Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Representation of Ireland on the UK Coat of Arms

• 15-02-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

So I've just noticed on a sterling coin that the Irish harp is located on the Coat of Arms (CoA) of the UK.

After further study (..hmm that makes me sound like Jim Corr), I learned that the harp represents Ireland's 'place in the United Kingdom'.

Now, I know this CoA was designed centuries ago, but is it not time for it to be replaced out of respect for us Irish people and our nation? And I realise that in present day it represents Northern Ireland but surely they could design a new emblem of sorts?

AFAIK the harp symbol was introduced for Ireland by Henry VIII so in theory it is not 'ours', but over the centuries it has been incorporated into our lives so it is indeed a part of us and not of the UK.

What do you think of this?

Picture source:
    http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/motto.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

First noticed this at Princess Diana's funeral. Its a bit strange kind of similar to the use of St Patrick's saltire in the Union flag.

Personally its an emblem of a foreign nation so they can put what they like on it and its not gonna bother me. Kind of surprised Irish unionists don't make more of a fuss about it though, like say suggesting having it changed to the red hand. You'll notice around marching season when there's hundreds of unionist/loyalist flags on the streets in Northern Ireland you'll never see a St.Patricks saltire flag. However they did use the harp on the likes of the RUC badge so perhaps have affinity with it despite it being a reminder that Ireland was once a single entity within the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

First noticed this at Princess Diana's funeral. Its a bit strange kind of similar to the use of St Patrick's saltire in the Union flag.

Personally its an emblem of a foreign nation so they can put what they like on it and its not gonna bother me. Kind of surprised Irish unionists don't make more of a fuss about it though, like say suggesting having it changed to the red hand. You'll notice around marching season when there's hundreds of unionist/loyalist flags on the streets in Northern Ireland you'll never see a St.Patricks saltire flag. However they did use the harp on the likes of the RUC badge so perhaps have affinity with it despite it being a reminder that Ireland was once a single entity within the UK

ahh god be with the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Now, I know this CoA was designed centuries ago, but is it not time for it to be replaced out of respect for us Irish people and our nation? And I realise that in present day it represents Northern Ireland but surely they could design a new emblem of sorts?

It is the least of Ireland's problems right now.
    Put it on the list and we can get to it when the economy stabilises and grows, the banking regulatory system is changed, the property market returns, tribal/party politics are fizzled out and the bailout debt is fully paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Wales isn't even represented on the Jack/Union Jack, since it was annexed by England in 1282.

Sh1t happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Would it not just be easier for the RoI to stop using it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It doesn't bother me at all. Going through all that trouble for sensitivity is a bit uneccesary. It reminds me of the time some guy tried to sue the US government to change the money since as an aetheist he found it offensive to carry around cash in his pocket that proclaimed 'In god we trust'. I mean a belief is all well and good but they're just objects whose meaning is a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

No no, we want to have our flag and eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I could be wrong but isn't the harp the Rep of Ireland uses orientated the other way round to the one the British flag? It's a different design of harp too.

I wonder if reversing the harp was warning that we were going backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

The harp is an established symbol of Ireland.

If we started using the three Lions on our flag would you suggest the English stop using this? No? Same principle would apply here.

I would have more issues with British Lordships over sovereign Irish territory, but unfortunately as part of Ireland is still under British rule the excuse is there for this arrogant and condescending behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

catbear wrote: »
    I could be wrong but isn't the harp the Rep of Ireland uses orientated the other way round to the one the British flag? It's a different design of harp too.

I wonder if reversing the harp was warning that we were going backwards.

Indeed.

638px-Flag_President_of_Ireland.svg.png
    Compared to
    coatbrit.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Wasn't the first St Patricks parade a protestant one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Who cares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

T runner wrote: »
    The harp is an established symbol of Ireland.

If we started using the three Lions on our flag would you suggest the English stop using this? No? Same principle would apply here.

I would have more issues with British Lordships over sovereign Irish territory, but unfortunately as part of Ireland is still under British rule the excuse is there for this arrogant and condescending behaviour.

Established by the British. Why don't you invent your own symbols rather than pinch ours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Who cares!
    Agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Agree.
    Yeah I dont really care either tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭paul71

Not really anything controversal here.

So the harp is on a UK coat of arms.

Symbols like this always become mixed up, an earlier poster alluded to the Red Hand as a unionist symbol, which it is now, but is in fact the O'Neill coat of arms. The clan which mounted the most effective campaign against British rule anywhere in the world until the American Revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well, if we are happy with it appearing on a can of stout...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Agree.

First time I've ever seen you agree with someone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Yeah I dont really care either tbh

Why did you go to the bother of coming into the thread and posting then if you do not care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Why did you go to the bother of coming into the thread and posting then if you do not care?

I don't really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

The Union Flag incorporates St. Patrick's Flag to represent Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Should have thought that this thread belonged in Ranting & Raving rather than here. Some people have little to worry them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thread could have been a decent discussion but people decided to make an arse of that. locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement