Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The pre and post cycle lane comparison is pretty stark here:

It's also really apparent in the Blackrock Sandycove cycle lane. If you build it they will come, and they have, resulting in quieter, safer street, less pollution, cleaner air etc. The amount of cyclists on it now in comparison to before is unbelievable, kids, women, young and old, families etc.

The expected blocking of the Rock road didn't happen, I cycle both frequently before and after the lane went in.

It's hard to argue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's in a while now and a wonderful resource it is.

Anybody seen any data around how much traffic dropped off on that route, and - even better - any figures on conversions from motorised commuting to pedalling? Did the traffic simply divert? Was there hullabaloo from residents of Monkstown village etc?

Must be hard to capture but would be interesting.

Cheeky scooter from 3:20 in the clip above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That Utrecht video is like a different planet. You notice in Holland that everyone is tall, no one is fat, and there's no helmets or high vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm all for cycling and cycling infrastructure, but it doesn't make you any taller, and there's plenty of fat people on Holland

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That's in a while now and a wonderful resource it is.

Anybody seen any data around how much traffic dropped off on that route, and - even better - any figures on conversions from motorised commuting to pedalling? Did the traffic simply divert? Was there hullabaloo from residents of Monkstown village etc?

Must be hard to capture but would be interesting.

Cheeky scooter from 3:20 in the clip above :)

it is impossible to say until people are back working in offices.

I live near the southern end of that stretch and as a driver it is a pain in the arse to be honest.

From a cycling perspective, it is nowehere near as busy as it was when it was built, but Sandycove is obviously less busy in the winter except for a few die hards and they have always walked there, or in the case of the new generation of winter swimmers, dry robes on a bike don't work, so they have stuck to their 4x4s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aegir wrote: »
    it is impossible to say until people are back working in offices.

I live near the southern end of that stretch and as a driver it is a pain in the arse to be honest.

From a cycling perspective, it is nowehere near as busy as it was when it was built, but Sandycove is obviously less busy in the winter except for a few die hards and they have always walked there, or in the case of the new generation of winter swimmers, dry robes on a bike don't work, so they have stuck to their 4x4s.

I've seen a few people in Dryrobes on bikes. Last weekend one lady had some belt or strap around it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've seen a few people in Dryrobes on bikes. Last weekend one lady had some belt or strap around it.

What an excellent idea. Perfect post swim pedal home wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cletus wrote: »
    I'm all for cycling and cycling infrastructure, but it doesn't make you any taller, and there's plenty of fat people on Holland

the Dutch are among the tallest people on earth - coincidence?

(probably, yes).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Dutch are the tallest in the world I think. And they're way down the EU overweight lists, you really notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm not challenging the height of the Dutch nation, it was more the suggested correlation between that and cycling. The post was mostly tongue in cheek

The Dutch are the tallest in the world I think. And they're way down the EU overweight lists, you really notice it.

When you live in a low flat country that could have a catastrophic flood, I guess being tall is part of natural selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »

I'm absolutely in favour of this, its appropriate and will be brilliant for the City. I do think the local businesses will secure 24hr access for commercial deliveries ultimately. Also theres no comparison to be made between this and Strand Road.

I see the BBC are reporting that the High Court in London has quashed the pandemic 'Streetspace' scheme implemented by the Mayor of London and TfL, as unlawful and against good planning. Certainly something that DCC should take note of.

And less of the personal digs too please Ted, I can play that game if you'd like, but playing the man when you can't get near a ball only reflects badly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely in favour of this, its appropriate and will be brilliant for the City. I do think the local businesses will secure 24hr access for commercial deliveries ultimately. Also theres no comparison to be made between this and Strand Road.

I see the BBC are reporting that the High Court in London has quashed the pandemic 'Streetspace' scheme implemented by the Mayor of London and TfL, as unlawful and against good planning. Certainly something that DCC should take note of.

And less of the personal digs too please Ted, I can play that game if you'd like, but playing the man when you can't get near a ball only reflects badly on you.

If 24 access for deliveries is given, delivery should be done in small electric cycle carts as done in pedestrianised areas like is done on mainland Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not challenging the height of the Dutch nation, it was more the suggested correlation between that and cycling. The post was mostly tongue in cheek
    They need to get more aero ffs!

If 24 access for deliveries is given, delivery should be done in small electric cycle carts as done in pedestrianised areas like is done on mainland Europe

Agreed.

I do think something the City Council could turn their hand positively to is a 'break of bulk' plan for between the canals. There are too many larger vans and rigid trucks making deliveries on-street in the City centre. Now that electric vehicle tech is becoming a highly practical alternative, theres no reason a location on each side of the City couldn't be identified to deliver goods to for onward dispatch in smaller electric vehicles, though perhaps cycle carts might be a stretch.

Very nice.

Like Dublin Bikes, if they are a workable solution, they will find success.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Agreed.

I do think something the City Council could turn their hand positively to is a 'break of bulk' plan for between the canals. There are too many larger vans and rigid trucks making deliveries on-street in the City centre. Now that electric vehicle tech is becoming a highly practical alternative, theres no reason a location on each side of the City couldn't be identified to deliver goods to for onward dispatch in smaller electric vehicles, though perhaps cycle carts might be a stretch.

Like this : https://fora.ie/freight-delivery-dublin-belfast-3994224-May2018/

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/fleet.ie/world-first-in-dublin-as-ups-dublin-city-council-innovate-to-reinvent-sustainable-last-mile-deliveries/%3famp

https://cyclingindustry.news/irelands-an-post-to-roll-out-electric-cargo-bike-fleet-with-greenaer/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    Big chance to give feedback for the Greater Dublin Area to the NTA:
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) has commenced review of the 2016 – 2035 Transport Strategy. This review will assess how the current plan is being implemented and will help guide a strategy update that will set out a transport infrastructure and service investment framework for Dublin, Meath, Kildare and Wicklow until 2042.

The NTA is now calling on you to help shape the strategic objectives and inform policy direction.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/consultations/greater-dublin-area-transport-strategy/

Today's the last day for this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

As far as I know (I haven't been in the area in over a year at this point), this is where the off-road cycle track - parallel to a main road - crosses an estate entrance. DMURS says the cycle track should get priority, SDCC seem to think otherwise:

https://twitter.com/JTUrbanDesign/status/1353616168259608577

wtaf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's unbelievable, and frankly dangerous, some cyclist is going to plough into those bollards.

Hopefully Eamo's new council cycling czars will have the authority to veto hare-brained designs like this, because whoever designed has not only never ridden a bike, they appear to have never seen a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Am I reading the Shanganagh Road Improvement plan right? The road widening is also to make space for a 1.5m cycleway from Shankill roundabout to Cromlech Fields?

buffalo wrote: »
    As far as I know (I haven't been in the area in over a year at this point), this is where the off-road cycle track - parallel to a main road - crosses an estate entrance. DMURS says the cycle track should get priority, SDCC seem to think otherwise:

https://twitter.com/JTUrbanDesign/status/1353616168259608577

wtaf
    It reminds me of McDonalds

strandroad wrote: »
    Am I reading the Shanganagh Road Improvement plan right? The road widening is also to make space for a 1.5m cycleway from Shankill roundabout to Cromlech Fields?
    There’s lots of apartments planned for both sides of the shanganah road so wouldn’t surprise me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It would be a great link alright. Is there a chance of the council extending it all the way to connect with the Church Road cycling paths? Or through BusConnects maybe? I can't locate anything pertinent online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That Utrecht video is like a different planet. You notice in Holland that everyone is tall, no one is fat, and there's no helmets or high vis.

I live in Eindhoven myself. I'm 1m89, 6ft 2ish in old money, and I'm not tall. I blend into a crowd nicely. I regularly meet women as tall or taller than me. Took some getting used to.

Eindhoven is a cyclists paradise. There are parts of the city where a short journey is much quicker by bike. In my 10km commute to work, I share the road with cars for about 100m.

The reason it's so good is that the bike lanes are planned first, then the bus lanes and then if there's room the car lanes. It's the only way to do it right.

The weather here is as bad as Ireland or worse sometimes. Yet people are so in the habit of cycling it's irrelevant

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

probably an evolutionary adaptation to all the flooding in Holland

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement