Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probability of winning the irish lottery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

oh...

in laymans terms (being a non mathematician mesel') what this means is that it appears harder to avoid getting a lucky star when one matches five in the main draw than simply matching five in the plus draw.

by the way, despite the astronomical odds, can't resist the temptation to play as jackpot heading for €90,000,000 ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yep, that's pretty much it. It's purely down to the fact that one is the combination of two events in the main draw and one in the Plus draw.
    The same as it's harder to deal yourself a royal flush from a deck AND get an odd number from the throw of a dice than it is to just deal a royal flush.

Even though I know the odds are miniscule, I also will have a flutter when the prize gets big. I'm happy to spend a tenner on the remote chance of winning a large prize, even though I'm statistically much better off holding on to my money. The chances of winning if you haven't entered are zero :)

and zeroish by playing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Just something that I think is important to say:

If you get 4 numbers in the irish lotto you usually get about ten euro back. At the moment, if you get 4 numbers in my local lotto you get €11,000.

Also you have much more chance of gettin 4 numbers in the local lottery rather than the national one!

However at local level you don't have the opportunity to become a millionaire :)

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that it's not as simple as that. The four numbers you select must all come out whereas with lotto it's 4 from 6.
    Otherwise we'd all be down the bookies gettin' €6,000 for four and there'd be no National Lottery at all!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

according to wikipedia, this is the chances of winning and how it is layed out !!!

Calculation explained in choosing 6 from 49 [edit]In a typical 6/49 game, six numbers are drawn from a range of 49 and if the six numbers on a ticket match the numbers drawn, the ticket holder is a jackpot winner—this is true no matter in which order the numbers appear. The probability of this happening is 1 in 13,983,816.

This small chance of winning can be demonstrated as follows:

Starting with a bag of 49 differently-numbered lottery balls, there are 49 different but equally likely ways of choosing the number of the first ball selected from the bag, and so there is a 1 in 49 chance of predicting the number correctly. When the draw comes to the second number, there are now only 48 balls left in the bag (because the balls already drawn are not returned to the bag) so there is now a 1 in 48 chance of predicting this number.

Thus for each of the 49 ways of choosing the first number there are 48 different ways of choosing the second. This means that the probability of correctly predicting 2 numbers drawn from 49 in the correct order is calculated as 1 in 49 × 48. On drawing the third number there are only 47 ways of choosing the number; but of course we could have gotten to this point in any of 49 × 48 ways, so the chances of correctly predicting 3 numbers drawn from 49, again in the correct order, is 1 in 49 × 48 × 47. This continues until the sixth number has been drawn, giving the final calculation, 49 × 48 × 47 × 46 × 45 × 44, which can also be written as . This works out to a very large number, 10,068,347,520, which is much bigger than the 14 million stated above.

The last step is to understand that the order of the 6 numbers is not significant. That is, if a ticket has the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, it wins as long as all the numbers 1 through 6 are drawn, no matter what order they come out in. Accordingly, given any set of 6 numbers, there are 6 × 5 × 4 × 3 × 2 × 1 = 6! or 720 orders in which they could be drawn. Dividing 10,068,347,520 by 720 gives 13,983,816, also written as 49! / (6! × (49 - 6)!), or more generally as

This function is called the combination function; in Microsoft Excel, this function is implemented as COMBIN(n, k). For example, COMBIN(49, 6) (the calculation shown above), would return 13,983,816. For the rest of this article, we will use the notation . "Combination" means the group of numbers selected, irrespective of the order in which they are drawn.

An alternative method of calculating the odds is to never make the erroneous assumption that balls must be selected in a certain order. The probability of the first ball corresponding to one of the six chosen is 6/49; the probability of the second ball corresponding to one of the remaining five chosen is 5/48; and so on. This yields a final formula of

The range of possible combinations for a given lottery can be referred to as the "number space". "Coverage" is the percentage of a lottery's number space that is in play for a given drawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ispeakthetruth

Have to ask, consider the odds are massive, and put that to one side for a moment. Using a distribution curve, obviously normality/non-normality would have to be determined first, could the bell curve give and reasonable ideas of probabilities on sequences? For example, the numbers are 1 to 49 (I think), but if say the most recurring combinations with respect to time/number of events add up to say 120 [20 + 32 + 38.....] kind of a median so to speak... could one determine a reasonable sequence? Now it would be crazy to assume 6 from the 49, but perhaps three, and using the bookie [the bookie gives better odds on smaller sequences than the national lotto. Head scratching.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Have to ask, consider the odds are massive, and put that to one side for a moment. Using a distribution curve, obviously normality/non-normality would have to be determined first, could the bell curve give and reasonable ideas of probabilities on sequences? For example, the numbers are 1 to 49 (I think), but if say the most recurring combinations with respect to time/number of events add up to say 120 [20 + 32 + 38.....] kind of a median so to speak... could one determine a reasonable sequence? Now it would be crazy to assume 6 from the 49, but perhaps three, and using the bookie [the bookie gives better odds on smaller sequences than the national lotto. Head scratching.....
    Simple answer: no. The probability of 1-2-3 coming out will always be the same as the probability of 47-48-49 coming out. Analysing past draws will never, ever, ever change that

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ispeakthetruth

28064212 wrote: »
    Simple answer: no. The probability of 1-2-3 coming out will always be the same as the probability of 47-48-49 coming out. Analysing past draws will never, ever, ever change that

I appreciate that and agree completely. What I am wondering is if patterns could be of use? The bell curve is an extremely powerful tool, used extensively in industry to estimate error, reliability etc.

• Advertisement

I appreciate that and agree completely. What I am wondering is if patterns could be of use? The bell curve is an extremely powerful tool, used extensively in industry to estimate error, reliability etc.
    It is only used if past performance is an indicator of future performance. This is never, ever, ever true for a random draw.

Say you do all the analysis, plot the curve, figure out which sequences or median or patterns are most common. Will that ever tell you whether 1,2,3 is more likely to come out than 47,48,49? No, it won't, because the probability will always be exactly the same

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You could make a good prediction for the sum of the lotto numbers but it wouldn't increase your chances of winning. There are far more combinations which would sum to 120 than there are that'd sum to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Sorry to resurrect this.

Has there been any online winners of large amounts in the lotto?

Reason I ask is, I always do mine online but havent heard of any winners that werent associated with shops in particular areas?

Maybe i am being paranoid but have you a better chance doing it in a shop or is it exactly the same?
    Cheers.

sham69 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this.

Has there been any online winners of large amounts in the lotto?

Reason I ask is, I always do mine online but havent heard of any winners that werent associated with shops in particular areas?

Maybe i am being paranoid but have you a better chance doing it in a shop or is it exactly the same?
    Cheers.
    Exactly the same. Far less people do it online, so it's much less likely to have a winner from online. Also, even if someone does win online, they're likely to just refer to them as a "winner from ...". When it's won in a shop, the shop is going to actively look for their name to be associated with the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

So there was SIX winning tickets of the main lotto yesterday....

so whats that 8,145,060 to 1. x 6? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think that the statistical experience of large lotteries is something like this -- when they sell about as many tickets as the number of combinations, then about two-thirds of the time there will be one winner, and about half of those will yield two winners, three would be unusual.

When ticket sales are larger, let's say four times the number of random combinations, then the chance of at least one winner is way up to close to 90% and there is a much greater chance of two winners or more. At some point, the chance of 2,3 or 4 winners would probably exceed the chance of only one winner. So given that the number of sales often rises with a larger jackpot in these lotteries, an outcome like six winners is not that anomalous. The percentage chance of it, exactly, would always be small. But there might be some number of sales, probably in the order of ten times random combinations, where six might be near the top of the bell curve.

You can calculate these things if you have a lot of time and a powerful computer, the formula for probability of having a winner or excluding cases of no winner is basically this:

1 - [(x-1)/x]^n

where x is the number of combinations in the winning lottery ticket and n is the number sold.

Note that when the number sold is equal to combinations, then x equals n.

For increasing values of n (combinations), this case of sales equalling combinations starts at 0.75 for 2 (the chances of throwing a head or a tail in the first two tries) and slowly decreases towards a presumed limit around 0.6, the values being 0.703 for three, 0.684 for four, .670 for five, .665 for six, and .651 for ten. By one hundred combinations, it only drops a bit further to around .634.

In other words, when you get up into the size of a national lottery of any kind, with millions of combinations, and sales equal the number of combinations, then there will be better than a 50-50 chance of a winner. Now if you double that amount of sales, there will be a squared value of the non-winner fraction (the minus part of the equation) so if that was 0.4, it ends up at 0.16 giving us an expectation that 84% of the time, a double-sale of combinations will produce at least one winner.

So what's the math for a second winner? That is even more complicated and it's not as simple as saying 60% of the 60% or 80% of the 80%, that would only be the case if the excluded first winner was always the first case selected, and there's a random chance of it sitting anywhere from first to last. My impression from a rather casual inspection of actual results of our own similar lottery here, is that when sales reach about three or four times the number of combinations, you are past the 50-50 point for a second winning ticket.

I would say the result of six winning tickets not being extraordinary is about equivalent to selling ten to fifteen times the combinations, just rough numbers, don't have the computer capacity to test it out really. When you get up into large numbers of tickets sold in relation to combinations, the distribution of winners (1, 2, 3, 4 ... etc) begins to look like a very flat bell curve with some chance of a number greater than 1 or even 2 having the highest single probability. But for most cases, the most likely number of winners remains one, although the cumulative probability of 2-6 might overwhelm that single probability.

My excel program won't go past about 1 billion (as in 1,000 million) combinations, and around that level, the probability of no winner has levelled off at about 36.78% which is already the case by one million. I have the feeling that there may be a maximum with this statistic then slowly decreasing again. So there may be some number of combinations at which the probability of one or more winners reaches a minimum but above 63%. I don't know if I can trust my excel program with such large numbers but this appears to be reached around 10 to 20 million. However, the differences all the way from 1 million to where my limited computer can't process any more, are very very small (no winners in the 36.8 per cent range). And the precise value to six decimals for the Irish lottery is

(8,145,060 permutations, and that many tickets bought)

no winner ... 36.787942 per cent chance.

which gives you one or more winners ... 63.21 per cent chance.

For 25 million sales, the chance of no (grand prize) winner drops to 4.6 per cent, so the chance of at least one winner is 95.4 per cent. At that level, you would have to suppose that six winners would be as likely as any similar outcome.

Since it may be known that this poster has interests in the weather field, I thought it might be interesting to examine whether this approach works as a guide to long-range forecasting (fast forward, not too well).

If monthly weather conditions were entirely independent (i.e., not dependent on any cause and effect whether understood or assumed) then it might be possible to construct statement such as this:

There is an equal chance that one of the three summer months (take this either as June to August or June 21 to July 20 etc) would be warmer than average. To make it more relevant to how we perceive weather, let's say there's an equal one in three chance of each month being notably warm (about 1 deg above normal). So would that not follow the logic of random distribution outlined above, so that we could say,

chance of no warm month is (2/3) cubed or 8/27, therefore chance is 19/27 that any given summer will produce at least one notably warm month.

The problem with this approach is that it assumes no background dependency. There is in fact something like a 0.4 correlation between June and July temperatures and a higher one for July-August. This would suggest that your actual experience would equate to fewer than the randomly predicted 19/27 summers having at least one notably warm month, but a few having 2 or 3. This has indeed been the case in actual statistics. The frequency of summers having at least one notably warm month is closer to 50-50 than the almost three in four chance predicted by 19/27. But when they do occur, two out of three is often the standard achieved.

Lotteries might have some non-random elements not immediately obvious. I gather yours is a 45 choose 6 type lottery, as I mentioned, we have a 6-49 lottery here in Canada (and that's what it is called too). In either case, one form of non-randomness of outcome would be the range of numbers drawn, because many people play birth dates and anniversaries, all of which would have to fall in the range 1 to 31. Even more limiting, half the numbers would fall in the range 1 to 12. This means that the ticket pool is likely to be disproportionately shifted towards those lower numbers, and if the actual winning number draw goes high, the predicted number of winners would very likely be lower than random over time.

You could even make the case that your ticket is marginally more valuable in expected value over time, if you avoid the lower numbers, because you will reduce the chances of duplicating another winner's tickets (this might actually be testable at the more frequently paid out partial sets). However, you are still well into the negative investment range if your technique involves anything other than clairvoyance or a tardis. I prefer a blend of these. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Can anyone post the odds of getting 3 numbers out of 7 in a 49 number draw and 3 numbers out of 5 in a 50 number draw please. The formulas are confusing me,
    Thanks.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

someones off to the bookies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Donn Cuailnge

On the 3rd of February lotto draw there were 23,055 match 3 winners and 1,242 match 3 + bonus winners. That means 24,297 lines matched 3 numbers from the six main balls drawn.
    My question is this how can the above info be used to calculate how many lines of the lotto were purchased last Wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

On the 3rd of February lotto draw there were 23,055 match 3 winners and 1,242 match 3 + bonus winners. That means 24,297 lines matched 3 numbers from the six main balls drawn.
    My question is this how can the above info be used to calculate how many lines of the lotto were purchased last Wednesday night?

Probability of matching 3 balls is 1 in 50.36385

Estimated number of lines purchased: 24,297 x 50.36385 =1,223,690

Actual number of lines purchased could be up to 300 higher or 300 lower than that estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Donn Cuailnge

Probability of matching 3 balls is 1 in 50.36385

Estimated number of lines purchased: 24,297 x 50.36385 =1,223,690

Actual number of lines purchased could be up to 300 higher or 300 lower than that estimate.

how did you calculate the 50.36385?
    If a line matched 4 balls, that same line matched 3 balls 4 times. Would you need to multiply the winning combinations in the 4, 5 and match 6 also?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

how did you calculate the 50.36385?
    If a line matched 4 balls, that same line matched 3 balls 4 times. Would you need to multiply the winning combinations in the 4, 5 and match 6 also?

Good Question! You are correct that a match-4 includes 4 match-3 instances.

However the calculation I used considers the probability of picking 3 'good' balls out of 6 'good' balls, and 3 'bad' balls out of 41 'bad' balls, so we avoid match-4 instances.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottery_mathematics for more details!

If you don't want to know all the maths, but just need the answer use http://www.lottogenie.com/html/odds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Thud

There were 5 winners of Fridays Euromillions draw for €39m, thought it was unusual. Wiki says 1-116.5m chance of winning so looks unlikely that they sold multiples of that figure for what is a medium sized draw.

Numbers drawn were somewhat sequential so more likely cause:
    8, 16, 32, 40, 50 2, 11

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you bought every single combination of ticket, say the 8+ million tickets, how many actual winning tickets do you have?

Taking into consideration all of the Match 5 + BONUS, Match 5, Match 4+Bonus, Match 4, Match 3+Bonus, Match 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭ Gemma Black Sprocket

Really interested in statistics. Wonder is there any fun/interesting ways of applying this to the lottery to increase your chances? :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I suspect the only way of applying statistics to the lottery is to study them and then realise the draw is random and the odds are so high it's not worth playing.

The balls have no memory of what numbers were drawn in the previous draw. Perhaps if certain balls weighed slightly differently or were distorted perhaps it might be relevant, but I suspect the balls are designed to be very similar. You would also need to work out which machine and balls were used for each draw if different machines are used each week (as in the UK).

As others have indicated "game theory" might influence how many others play the same numbers, potentially reducing your winnings. e.g. the lottery is probably won more often with all numbers under 30 as many people use birth dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Thud

Story on probabilities for last week's draw.

Is the part about 23 being selected correct?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yes. If we assume that all lotto balls are equally likely to be selected from the drum, and that a player also chooses their numbers at random, then it is only 6 times more likely to match 5 and the bonus ball (1 in 1,789,595.5 chance) over matching all 6 main numbers (1 in 10,737,573 chance).

Yet, in the draw the article mentions, only 1 person matched all 6, but 149 matched 5 and the bonus ball. So, almost 25 times more winners for 5 and the bonus ball than we would expect from a random set of numbers! However, so few players (just 1) got all 6 numbers correct, so this is a small sample from which to choose.

The article uses a better approach. It explains that 250 players matched exactly 5 regular balls (i.e. without the bonus ball), while, as above, 149 players matched 5 balls with the bonus ball. Now, matching 5 balls without the bonus ball is much easier (again, assuming everything is randomly chosen) than matching 5 balls and the bonus ball. In fact, it is 40 times less likely to match to match 5 with the bonus than it is to match exactly 5 balls, so we'd expect 40 times fewer players to do this. However, 149/250 is about 60%, so rather than 40 times fewer players, we have more than half as many players doing this. So, again, as above, we could conclude that players like this particular bonus ball.

Although, I wonder how many players pick their own numbers these days versus just asking for a quick pick? The article suggests people still play their own numbers (as it mentions including numbers 32 to 47 as another strategy, as these numbers can't be the day of the month in birthdates). It used to be that you'd fill in a slip with your desired numbers and hand it to the shop assistant, but I haven't seen those slips in a long time (could be I just haven't noticed them). Of course you can choose your numbers online, but again, what fraction of players do the lotto this way? Maybe quite a few? If not, the above analyses may suggest a bias in the quick pick algorithm, i.e. a propensity for the number 23...

Advertisement