Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fort Lurgan Virginia Co Cavan ( Hospital, Nursing Home )??

• 02-02-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Im trying to do a bit of research on the building that currently houses St Josephs Nursing Home in Virginia Co Cavan, Can anybody help me out with some info??

I have heard it may have been a British Army Barracks, Maternity Hospital, Hospital, Childrens Home can anybody put any truth to this?

Kind Regards

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lynchiered

Victor wrote: »
    Where is it?

Its on the oldcastle road between virginia and oldcastle, on the banks of lough ramor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

lynchiered wrote: »
    Im trying to do a bit of research on the building that currently houses St Josephs Nursing Home in Virginia Co Cavan, Can anybody help me out with some info??

I have heard it may have been a British Army Barracks, Maternity Hospital, Hospital, Childrens Home can anybody put any truth to this?

Kind Regards

Paul

Hey Paul- The building was a Maternity hospital before being a nursing home. I'm not fully sure of the dates but I know I had an uncle born there in the 1950's. It was run as a maternity hospital by an order of nuns. Prior to that I am less sure but I think it was simple a large house. It is marked as 'Fort George Glebe house' on historical maps from 1837-1842. The resurveyed maps from the turn of the century (1888-1913) have the building marked as 'Rectory'. I would be interested to know if you find any more on its history. I don't know of any link with British military but maybe from 1918-22 it may have been a friendly site for them (i'm speculating).

Map from 1837-42 as reference:

displayimage.cgi?id=3833&size=f&type=m1

Hey Paul- The building was a Maternity hospital before being a nursing home. I'm not fully sure of the dates but I know I had an uncle born there in the 1950's. It was run as a maternity hospital by an order of nuns. Prior to that I am less sure but I think it was simple a large house. It is marked as 'Fort George Glebe house' on historical maps from 1837-1842. The resurveyed maps from the turn of the century (1888-1913) have the building marked as 'Rectory'. I would be interested to know if you find any more on its history. I don't know of any link with British military but maybe from 1918-22 it may have been a friendly site for them (i'm speculating).

Map from 1837-42 as reference:

displayimage.cgi?id=3833&size=f&type=m1

Any idea of the name of the order that ran it or the name of the Maternity hospital?

I have just found out that french order that ran the maternity hospital was the french sisters of mercy. Any more info would be welcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement