Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The wimp list ...

• 24-09-2012 7:38pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

So who cycled into work today?

and will you be doing it again tomorrow...

... or do you want your name adding to the wimp list?

Couldn't believe the amount of standing water on the roads of Fingal this evening. I was heading into Rush and then came across cars held up in both directions as they tried to find the shallowest route through. Then more floods on the Skerries Road, and turning at Loughshinney the water was flowing off the fields. It's the first time I've found my feet completely covered in water while riding through the floods - luckily there were no hidden potholes.

Hopefully it will have cleared a bit by the morning, and I'll be able to benefit properly from the predicted 40kph Northerly tailwind

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

All good in Galway today, bit damp in the morning but came back home without the rain gear on!
    Beasty wrote: »
    So who cycled into work today?

and will you be doing it again tomorrow...

... or do you want your name adding to the wimp list?

Couldn't believe the amount of standing water on the roads of Fingal this evening. I was heading into Rush and then came across cars held up in both directions as they tried to find the shallowest route through. Then more floods on the Skerries Road, and turning at Loughshinney the water was flowing off the fields. It's the first time I've found my feet completely covered in water while riding through the floods - luckily there were no hidden potholes.

Hopefully it will have cleared a bit by the morning, and I'll be able to benefit properly from the predicted 40kph Northerly tailwind

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

Standing water and gale force winds the perfect combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

i drove in but went for a 1hr 40 min cycle on the trails in the park after work. Does that count?
    i didnt notice the rain after about 10 minutes, and actually started enjoying after about 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cycled in and out today. Debating walking tomorrow, more due to the risk from drivers with poor visibility and increased rushing. One dude turned across Summerhill junction in front of me this morning, and the braking time in the wet is just that bit slower... was tempted just to ride into the side of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Had planned on cycling in 3 days this week but then read this and am considering joining the wimp list
    'This evolution will probably maintain the moderate to heavy rainfalls across most of Leinster and east Ulster with a very slow southward drift of the rainfall shield although not changing the location of heaviest rain which appears likely to stay just inland from Armagh/Down south to north Wicklow. Severe flood potential must be considered given the rainfall rates already achieved with most of the "event" yet to come. This is speculative but you could see local (total storm event 2-3-day) rainfalls of 150 mm in this situation. There could be widespread totals in the 50-100 mm range in the region. These totals will drop off quite sharply west of the Wicklow-Dublin mountains, and into the north-central counties, although some totals of 20-40 mm are possible over the period.

As for wind potential, this is very tricky in the developing situation. With the expected pressure falls and track, it seems likely that very strong NE winds would develop across the northern part of the Irish Sea and impact the coast north of Dublin, whether they reach the capital or not remains to be seen but would be more likely from about Balbriggan north. These winds would be about NNE (020-030 deg) at their max late tonight and so the very strong winds could come inland across portions of Dublin and Kildare counties, but Meath, Louth, Armagh, Down and Antrim are likely to see a longer period of strong winds. Peak gusts likely around 55-60 mph but some potential for higher gusts, will be keeping a very close eye on developments overnight. I should stress that there could be a very sharp cutoff in strong winds as this storm will develop a 30-40 mile wide "eye" feature and eyewall-like rainfall bands that will produce a much weaker wind field near the centre. The M2 buoy could be reporting almost calm winds at the height of this storm at some point. Also, the winds will be much weaker south of the east-west trough in which the low centre will develop, at least until the circulation responds by becoming more circular. This trough is currently oriented from about Drogheda ESE and will now start to pivot around the low centre in northern England, it won't drift much further north on the Irish side of the Sea and by tonight will be drifting south again.
    '

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Cycled today. Probably could have done with mitts.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

I cycled to school today, AHHH the spray from drivers who seem not to see me and drive within a few inches DESPITE my bright yellow reflective gear and flashy lights :o

Still, satisfying to see one of 6 out of 350 who cycled into school!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I cycled today and will cycle tomorrow, I'll just take it handier, agree that car drivers tend to make some bat****crazy moves in this kind of weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Cycled today - it was great windwise.

(Un)fortunately I'm working outside Dublin tomorrow so it's the car, otherwise I'd be back on the bike.

I have also perfected the art of drying my kit in less than 4 hours with a fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

I rode in this morning and passed a guy at speed, he sped up caugh and passed me, I think I awoke his inner "Beast"??

The road back into skerries was in pretty bad shape this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭billyhead

Didn't bother myself. Might brave it tomorrow though. One day on public transport is enough for me. Beasty you weren't wearing a white cycling jacket by any chance. Saw someone braving the elements heading through Rush on a road bike at around 6pm this evening possibly heading home from work and felt guilty that I didn't do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Cycled in today, will do tomorrow and for the rest of the week. Was planning on doing some interval training on the Cruagh climb tomorrow morning if the rain isn't too bad. Wimped out of the 'endurance zone' ride today. Descending might become more 'interesting' with the amount of rain forecasted.

I think I need at least a rear mudguard on the road bike. Any ideas of good ones that just clip on? There are no eyelets for proper ones on the bike.

P.S. That reminds me, I have to tighten the brake cables a bit tonight, the shifter paddles are starting to touch fingers when descending.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Staro wrote: »
    I rode in this morning and passed a guy at speed, he sped up caugh and passed me, I think I awoke his inner "Beast"??
    On my way in I was just about to start my 2nd KOM attempt of the morning and this guy passed me at speed. I actually gave him a perfect lead out, but he obviously wasn't interested - looked more of a traditional commuting type than a commuter racer ...

Now if I can get a team TT organised in the morning, both those KOMs should be improved further;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

billyhead wrote: »
    Beasty you weren't wearing a white cycling jacket by any chance. Saw someone braving the elements heading through Rush on a road bike at around 6pm this evening possibly heading home from work and felt guilty that I didn't do the same
    Yep that would have been me - quite enjoyable in a peverse sort of way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Little bit of moisture and wind along the Rock Road but nothing to get excited about. If it gets really epic I'm planning to break out my mountain bike, seeing as I've never managed to bring it anywhere near an actual trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Beasty wrote: »
    On my way in I was just about to start my 2nd KOM attempt of the morning and this guy passed me at speed. I actually gave him a perfect lead out, but he obviously wasn't interested - looked more of a traditional commuting type than a commuter racer ...

Now if I can get a team TT organised in the morning, both those KOMs should be improved further;)

Fair play Beasty, it's normal commuter "weather" these days. Let me know when the TTT sessions are starting, always a good sufferfest first thing in the morn, you need to get ShaunGil out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Rode in and out alright. Not that heroic when your postcode is in single figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Is mise Wimpicus!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

lennymc wrote: »
    i drove in but went for a 1hr 40 min cycle on the trails in the park after work. Does that count?
    i didnt notice the rain after about 10 minutes, and actually started enjoying after about 20.

Elements +1 Kerry4sam 0 : today Monday 24th.

I normally don't cycle to work anyways, but this morning was so bad I didn't even go for a spin before-work :o

So add me to me Wimp-list for today! :) Tomorrow will be different though, I can feel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

<3 my dhb rainjacket, doesn't let a drop in.

Tbh, it was only rain for me today, didn't notice much of a wind. Took it easy though, had no confidence in the cages to see me through water-speckled mirrors and windows. Even made a trip across the city on a DB. Got utterly drenched of course, but the aul rainjacket kept my shirt dry and a bit of bog roll dries the head just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

It's just rain. Now the iced up speed bumps from a couple of years ago, they were a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, no car. Cycled as per usual. . . change of clothes for tomorrow, put on today's on Wednesday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Was pretty wet this morning, arrived to work with sodden gloves, shoes, overshoes etc. Ride home was not too bad, only drizzle really and pretty much no wind. Tomorrow should be fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Wimped out. Would have been 10k straight into the wind. Maybe tomorrow though...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

wimped out..

missed my bus in the morning, so arrived late to work...Bus on the way home broke down, couldn't get on replacement bus as it was full, got a Dublinbike the rest of the way home..chain was skipping really badly so i was going about 5 km/h..

I've learnt my lesson.

Cycled. And got a puncture on the way home. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Was planning on doing a quick spin today but thought better of it after I was told of spot flooding. Tomorrow is another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Nice thread!
    Took 'the plunge' today, can't let the weather dictate stuff! Never enjoyable putting soggy socks back on for the journey home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Drove in this morning. The heater was on, Nice music on the radio. I even stopped off for a coffee and Chocolate muffin!. And Yes I'll be doing it again tomorrow. Hell i've waited all summer for two days off! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

As I mentioned in another thread, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes. Put on the raingear and went into work and back ;)

Advertisement