Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Infastructure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

And while I am at it, a revenue generating concert should not be allowed to prevent a team playing say at croke park
    the idea that a replay of a championship match or replay of a leinster final etc. always runs the risk of coinciding with one of those summer concerts.
    Perhaps denying a player their only chance of playing at HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Plans for €3m Longford GAA Centre of Excellence scrapped
    While Longford GAA have scrapped their plans to develop a €3m state of the art Centre of Excellence at Lyneen in Killashee, the search for an alternative site for a training centre will get underway very shortly.

“There is huge disappointment,” revealed Longford GAA secretary Peter O’Reilly following Wednesday’s unanimous decision to abandon the Lyneen plan as it was deemed financially unviable by voting club delegates.

A power-point presentation from Project Managers Collins Boyd Engineering highlighted that issues were identified with the site and an additional €900,000 would be required before development could commence.

Appointed in June, Collins Boyd from Roscommon, were in the process of preparing tender documents and they came across a couple of issues.

Mr O’Reilly explained: “In their expert opinion, which we have taken on board, the project isn’t financially viable. No matter what else was wrong with the site or not wrong, there was a solution to getting over it but at the end of the day, the bottom line was it came down to cost.”

Mr O’Reilly added: “A training centre is something we have been striving for since 2009. Upwards of €400,000 has been spent on the purchase of the site and planning.”
    <snip>
    http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local-news/plans-for-3m-longford-gaa-centre-of-excellence-scrapped-1-5508548

I cant say I am disappointed in the news. Theres a few projects like this which were started during the celtic tiger (when sums of millions seemed like nothing) and its only natural that now some common sense is creeping into the equation and the realisation that millions of euros just dont grow on trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's a case of the most successful teams getting farther and farther ahead though. Kerry are building a centre of excellence and the GAA are putting 9M into the one in Blanch for Dublin.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart gets put in the remedial class and questions the logic of catching up with the rest of the students by going slower than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/pairc-ui-chaoimh-cork-1431603-Apr2014/

Cork County Board have got planning, just have to build it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Funding in place for PUC redevelopment. Talk of them hosting hurling quarters.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=216352

Think most hurling fans would prefer them to be in Semple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

iDave wrote: »
    Funding in place for PUC redevelopment. Talk of them hosting hurling quarters.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=216352

Think most hurling fans would prefer them to be in Semple.

Sounds like a lot of "Dublin have one, so we should have one too" nonsense. The truth of the matter is there aren't enough games in Munster to justify having as many stadiums of that size as we already do, let alone building / redeveloping one.

It sickens my hole to see the amount of money the GAA spends on stadiums that we don't need.

blue note wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of "Dublin have one, so we should have one too" nonsense. The truth of the matter is there aren't enough games in Munster to justify having as many stadiums of that size as we already do, let alone building / redeveloping one.

It sickens my hole to see the amount of money the GAA spends on stadiums that we don't need.

I'm sure you wouldn't say no if a few bob was offered to redevelop Fortress Fraher ;)

iDave wrote: »
    I'm sure you wouldn't say no if a few bob was offered to redevelop Fortress Fraher ;)

I wouldn't say no to a few bob was offered to pay for it's demolition! I'm fed up seeing the county struggle to half fund two stadiums / stadia!

I wouldn't say no to a few bob was offered to pay for it's demolition! I'm fed up seeing the county struggle to half fund two stadiums / stadia!

Don't aggravate the Weshties!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Any word on who got what in the SCG awards announced today?

• Advertisement

OK looks like O'Neill and Duffy still want to pursue the M50 Bowl idea

http://www1.skysports.com/gaelic-football/news/30543/9589404/gaa-president-liam-oneill-supports-plans-for-new-stadium-on-dublins-m50
    GAA president Liam O’Neill has voiced his support for a Leinster Gaelic games stadium to be built on Dublin’s M50 motorway.

O’Neill was responding to questions about the Leinster Council’s continuing refusal to play Dublin’s senior football championship fixtures outside of Croke Park.

O’Neill, who was Leinster chairman the last time Dublin played an away championship match in 2006 against Longford, said that spectators’ comfort standards have risen to the point where he believes it impractical to stage big matches in the smaller provincial venues.

“I think Leinster probably has the situation on their hands where they have to develop a stadium that holds 40,000,” he said. “I think that’s the next one now.

“They’re talking about the M50. There’s huge demand now. The challenge now is to build a stadium that has access from Leinster.

“And there’s no county in Leinster, other than Kilkenny or Wexford, that is more than an hour-and-a-half from the M50. And we have to develop a stadium and meet that need in a different way.

“Rather than dragging them down to Longford and only 9,000, let’s go for 40,000 and we can say: ‘Right, we have a realistic alternative now'.

“I think the Leinster proposal for an M50 stadium is something that is going to have to be seriously considered by the organisation. It will service Dublin as well.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Whats the point in having it in Dublin? If this were to go ahead just for the sake of Dublin playing games outside of Croke Park it would be stupid. Why not just redevelop Parnell Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

deadybai wrote: »
    Whats the point in having it in Dublin? If this were to go ahead just for the sake of Dublin playing games outside of Croke Park it would be stupid. Why not just redevelop Parnell Park?
    Dublin is a good hub, many big populated counties close by.
    On the M50 makes stadium much more accessible than redeveloping Parnell Park

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

On a greenfield site with nothing around it? That will do wonders for the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sq001

On a greenfield site with nothing around it? That will do wonders for the atmosphere

Think havin it in Dublin is a bad move. Dublin would still have home games most of the time. Somewhere like Kildare off the motorway would be a better idea. Still very accessible to most Leinster people. Somewhere near Naas id say

Upgrading a few Leinster grounds should be the priority. Navan & Newbridge as well as Drogheda and Aughrim. It could be done for the same price as this thing. No new land will be purchased.
    Will this be a home ground just for Dublin or any county within 2 hours drive of the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Presumably a home ground for Dublin OR when theres an American football game on in Croke Park this could be an option.

Maybe when two teams that arent Dublin meet in a semi final they can play there. Obviously all finals should be played at Croke park, right? Also wouldnt the Galway hurlers benefit from this too? They could make it their home ground. Tullamore businesses wouldnt be too pleased with that!

deadybai wrote: »
    Galway hurlers benefit from this too? They could make it their home ground. Tullamore businesses wouldnt be too pleased with that!

Or they can use Salthill. Might be handier for their players and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

spectators’ comfort standards have risen to the point where he believes it impractical to stage big matches in the smaller provincial venues

WTF is this ****? Just have Dublin play the odd game away from home like everyone else for **** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Stadium on m50 is a waste of money, out of town stadiums don't have the same draw as ones in town/city centre or walking distance anyway. If it was built then making Dublin play in the suburbs instead of the city centre would be a laughable situation. Maybe a stadium in another county holding 40000 would be worthwhile but to be honest if it is built because its needed then great but if its just to move the dubs out of croker once or twice a year then it would be a waste of money.

• Advertisement

Well this is just genius. People get annoyed about Dublin having all their games in Croke Park because it gives them an unfair advantage (home advantage). So what's the solution? Build a new stadium. Also in Dublin. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well this is just genius. People get annoyed about Dublin having all their games in Croke Park because it gives them an unfair advantage (home advantage). So what's the solution? Build a new stadium. Also in Dublin. Genius.

Don't bother getting too worked up its not going to happen. Apart from Dublin ( Parnell too small,Croker too big ) does any Leinster county regularly sell out their own stadium for league matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

The thing is that Croke Park since it's redevelopment has sort of sucked the life (and most importantly money) out of most of the other GAA grounds in Leinster. These days it seems like 90% of all Leinster championship matches are played there and this has resulted in a most of the county grounds in Leinster becoming run down kips quite frankly.

Meath and Kildare both have abominable kips of grounds, Louth basically doesn't have one at all and this most likely will not change ever if the M50 ground is built.

But I feel that this is symptomatic of the GAA's poor infrastructure policies in general. Why does Munster need 4 stadiums with 40/50k capacity that are near half filled once in a blue moon, while the Leinster championships are basically played in the one place?

The one province I will give credit to stadium wise is Ulster where you have the likes of Breffni, Newry, Omagh and Clones would all be of decent standard and of an appropriate size. The new casement when built will add to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Is it April Fool's Day already?

I would love to know where the site suitable for a 40,000 capacity stadium near the M50 is and, more importantly, how much it would cost. Unless it was built at the National Sports Campus at Abbottstown but I dont think there would be much support outside the GAA and certainly no external money. I dont think it would be a good location for the stadium anyway and would be a waste of money. Apart from when the Dubs are playing, how many Leinster championship games attract more than 25,000? Surely upgrades of existing stadiums and carefully selected double headers in Croker would do the job for Leinster championship.

Somewhere like Portlaoise would be a good location for a good quality 30,000 - 35,000 capacity stadium which gives another county a good home and could be used for qualifiers and quarter finals as well.

Dublin probably does need a better stadium than Parnell Park, not so much in terms of capacity but mainly access. The Dublin county final this year proved that. Parnell Park has no redevelopment potential, maybe Dublin County Board should consider selling it to fund a 15,000 - 20,000 capacity stadium at another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I would love to know where the site suitable for a 40,000 capacity stadium near the M50 is and, more importantly, how much it would cost. Unless it was built at the National Sports Campus at Abbottstown but I dont think there would be much support outside the GAA and certainly no external money. I dont think it would be a good location for the stadium anyway and would be a waste of money. Apart from when the Dubs are playing, how many Leinster championship games attract more than 25,000? Surely upgrades of existing stadiums and carefully selected double headers in Croker would do the job for Leinster championship.

Somewhere like Portlaoise would be a good location for a good quality 30,000 - 35,000 capacity stadium which gives another county a good home and could be used for qualifiers and quarter finals as well.

Dublin probably does need a better stadium than Parnell Park, not so much in terms of capacity but mainly access. The Dublin county final this year proved that. Parnell Park has no redevelopment potential, maybe Dublin County Board should consider selling it to fund a 15,000 - 20,000 capacity stadium at another location.

Pipe down you with that common sense based approach...building a stadium in a location within 90 mins drive of most of Leinster and with an appropriate capacity based on attendances. A pox on you I say!

Seriously though, this stadium near the M50 nonsense..where did they come up with that?! A stadium in a random locatin along the M50 would be yet another white elephant, not what is needed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Hibbeler wrote: »
    The thing is that Croke Park since it's redevelopment has sort of sucked the life (and most importantly money) out of most of the other GAA grounds in Leinster. These days it seems like 90% of all Leinster championship matches are played there and this has resulted in a most of the county grounds in Leinster becoming run down kips quite frankly.

Meath and Kildare both have abominable kips of grounds, Louth basically doesn't have one at all and this most likely will not change ever if the M50 ground is built.

But I feel that this is symptomatic of the GAA's poor infrastructure policies in general. Why does Munster need 4 stadiums with 40/50k capacity that are near half filled once in a blue moon, while the Leinster championships are basically played in the one place?

The one province I will give credit to stadium wise is Ulster where you have the likes of Breffni, Newry, Omagh and Clones would all be of decent standard and of an appropriate size. The new casement when built will add to this.

True, it doesn't make any sense.
    I think the situation in Limerick where you have 2 stadiums of roughly 30k and 45k capacity within a mile of each other in a city of what, 90k population ..is the most ludicrous. Makes for really awkward conversations with visitors who can practically see one stadium from the other!
    Fitzgerald Stadium is probably another outsized venue, even though I love it. Semple stadium, similarly is a historic venue that is out of proportion to it's location but is sustained by holding the majority of Munster hurling championship matches.
    Cork will have a 45k stadium if plans come to fruition and this is probably appropriate in terms of population and the large hurling following in Cork especially. Capacity was increased with the RWC bid in mind aswell I believe.

If one was starting from scratch again, 4 smaller venues and 2 40k stadia in Cork and Limerick would obviously be a basic plan..but so long as they don't go buck wild and spend a load of money on stadia that will host mainly national league games in Ennis and Waterford, what can you do.

Its a simple as this. Every county should have a home ground that can accommodate their national league matches, provincial championship up to SF level, qualifiers and county finals. The capacities should be based on population/fan base. They should however be built to the highest possible standard. Home and away agreements should then be the norm to guarantee regular usage of county grounds up to provincial SF level.
    Neutral venues and double headers should be done away with unless its a final or All Ireland semi or if demand requires it.
    This stadium is just not necessary. The GAA should have a stadium infrastructure plan with Navan, Newbridge and Waterford prioritised. Drogheda, Aughrim and Ennis next and then perhaps Mulingar, Ballybofey, Hyde Park for example. Also proceed with the existing Casement and PUC plans (although the PUC design really needs a second look)
    Bringing every county in Leinster to some new site off the M50 for a provincial QF makes no sense when existing grounds should be utilised. If we utilise our existing grounds then it will be easier to justify upgrading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I would love to know where the site suitable for a 40,000 capacity stadium near the M50 is and, more importantly, how much it would cost.

I dont think it would be a good location for the stadium anyway and would be a waste of money.

Dublin probably does need a better stadium than Parnell Park, not so much in terms of capacity but mainly access.

Ah yes, the A-word. Which is something nothing built anywhere near Abbots Town will have. Have you ever driven along that section of motorway at busy times? Bottleneck isn't the word for it.

MAD IDEA. If the PDs will be remembered in years to come for anything at all it will be for stopping that backslapping dimwit Bertie Ahern from building his white elephant in the arse hole of nowhere. One would think the GAA would have more sense.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/gaa-looking-to-expand-croke-park-1.2031953

Sounds good at first but I fear it could be a big disappointment. Terms like urban village set alarm bells ringing for me, just buzz words with no specific meaning. It could be a horrible soulless modern area shoehorned into somewhere it doesn't belong, totally at odds with its surroundings. What is the point of restaurants which will be too crowded on match days and empty every other day of the year?

It should just be an open space for people to congregate before and after matches. It could be a fan zone type area with food vendors and even buskers which would be full of activity and create a great atmosphere. The site is also too small for this boulevard and new homes also, DDC should sell the entire site and use the money to build homes on one of the many vacant sites which are empty due to their lack of funds.

Advertisement