Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

rednik wrote: »

Deep breath..............................................................................oh, f**k that, I'm not gonna waste energy on that f**ker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Deep breath..............................................................................oh, f**k that, I'm not gonna waste energy on that f**ker.

If you're waiting for Chinese Democracy I wouldn't hold your breath

I would try waiting for God instead, I hear the pay off is greater

If you're waiting for Chinese Democracy I wouldn't hold your breath

I would try waiting for God instead, I hear the pay off is greater

Um Chinese Democracy is already out, and it's s**t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

The music scene has gone pathetic- the only good metal bads around are the established hierarchy.
    When was the last time a good new rock n roll band appeared?

• Advertisement

Um Chinese Democracy is already out, and it's s**t.

First of all, Chinese Democracy is not ****, it's a pretty decent album

Second, that was a quote from Axl to a US Journalist in 2002 when he was asked about the album. I was using it for comedic purposes, but if I have to explain the joke, I guess the point was lost. It would surprise you how approachable Axl can be, check this rarely seen interview out.

And this one....from the VMAs backstage....

The music scene has gone pathetic- the only good metal bads around are the established hierarchy. When was the last time a good new rock n roll band appeared?

These guys are pretty good for me....

First of all, Chinese Democracy is not ****, it's a pretty decent album
    Second, that was a quote from Axl to a US Journalist in 2002 when he was asked about the album. I was using it for comedic purposes, but if I have to explain the joke, I guess the point was lost. It would surprise you how approachable Axl can be, check this rarely seen interview out.

And this one....from the VMAs backstage....

These guys are pretty good for me....

That's a matter of opinion. And in mine, Chinese Democracy is s**t - apart from a couple of tracks.

And now something for a bit of comedy from a period of GNR that makes me sick to my stomach

GNR on their 2002 North American tour

Watch for the moment in that video where Dizzy Reed says they have their perfect line up. Fast forward 10 years and they've changed 3 members, but at least DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot are talented.

And a little about Buckethead

That's a matter of opinion. And in mine, Chinese Democracy is s**t - apart from a couple of tracks.

Matter of opinion or not, albums don't usually sell in excess of 1 Million units in the US alone, spend months in the charts and top the European Hit 100 without doing something right. All that and the album had virtually no publicity, no live dates, no interviews, no promotion and very little airplay.

Matter of opinion or not, albums don't usually sell in excess of 1 Million units in the US alone, spend months in the charts and top the European Hit 100 without doing something right. All that and the album had virtually no publicity, no live dates, no interviews, no promotion and very little airplay.

Eh I think you'll find the name Guns N'Roses has something to do with it....? Still a s**t album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Alright Mickey we get it. You hate all things new GNR. In fact we're all well aware of your opinion at this stage :rolleyes:

Eh I think you'll find the name Guns N'Roses has something to do with it....? Still a s**t album.

I get the feeling no matter what I say to come back at you regarding that comment you won't stop or back down until I admit Axl Rose is nothing short of the anti-christ
    Alright Mickey we get it. You hate all things new GNR. In fact we're all well aware of your opinion at this stage :rolleyes:

I think it's more of a bile than a hatred

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The no publicity thing is not valid. It was the most anticipated album, certainly the most infamous album, long before it was released. You'd want to be living under a rock not to have known it was out.

It just didn't live up to expectations and was not the album that people were expecting. It was all over the place and disjointed, lacking Axl's trademark vocals & the epic solos that are the signature GNR sound. It has its moments but they are few and far between.

It is a sad day when Axl Rose sounds better on Sebastian Bach's Angel Down than his own bloody album.

And when people see the name Guns N Roses they want the original band, not the Axl Rose band camp. He'd probably have had more respect and a better critical reception had he just been honest and move on without the baggage of the GNR name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Chinese Democracy has split fans down the middle. My opinion is it is a good album. The wait was ridiculous and did not help it on release. Fans going to gigs in the US have given this line up the thumbs up and only for the drunken dickheads at the 02 I would imagine the fans here would have done the same.

The present line up are a damn good band and if they do return I will be there and hopefully they can get through a show without any repeat of the previous trouble. I look forward to new material and I feel Ashba can give Axl some good ideas.

RonMexico wrote: »
    The no publicity thing is not valid. It was the most anticipated album, certainly the most infamous album, long before it was released. You'd want to be living under a rock not to have known it was out.

It just didn't live up to expectations and was not the album that people were expecting. It was all over the place and disjointed, lacking Axl's trademark vocals & the epic solos that are the signature GNR sound. It has its moments but they are few and far between.

It is a sad day when Axl Rose sounds better on Sebastian Bach's Angel Down than his own bloody album.

And when people see the name Guns N Roses they want the original band, not the Axl Rose band camp. He'd probably have had more respect and a better critical reception had he just been honest and move on without the baggage of the GNR name.

This. 1000 times this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

It was the most anticipated album, certainly the most infamous album, long before it was released.

This is true .. consider it a couple of decades of anicipation, and 15 million quids worth of combined production and advertising costs resulting in a couple of million albums sales ... a pretty piss poor return, which ironically mirrors the content of the album. Whodda figured ?:pac:

Not Best Buy anyway, that's for sure. Technically the record company made their money back thanks to the best buy exclusive deal + the modest album sales. Best Buy got burned though, the album is now available for $1.99 in the bargain bin in their stores.

OK, granted, but the lack of promotional tours directly before or after the albums release and the lack of music videos featuring ANY of the new line up or ANY of the new songs AND the complete lack of interviews or promotional spots given to the album upon release would have detracted those who simply downloaded the album illegally, or obtained it through a friend, or whatever means you like that meant they just didn't pay for the bloody thing.

Plus it streamed on MySpace and YouTube, in full, before it was released so anyone who purchased the album and then complained it was **** has only themselves to blame.

And, at that, I don't believe that many people would have purchased the album in error or without knowing more than a few songs. So those sales figures stand, and one million people (at least) bought this album in the US. So even with illegal downloads it still sold well against its contemporaries.

I'm gonna stick on Madagascar right now I think.

There were expectations for this album, granted, but people should have known that this was a completely new band with completely new members. Hell, people should have been fully aware that Slash and Duff had left, and anybody who knows anything about music knows that when a band looses principal songwriting partners/musicians there is going to be a change in musical direction whether you want it or not.

The very Punk nature attitude of GNR was fueled, to a large extent, by Duff McKagan. When he left the band that was going to change. Even when Axl Rose changed the tempo of Knocking On Heaven's Door live in 2001 people should have realized that, yes, this means he is probably going to alter sounds and release different musical opinion.

Look at the track My World from Use Your Illusion 2, composed completely by Axl - with some left over drum tracks from Matt - all the band members at the time said they hadn't a clue that song existed until the album came out. But it kind of sounds like it could be a future idea or demo for Shackler's or Rhiad

In January 1994 on a US interview on Rockline Axl Rose told the host (and a stunned Slash) that he was working on a secret solo project. This project was what happened to some of the earliest ideas for Chinese Democracy. Axl Rose is business minded, he knew full well that he would never be taken seriously without the GNR name, that he wouldn't get half as much attention without that name. That's the only reason he kept it, not to piss on the past, but to use it as a marketing tool to sell albums - I don't agree it with his methods, but I like his musical results, personally

I agree with you, it's not Guns N' Roses, not how I see it and it in no way represents the band that played Slane in 1992. But for a lot of people (younger people, mostly Americans) its the only GNR they know and they only one they want at the moment.

The HOF thing is not going to happen as people expect, a reunion tour might happen (within the next 5 years if all the principal members are still alive and enough money is in the pot) but, for now, Guns N Roses is just another band fronted by the same man who fronted the last band called that.

I will say that despite my thinking that Axl is a complete and utter gob****e for so many different reasons, he is still my favourite frontman in this thoroughly boring age of rock n roll and I just hope that one day he can stun the music world again for all of the right reasons - be it one killer song or another great album.

I'd even settle for a one off reunion gig with the old band at this stage.

• Advertisement

I will say that despite my thinking that Axl is a complete and utter gob****e for so many different reasons, he is still my favourite frontman in this thoroughly boring age of rock n roll and I just hope that one day he can stun the music world again for all of the right reasons - be it one killer song or another great album.

I'd even settle for a one off reunion gig with the old band at this stage.

Won't happen. Too much water'/bull****(whatever you call it)has gone under the bridge for that to happen. Axl has f****d over too many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Won't happen. Too much water'/bull****(whatever you call it)has gone under the bridge for that to happen. Axl has f****d over too many people.

why cant they just have seperate dressing rooms eg like the eagles do. its like a big soap oprea

PTH2009 wrote: »
    why cant they just have seperate dressing rooms eg like the eagles do. its like a big soap oprea

lol

Trust me, if Pink Floyd can/could reunite for the right reasons, Guns N Roses could do the same....

And, unlike what you said about Jason Newsted in another thread, I wouldn't bet your house on it not happening

I wouldn't rule it out completely either. Axl is a funny fish. Everyone was surprised a few years ago when Matt Sorum ran into him in New York and they ended up having a good time with Axl even driving Matt back to wherever he was staying. Those two were never close and both talked a lot of **** about each other in the past.

I think Axl vents a lot but it is amazing what a personal face to face meeting can do. See how he also mended the bridge with Duff recently.

It all boils down to Axl and Slash. I've noticed both have softened the rhetoric in the press about each other recently. This coming after Axl called Slash "a cancer". We all know that Axl has read Slash's book, maybe after reading that (no doubt Duffs and Adlers too) he has thought about things from a different perspective. I think the RNRHOF ceremony should answer a lot of questions.

I wouldn't rule it out completely either. Axl is a funny fish. Everyone was surprised a few years ago when Matt Sorum ran into him in New York and they ended up having a good time with Axl even driving Matt back to wherever he was staying. Those two were never close and both talked a lot of **** about each other in the past.

I think Axl vents a lot but it is amazing what a personal face to face meeting can do. See how he also mended the bridge with Duff recently.

It all boils down to Axl and Slash. I've noticed both have softened the rhetoric in the press about each other recently. This coming after Axl called Slash "a cancer". We all know that Axl has read Slash's book, maybe after reading that (no doubt Duffs and Adlers too) he has thought about things from a different perspective. I think the RNRHOF ceremony should answer a lot of questions.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but with all the bad blood between Axl & Slash in particular, I just can't see it happening.

This made me laugh, but was verified as completely true
    A source tells PEOPLE that Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has been serving jury duty on a civil trial in Santa Monica, Calif.

The rocker's rep confirms that Rose, 49, indeed has been performing his civic duty – having completed jury duty service on Tuesday "after serving four days of the trial process," says his rep.

"It was relatively painless," says Rose, who just completed a U.S. tour with his band last month. "I was fortunate that everyone in the courthouse and jurors were all really great, plus I got to see daylight from a different prospect."

So, you can imagine among many other things feeling pressured by your impending trial, only to find out Axl Rose was on the jury! I can't believe he agreed to this, you'd imagine he'd find a way to get out of it, but it will certainly give him good press.

That must have been so weird for the people involved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

This thread has got me thinking about the possibility of a GNR reunion. Although my conclusion, and the reasons behind my conclusion may be somewhat trite, I think it gives rise to a possibility of a reunion.

First, the current GNR lineup has more than one member of the former incarnation, and that is Dizzy Reed (from the Use Your Illusion era at least). Second, the current incarnation has recieved guest appearences by Izzy Stradlin (2006) and Duff McCagen (2010). Third, another poster has mentioned an amicable meeting between Matt Sorum and Rose. Fourth, Velvet Revolver demonstrates that good blood exists between a number of these individuals and Slash. The only difficulty would appear to be the burnt bridges between Axl and Slash.

What this suggests is that a GNR re-union (in the form of the Use Your Illusion band) is possible, but it would take some reconciliation between two individuals who have been engaged in one of the most notorious rock and roll feuds ever. It will take a lot to achieve, but I dont believe it is out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

This made me laugh, but was verified as completely true

So, you can imagine among many other things feeling pressured by your impending trial, only to find out Axl Rose was on the jury! I can't believe he agreed to this, you'd imagine he'd find a way to get out of it, but it will certainly give him good press.

I would have thought he'd be disqualified from Jury Service, having had a previous criminal record?

Advertisement