Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Griffiths Valuation Map

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

I have been reviewing Griffiths Valuation at the following link:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

I was checking out the map associated with Griffiths Valuation, something I did not ever look at before.

Ok, I can see that the map is divided into townlands. And most townloands are then divided into "holdings"? What exactly are the townlands divided into? For example, Would it only put a red line around a holding that contained a house? Or would it put a red line around a field as well???

I have also noted that in some townlands, holdingd were not individually marked - Why would this be the case for some townlands and not others???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I do not know the answer to this...I'll have a look at my various genealogy books when I'm home and see if John Grenham or someone knows. However, it's logical to presume that it wouldn't have to include a house because Landowner A might not necessarily have all his land in the same place.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

However, it's logical to presume that it wouldn't have to include a house because Landowner A might not necessarily have all his land in the same place.

I thought Griffiths valuation was for landholders, rather than land owners?

It would be logical if a landholder didnt have all his land in one place; This would actually make sense with the part of the map that I am looking at. But then there are huge chunks on the map which are not specified as anything. I would imagine that these fields would have been used as something so why arent these fields marked in red???

GV shows land lessors, yes, I just meant that you wouldn't necessarily be living on the land you worked, you'd just be paying the rates. I can't answer your question in detail.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

one point to note is that the maps on AskAboutIreland are not the original maps but actually date from slightly later, and have had the property lines added in later. The original maps (which are in black and white) are available on Origins Network which is a subscription website - but is available free in the National Library.

A property boundary was simply a defined plot of land and could contain dwellings, other buildings such as a mill, stables or lime kilns, or just land.

Shane

Grenham et al have nothing further useful on what a holding is defined as. The valuation office may be able to help you on this point.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

one point to note is that the maps on AskAboutIreland are not the original maps but actually date from slightly later, and have had the property lines added in later. The original maps (which are in black and white) are available on Origins Network which is a subscription website - but is available free in the National Library.

A property boundary was simply a defined plot of land and could contain dwellings, other buildings such as a mill, stables or lime kilns, or just land.

I thought I remembered looking at a different map before alright. Any idea what year the map on AskAboutIreland would be from?

ok, if that is the definition of a property boundary, the question remaions why so much land is not outlined in the map... I can see from the map that some fields are marked (Where there would have been no house or anything else AFAIK) whereas other fields are unmarked. There has to be a reason for this...
    Grenham et al have nothing further useful on what a holding is defined as. The valuation office may be able to help you on this point.

Thanks for checking Pinky, Much appreciated.

I thought I remembered looking at a different map before alright. Any idea what year the map on AskAboutIreland would be from?

ok, if that is the definition of a property boundary, the question remaions why so much land is not outlined in the map... I can see from the map that some fields are marked (Where there would have been no house or anything else AFAIK) whereas other fields are unmarked. There has to be a reason for this...

they (AskABoutIreland) dont give a details on the date of their map, but some small differences (a few buildings, roads etc) have been located against the actual Griffith's maps. In most cases they appear to date to a few years later. The other point to remember is that the Griffith's survey date differed from area to area - between 1847 and 1864

Several possibilities that I can think of... common land, land including bogs, mountain etc., or areas that AskAboutIreland did not include the boundary lines for some reason.

can you give an example of a townland that you have seen this?

Shane

Out of curiosity I had a look at a few townlands on Griffiths where some of my ancestors lived, and haven't seen any unmarked areas on the AskAboutIreland maps. Some of the individual property boundaries extend around several field boundaries at once - so these are not separately marked, but are part of the same overall holding.

The valuation includes a summed total area for each townland, which on the cases I looked at, matched the area for the townland shown on the map. I suspect this figure may be included as a cross check, to confirm that no land in the townland had been left out of the valuation.

see approximate areas for each townland on the townland database at : www.seanruad.com

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

Hi Shanew, so you confirm that there are two versions of the Griffith val. maps? This is interesting for me - as I'm looking into how my town (Greystones) evolved around the time of the coming of the railway. The railway was built (or at least, trains started running in) 1855. The map on askAboutIreland shows the railway in place. Perhaps the older version shows the town just before it got built?

The maps on AskAboutIreland are later than the actual Griffith's maps.

The originals are available on OriginsNetwork website (subscription). I think this is still free to access in the National Library.

If you want good historic maps try the OSI website - http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/

The 6" maps are 1st edition OS and date from between the late 1820s and early 1840s. The 25" maps are from about 1890

Shane

not sign of a Railway in Greystones on the 6" map... see : http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,729440,712770,6,7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

Thanks Shane, Yes - I'm used to using the OSI and the AskaboutIreland maps - what's new for me is that there are two versions of the Griffith maps. If you have a subscription, can you take a quick look to see if there is any change between the two versions for G'stones?

ALSO, are there other versions of OSI maps in existence? I have a feeling I saw an old town map (in British Lib, in London) of the town and I'm pretty sure it doesn't correspond to either version on the OSI website.

The OSI website is excellent - great to be able to browse through the old maps, but it doesn't associate an exact date with each map.

It would be good to have a complete list of all maps with dates and revisions with dates - just to know what's in existence. Thanks again for the info.

There are other editions of the maps, but not online. I'd say National Archives, National Library or a local library would be the place to try..

Some of the Co. Wicklow libraries have good collections

Shane

Advertisement