Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Dáil Illegal and does it matter?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

"Ipso wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about your debate. .

Then what on earth are you doing here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

tdv123 wrote: »
    I'm very bemused at the anti-Republican sentiment on this site. It was Republicans who did more than anyone other group of people who founded this state & Republicans who more than any other group who are trying to bring about reunification, I know some people on here think a UI is a bad thing but I think after the dust settles we'll be stronger with the North.

Maybe if certain republicans stopped telling people that they don't know what they are doing and only they know best they would get more respect.

Claiming that a democratically elected government is not legitimate, yet a self appointed terrorist army is, isn't ,exactly helping you win hearts and minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The IRA army council is the only legit governing body in Ireland. The Dail gave up it's right when it voted for the Anglo-Irish treaty. So yes, it's illegal
    I'm very bemused at the anti-Republican sentiment on this site. It was Republicans who did more than anyone other group of people who founded this state & Republicans who more than any other group who are trying to bring about reunification, I know some people on here think a UI is a bad thing but I think after the dust settles we'll be stronger with the North.

I suggest that your bemusement is not due to anti-republican sentiment here, it is due to your thought processes. What you have written has nothing to do with 'History' and also is bereft of legality and economic logic.

As for your notions of a United Ireland, you might like to consider the cost of replacing the British subsidy paid to NI. For example, the economic inactivity rate for those aged 16-64 in NI stands at 27.9%. This rate continues to rise and is consistently above the UK average rate (22.2%) and was the highest rate among the twelve UK regions. The biggest employer in NI is the State, with about 14+% employed in ‘administration & defence’ along with 8% working in education, 14% in social work and another 4% in social and community services. Economically, the RoI cannot afford the Six Counties, it perhaps was marginal during the Celtic Tiger but it is out of the question now.

You could also ponder that Fianna Fail, the Republican Party, allowed this economy to be derailed while Fine Gael stood on the sidelines with no notion of what is happening. The Greens had a press conference on lightbulbs the day Lehmans went down the tubes and Sinn Fein was busy elsewhere, (fundraising in places like the Northern Bank). The latter's economic policies are so inane they are not worth debating..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The IRA army council is the only legit governing body in Ireland. The Dail gave up it's right when it voted for the Anglo-Irish treaty. So yes, it's illegal

There has been debate here as to what people voted for in 1918. Even if we accept your version of that, people and their democratically elected representatives have a right to change their minds, and to vote governments in and out, without regard to the wishes of the dead, though one appreciates that those from the " vote early and often" tradition, where ballot boxes are stuffed with dead people's votes, may have difficulty grappling with that. The Good Friday Agreement was endorsed by a majority of Northern Catholics, Northern Protestants, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, and Ireland as a whole. If that is not a democratic mandate, overriding all that went before, I don't know what is. Of course, those who know better than the people may disagree, persons such as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, Generalisimo Franco and your good self.

Advertisement