Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had to laugh it was Dolly. My 5yo was always laughing and sniggering when that song was played and one day we asked her why.
    She said it sounded like an old person trying to sing while her false teeth were falling out. It's one of the funniest things I've heard in ages and all the funniest because it's not a million miles from the truth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

PaulT21 wrote: »
    The last song was from Dolly Parton, "A Holly Jolly Christmas"

To be honest I was a bit disappointed with that choice:(

Was hoping for something more my style, like Last Christmas, or even Mariah:o

Still it was great to have the station live for one more day.

Interesting. Thought they would have gone with We need a little Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Interesting. Thought they would have gone with We need a little Christmas.

I think it's fitting they did for FM closure, to be Online isn't as big of a deal, especially when they randomly pop up on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    I think it's fitting they did for FM closure, to be Online isn't as big of a deal, especially when they randomly pop up on and off.

I agree. The FM Launch & end are the 'real' symbolic song choices. And that's fair enough IMO.

Hope we do get the odd online day throughout the year though, the one last summer was a great day, was convinced I'd be turning it off early & ended up getting well into it & posting here about it most of the working day... really gave me a lift at the time & suspect we'll be needing the odd lift this year too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Quick query. I rarely stay up late with Christmas FM on, but during the season they have live presenters (i.e. online and on FM) are there times (say 1am-6am) where there are no presenters and just a playlist? Or do they maintain a presenter 24/7 during that period?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't think there is a presenter at night, but open to correction on this, especially as 2020 was something of a different year!

Posy wrote: »
    I don't think there is a presenter at night, but open to correction on this, especially as 2020 was something of a different year!

I have a vague recollection there is a spell in the wee hours with none. I remember one year (pre covid) being on a night out with the Mrs & when we came home put it on as we were staying up for a night cap and there was no presenter, but like yourself couldn't be 100% sure of that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From 1am to 6am there’s no presenters. Just a playlist like it is during the off-season.

I was doubting myself, in case somebody was WFH and broadcasting from their bed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

A few years ago they did have a presenter between 12pm and 3am on weeknights during its FM run. I remember hearing Dave Miller, a UK deejay, for the first time in 2016 (had to check my posts on Radio forum!). I found out then that he had been doing this gig until 3am since 2015. I know he was still there in 2017, but not sure after that.

See these posts from 2016 on the Radio Forum:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101969366

• Advertisement

From 1am to 6am there’s no presenters. Just a playlist like it is during the off-season.

Thats what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

A few years ago they did have a presenter between 12pm and 3am on weeknights during its FM run. I remember hearing Dave Miller, a UK deejay, for the first time in 2016 (had to check my posts on Radio forum!). I found out then that he had been doing this gig until 3am since 2015. I know he was still there in 2017, but not sure after that.

See these posts from 2016 on the Radio Forum:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101969366

Darragh who has an account on here just to host a 12-3am slot too.

He once did a boards top 10 for us during that slot, again that was a couple of years ago, I imagine they figured the listenership at that time didn't require live presenters anymore.

I imagine they figured the listenership at that time didn't require live presenters anymore.

Makes sense to be fair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

DvB wrote: »
    Makes sense to be fair.

Yep, most radio stations are either voice tracked or just no announcer overnights and at slow times so for a non for profit it makes sense to make use of such technology while keeping things going.

Just wondering, have they announced yet how much was raised for Alone this year? Normally its revealed/announced before the end of January and keen to see if they smashed the record (which IIRC was for Temple Street in 2018?)

Just wondering, have they announced yet how much was raised for Alone this year? Normally its revealed/announced before the end of January and keen to see if they smashed the record (which IIRC was for Temple Street in 2018?)

Nothing on their socials yet, hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Think Barretstown last year just edged by Temple Street but only by a few K.

Hopefully Alone will go above them both.

Just announced today. €284,107 raised.

Great amount. Fair play to all at ChristmasFM.

Just announced today. €284,107 raised.

Great amount. Fair play to all at ChristmasFM.

I was at first disappointed when I heard that figure, but on reflection given how many people were affected negatively financially in 2020 with covid and PUP payments and pay cuts it was inevitable that the higher figures of 2018 and 2019 were unlikely to be matched. So to be close enough to 300k given the circumstances is a fantastic achievement. A huge well done to all involved.

The golden rule is anything with children and animals will do well. Other charities struggle.

So baring that in mind it’s a good figure.

• Advertisement

The golden rule is anything with children and animals will do well. Other charities struggle.

It is indeed a good figure. I suspect my own thought that Alone was an inspired choice of charity for the times we live in that I allowed myself to get carried away expecting a huge windfall. Hindsight as they say is 20:20 though and I remember posting about charity for the elderly being perceived differently by the general public a while back, so with that in mind had adjusted my expectation accordingly and recognised how well they actually did.

Looking forward to seeing who this years charity partner is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

And lots of workplaces (mine included) have a chosen charity for the year and there are so many looking for donations this time of year.

I don't think Christmas FM have ever chosen an animal charity, sadly. :(

2008: ISPCC – €35,000

2009: Simon Community – €71,237

2010: Barnardos – €86,000

2011: Focus Ireland – €117,000

2012: ISPCC – €100,000

2013: Aware – €85,000

2014: Age Action – €107,000

2015: Make A Wish – €278,000

2016: Focus Ireland – €365,000

2017: Sightsavers – €214,000

2018: Temple Street - €404,551

2019: Barretstown - €412,021

2020: Alone - €284,107

I think OAP charities get tarnish with the notion that old people live in big houses with small overheads and spend their time traveling, playing golf etc. While that might be the case for some for the majority live is far from that unfortunately.

TRS30 wrote: »
    I think OAP charities get tarnish with the notion that old people live in big houses with small overheads and spend their time traveling, playing golf etc. While that might be the case for some for the majority live is far from that unfortunately.

Thats pretty much what I was saying previously. Especially around election times when the diatribe is that the OAP's are well set up & hoard the wealth etc. when the truth is many struggle on the state pension & nothing else. Its really sad.

BTW, looking through IG last night & saw the post from Christmas FM sharing the cheque being handed over, was reading through the comments & reckon I may have spotted a couple of regulars from in here :pac: good to see if so!!

Been listening to Christmas FM classical & carols the last few days & have just copped it appears to be the same playlist every day. I pretty much turn it on to the same tune every morning at the same time! Or is that pure coincidence?

The only other bug bear is the lst showing the previously (& current song) being played doesnt update so I've no way of knowing the names of the songs which is really frustrating me. Anyone any suggestions to address that or is it just an issue with the websites?

The only other bug bear is the lst showing the previously (& current song) being played doesnt update so I've no way of knowing the names of the songs which is really frustrating me. Anyone any suggestions to address that or is it just an issue with the websites?

Sadly that's a common problem with with app/website. You could try and contact them on their website to let them know, but I doubt it's big on their priority list to fix.

As for the same playlist each day at same time, I know the regular ChristmasFM one is different, but I imagine the classical one might not have as big of a pool of songs to play from so it might well be the same list.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Been listening to Christmas FM classical & carols the last few days & have just copped it appears to be the same playlist every day. I pretty much turn it on to the same tune every morning at the same time! Or is that pure coincidence?

The Are you Bill Murray by any chance:pac:

Groundhog Day is over:D:D or not maybe :D

• Advertisement

Is the first song every morning 'I Got You Babe?' :D

Advertisement