Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a smart trainer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Hi, Have you still got this? If so, what make/model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

dahat wrote: »
    Kickr core ordered & eta mid November which suits really as I'm off season currently. Looking forward to using Zwift with smart control now.

Anyone after a direct drive non smart trainer? ��

Have you still got this? If so, what make/model is it? [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Have you still got this? If so, what make/model is it?
    [/quote]

Sorry, sold it a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'm starting to think ye all have soft aul arses. :pac:
    Or else I'm not working hard enough on the turbo.
    Probably the latter.

Am i correct in thinking that in order to dual record my session/race i'll need to unpair the Kickr Core from my headunit? Or can the Bolt take data from just the on bike power meter?

I'd like to see how both compare plus have a backup just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Core as far as I know has dual bluetooth broadcasting as well as ant+, so it should connect to two bluetooth devices and as many ant+ as you want. I triple record workouts, have apple tv connected by bluetooth and the watch and a tablet connected by ant+. Not using a Core though.

edit misread your post. Are you trying to record two separate power sources, eg use your trainer for Zwift and then your power meter for the head unit? If so then yes, pair zwift to the trainer to get sim mode and then select on your head unit the power meter as you would on an outdoor ride. No need to unpair your core from the head unit, so you can connect to it in future without having to add it each time. Just select on the head unit which one you are using when you want to dual record.

Yes, record from Kickr on Zwift and Assimo pedals on headunit.

I unpaired the Kickr from my headunit as i couldn't seem to be able to select which power source to record from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

joey100 wrote: »

Air movers get good reviews too, think Cleva might be a brand that sell them, move much more air than a fan. Think usually used by painter decorators so hardware shop might be best bet.

Ordered one of these at the time, fantastic yoke and makes some difference.

First World problems and all that.... But no remote control. Any tech savy people know if I can get a smart plug that would work? I've seen remote controlled plugs in power city, would that allow me to turn the fan off and on? I understand that it would just be an off/on job and not adjust the fan speed! Just wonder if anyone can recommend any brand before I buy something as I don't really know anything about this, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Ordered one of these at the time, fantastic yoke and makes some difference.

First World problems and all that.... But no remote control. Any tech savy people know if I can get a smart plug that would work? I've seen remote controlled plugs in power city, would that allow me to turn the fan off and on? I understand that it would just be an off/on job and not adjust the fan speed! Just wonder if anyone can recommend any brand before I buy something as I don't really know anything about this, thanks

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/electrical/gadgetpro-remote-sockets-twin-pack/075984.html

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Any recommendations for a basic smart turbo trainer that is in stock?

Was looking at the Tacx Smart Flow but cannot find it in stock.

Any thoughs on the Elite Qubo Power Smart B+?

https://shop.feelgoodbicycles.ie/qubo-power-smart-b.html?source=googlebase

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cyclesuperstore have the TacX range back in stock today

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cyclesuperstore have the TacX range back in stock today

Is that in store only? Cant seem to see any instock online

dazzday wrote: »
    Is that in store only? Cant seem to see any instock online
    Might be, probably takes a day or so for them to go through pre orders and interested emails before they put the rest up online. I registered my interest in one hence I got a mail when they came in but after thinking it over, I simply hate turbo trainers and seeing as I will never be a pro racer and can always go outside, no matter how boring, I just pulled the plug. Going to buy new wheels instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm seeing stock of the new Jetblack Volt appearing,

https://www.jetblackcycling.eu/de/product/jetblack-volt-ems-direct-drive-smart-trainer?action=change_lang&new_lang=en&info=10973

Seems to be a step up on what they've done before, got a decent review from GpLama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcchKjieoEc&t

The usual caveats about V1 of anything apply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Harry's have posted on Facebook as to having turbo's back in stock. Kickr Snap and a Saris one (not sure Hammer or wheel on).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Rose bikes (Germany) have a fee in stock.
    https://www.rosebikes.com/bike-accessories/turbo-trainers

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dinneenp wrote: »
    Rose bikes (Germany) have a fee in stock.
    https://www.rosebikes.com/bike-accessories/turbo-trainers

When you click through most are available in 4-5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MangleBadger

So decided I need to join the turbo trainer club. Crap weather and 5k boredom means I’m not getting enough exercise.
    Trying to decide between a basic wheel on trainer which I can use my speed/cadence sensors to connect to apps or spend a little more and get a smart wheel on trainer like the elite tuo.
    Fear is if I go too cheap it won’t be an enjoyable experience and I’ll end up not using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭this.lad

I've been using the bog standard wheel on magnetic trainer with the power meter connected to rouvy. Found it very enjoyable but, obviously, you dont feel the resistance change properly etc.

You still have to push hard to get a decent time or to chase someone down you see up ahead, but if motivation.

Now my 28 day trial is time to sign herself up or move over to another platform for a free trial, hard set to part with cash when I dont have the real deal setup.

Have never used a smart trainer, I imagine it would be way better but if you are looking to start out I would say fire away on a dumb trainer rather than put it off,

So decided I need to join the turbo trainer club. Crap weather and 5k boredom means I’m not getting enough exercise.
    Trying to decide between a basic wheel on trainer which I can use my speed/cadence sensors to connect to apps or spend a little more and get a smart wheel on trainer like the elite tuo.
    Fear is if I go too cheap it won’t be an enjoyable experience and I’ll end up not using it.

If you can afford it and think you want it, get the wheel off smart trainer. I've had both and while not a trainer/turbo fan, the wheel off one was a huge improvement and if I ever went back, I'd not even consider the wheel option, night and day difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you can afford it and think you want it, get the wheel off smart trainer. I've had both and while not a trainer/turbo fan, the wheel off one was a huge improvement and if I ever went back, I'd not even consider the wheel option, night and day difference.

Yeah I'm not big on indoor training but the smart trainer is night and day, it's much more engaging. Grinding away at hills is a lot more fun when it's actually a challenge. I stick to shorter but more frequent spins and some of the 30 minute workouts on Zwift are a killer. Great use of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MangleBadger

I would love to go that way but the extra €200+ pushed it outside the budget. Wife is being particularly flexible with this purchase considering we just signed a contract on a house.
    Pulled the trigger on the Elite Tuo.

I bought a basic/dumb trainer a few months ago and find it excellent. However I plan to upgrade to a smart wheel off trainer soon.
    - I bought a cadence and speed sensor, will need to buy a TT tyre, rear wheel & cassette as I won't change road tyre to TT tyre constantly. I don't know how quickly tyres wear out on TTs but wouldn't feel comfortable on the road with the back of mind thinking will my tyre burst....
    - as mentioned Zwift is fun but you do miss out the resistance changing for up/downhill.
    - it took me a while to set the resistance properly, it was too tight & couldn't go any looser, had to take the yoke off & screw it on again, mess around with it. With a wheel off trainer you have none of this or wondering if your speed is accurate due to the resistance....

It's a massive jump price-wise, you can ride extremely happily with a dumb trainer but I like gadgets and knowing that there's a better TT experience than what I have is why I'll upgrade. Not a 'need to have, more a want to'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Direct drive turbos from about €300, much of a muchness with higher-end wheel-on trainers.

You won't look back though.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Direct drive turbos from about €300, much of a muchness with higher-end wheel-on trainers.

You won't look back though.

Hi,
    There doesn't seem to be any available for under €500 or thereabouts. If you can show me one for 3-400 I'd be thrilled.

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

With DD trainers is it easy enough to set the cassette in such a way as you don't have to make any gear adjustments when you switch from outdoors to the turbo? i.e. can you adjust the cassette on the turbo so that it mirrors your bike setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I never had a problem with the shifting either way, but I always seemed to be slightly off re-tightening on my bike as I always got disc brake rub. That's on mechanical discs and quick release.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Anyone know where Wahoo Kickr Cores are in stock? Would like to buy Irish if possible, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Anyone know where Wahoo Kickr Cores are in stock? Would like to buy Irish if possible, thanks

I got mine from Wahoo's website in December. It doesn't look like it's out if stock so you should be able to order there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I got mine from Wahoo's website in December. It doesn't look like it's out if stock so you should be able to order there.

Cheers , they were sold out when I looked on Monday, but yeah back in stock now. Does it come with an european plug or an Irish plug?

Advertisement