip before but I burst out laughing when I heard "My naams Peta Beerdsley...", ffs, it took another half hour to get her to sleep after that, was worth the laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Aidric wrote: »
    The addition of Richie Sadlier for a weekly discussion on football matters is a wise one. I think he should replace Giles on the Thursday slot. I have a lot of time for Giles and he is a gentleman but i feel like he's just repeating the same opinions every week.

Richie is brilliant.. so refreshing to hear somebody speak honestly about football... He's like the anti Kenny Cunningham..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Enjoyed the bit coming of the sports news at 9 o'clock when Ken interrupted Cian. Isn't that what Murph and Eoin do at the very start of every show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Last night I heard a replay of the Andrew (Andy) Cole interview with Eoin McDevitt and Ken Early. Now I knew that Cole had a bit of a reputation as a bit of a surly character but straight from the off they got him to open up. They started by quoting the fact that Cole is third in all-time Premier League assists (Giggs & Bergkamp lead). Cole had not known this and you could hear his genuine surprise and delight at the stat. It goes to show how good research leads to a good interview.

Anyway they really seemed to engage with him and got him talking openly and honestly about everything. They questioned him in a direct but respectful way about potentially touchy subjects such as his spats with Keegan, Sheringham, his
    failure at England level, his failure to gel with Cantona. It was an master class in sport interviewing, they covered a huge range of subjects, from his belief that agents are unnecessary, being subbed in the Champions League Final, the change and responsibility that came with joining United, racism in football, his experience as a song of a Caribbean immigrant, how his game developed over the years, friendship with Roy Keane etc.

For an interview with a not particularly effusive retired footballer it was compelling. Also I should credit Cole himself as he was very honest and answering everything he was asked, however I cant help but think that much of this was down to the fact that he knew he was being interviewed by real sports journalists with a knowledge and appreciation of the game and a genuine interest in the player and his career.

Quoting my own comment on OTB from two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm gonna go against the flow here by declaring my annoyance with US Murph.
    I literally have to turn the volume down when he comes on. Why the hell does he feel the need to shout down the phone ?
    Come to think of it, he does he need the bloody phone at all ?

Also, some of OTBs own jingles and intros are extremely loud and annoying too. Especially the Ken Early ones. They make the old Harvey Norman ads seem tame in comparison. Time they changed them.

Apart from that - OTB is the best all round sports programme on radio or tv.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement