Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tonight in practice ...

• 30-03-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it'd be fun to have a log-style thread, to note new developments and changes in our practice (be it yoga or pilates). :)

Tonight in practice, I learned that I really like the challenge of fast-paced class!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

What a nice idea!

Last night in class during a difficult pose I remembered being little, running around outside and climbing trees for hours. I'd be exhausted and my arms would hurt, but I'd keep going because it was great fun. I'm going to try bring that mindset to challenging poses in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

What a nice idea!

Last night in class during a difficult pose I remembered being little, running around outside and climbing trees for hours. I'd be exhausted and my arms would hurt, but I'd keep going because it was great fun. I'm going to try bring that mindset to challenging poses in future.
    That's really lovely!

Last night in practice I realised I always do better on the second side in balance poses. I think it's because my concentration has warmed up slightly during my first, shaky side! And I think I'm falling in love with twisty poses :D

Yay for twists, especially desk twists :)

On the good/bad side thing, I was doing tree pose last night and when switching sides I thought 'now for my bad leg' but then realised I'd mixed up my left and right sides and had been balancing perfectly happily on my bad leg. Goes to show how much the mind can do.

Yesterday, in Pilates, I was re-acquainted with my great and unending hatred of side plank. I can't even balance right in it, let alone hold it for 5 breaths! :rolleyes:

Hermione* wrote: »
    Yesterday, in Pilates, I was re-acquainted with my great and unending hatred of side plank. I can't even balance right in it, let alone hold it for 5 breaths! :rolleyes:
    Scratch that. Tonight my balance rocked and balance has always been my downfall in side plank. Definitely the high point of the class!

• Advertisement

Yay! Well done! That must have felt awesome :)

Yay! Well done! That must have felt awesome :)
    It really did! Sadly, last night, side plank and I resumed our mutual dislike. i think I was too tored after work :(

High point of last night's class:
    firelog_1.jpg
    So lovely after a day at a desk!

Tonight: yoga nidra. <3

This week I am really hankering after inversions. I wonder what that says about the headspace I'm in? I'll know after this evening's practice, maybe.

Last night in practice I noticed my abs are a little weaker from neglect/eating all the pies.

I'm off on a yoga retreat for the weekend! I hope to improve my concentration and get some ideas for home practice.

By the way, Hermione, how is/was yoga nidra?

• Advertisement

Yoga retreat sounds fab! How lovely :)

I loved yoga nidra! It's like yogic sleep: it's a deep relaxation/ guided meditation, which usually lasts about 30 minutes. Some yoga workshops I've done have ended with a yoga nidra: it's really nice. It's very rejuvenating ime.

The yoga nidra sounds like a great way to recharge the batteries.

I had a fantastic weekend of lots and lots of yoga.

So, this weekend in practice I noticed that I push up to hard in cobra and need to redistribute my weight more efficiently into my legs. I also pull too hard on my feet in forward bends (the ego loves a really flat seated forward bend, but the shoulders don't). And I finally got the hang of upward bow. It's a wonderful posture when you're not freaking out that you're going to fall on your head and die in it.

And I did improve a little in meditation and got some home practice ideas as I'd hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SaraYoga

Last night in practice I realized how much my physical awareness has improved because of yoga! So grateful!
    And I held handstand without the wall for a couple seconds!!

Namaste, Sara

Bravo holding headstand without the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I got the crown of my head to touch the ground with feet spread and knees locked out.
    not bad for a ~98kg guy!

I got the crown of my head to touch the ground with feet spread and knees locked out.
    not bad for a ~98kg guy!
    Wowsa! Fair play!

Been very busy this week: have three practices to list!

Last Wednesday: Lovely strong, core-focused class
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqPyxt0bcb9vVK8uYebbjA5Y5wP6dScKXviZE8Wqj5gfq0Tw9BYg

Saturday morning Pilates: Deadly partner poses, including a variation on this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuH74zEWtfjR-xYQZO7elNkNLSdsV8JkCMzPqSCrSEfUEHTPlt1g

Last night, ashtanga:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-Yzssx0alIx24mMuRuoofGXTQOeZldB4UMyPCdWXEtGzukHwn0A

Tonight I discovered that hot yoga and I do not like each other! The heat is very distracting, I find! Going back next week to see if I can do any better :D

Bridge pose was still as lovely as ever
    HP_193_Bridge_248.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Tonight in yoga I did a full crab - YAY \o/ :D

ali_crab.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SaraYoga

Yay! Full wheel, or crab, is an awesome pose!

Tonight I really felt that the more you commit your mind, the more you can get out of any pose.

SaraYoga wrote: »
    Yay! Full wheel, or crab, is an awesome pose!

Tonight I really felt that the more you commit your mind, the more you can get out of any pose.
    Totes agree with that. If my mind isn't clear and focused, I struggle to hold any pose!

• Advertisement

Life's beena bit crazy of late so I haven't been to many classes :( Am practicing at home instead and really liking
    Paschimottanasa_248.jpg

I nearly fell asleep during relaxation at the end of tonight's class! I guess that means the relaxation was really working :D

/bumpity

Tonight: pigeon pose. SO good for stretching out post-running tight hips! This is my favourite way to do pigeon, just melting over your hips in a forward bend. Pleasure and pain, simultaneously :pac:

121610_0506_2_blog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Bump.

I had my first vinyassa class Monday, the day after my first 5k run and it was tough but good. I've totally got the yoga buzz :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hermione* wrote: »
    I nearly fell asleep during relaxation at the end of tonight's class! I guess that means the relaxation was really working :D

This happens to me nearly every time I take a yoga class on a Friday evening, was seriously *this* close to falling asleep during savasana last night! Was surprised at that because my back was playing up during class a bit and usually I find it hard to relax if that's the case...

Got a lot out of class last night though, only 4 of us there for ashtanga so got quite a lot of individual attention and adjustments.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ashtanga last night - every single correction that was made was to my neck position. Wasn't expecting that!

Also almost boobed myself in the face during bridge pose. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

?

I haven't done yoga in nearly a month :( Going next week as this week I am sick!

Boobed is a good adjective :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Heading back to class this week. My hamstrings and hips are delighted! :) This is a new class in town which is great because for ages we had no classes in town, and the class in the neighbouring town wasn't worth going to. <-this is the yoga forum, so i'm being gentle!

Favourite pose at the moment is half moon!
    Half-Moon-Pose.jpg

• Advertisement

Did a savage Vinyassa class tonight, was great to be back :)

Am getting much better at down dog and tree pose. Also was able to grab my left leg with right hand while in a low lunge (not sure what it's called).

Advertisement