Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I hear they don't rate PJ as a manager. They reckon the training specifically dropped a long way since Walsh/Silke/Conlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭macslash

Ian Burke, Adrian Varley and Fiontan o Curraoin pulling out also, strange. 🀔 Gary Sice has reretired which was to be expected.

Where are you hearing this? Disappointed with Burke especially if it's true. Had a poor last 18 months but he offers something different

• Registered Users Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ian Burke, Adrian Varley and Fiontan o Curraoin pulling out also, strange. 🤔 Gary Sice has reretired which was to be expected.

On the plus side, Peter Cooke is back available.

Don't know about Varley but I know Ian Burke has a financial trader job up in Dublin that takes up a lot of his time. Think he spoke about it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

I hear they don't rate PJ as a manager. They reckon the training specifically dropped a long way since Walsh/Silke/Conlon.

Joyce needs to pull it together next year. If we have another like this year then he may as well pack it in. How any manager can change from one style to the complete opposite in the space of one season is anyones guess. Ended up a bad imitation of Walshes system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Changes to Galway 2021 National League panel are:

Players In:
    Stephen Barrett (Liam Mellows)
    Jack Hastings (Liam Mellows)
    Cian Burke (Athenry)
    Daniel Loftus (Turloughmore)
    Declan Cronin (Cappataggle)
    Jack Canning (Portumna)
    Sean Neary (Castlegar)

Players Out:
    Paul Killeen (Tynagh-Abbey-Duniry)
    Ronan Burke (Turloughmore)
    Kevin Hussey (Turloughmore)
    Jack Grealish (Gort)
    Eanna Burke (St Thomas’)
    Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows)
    James Skehill (Cappataggle) - retired

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Changes to Galway 2021 National League panel are:

Players In:
    Stephen Barrett (Liam Mellows)
    Jack Hastings (Liam Mellows)
    Cian Burke (Athenry)
    Daniel Loftus (Turloughmore)
    Declan Cronin (Cappataggle)
    Jack Canning (Portumna)
    Sean Neary (Castlegar)

Players Out:
    Paul Killeen (Tynagh-Abbey-Duniry)
    Ronan Burke (Turloughmore)
    Kevin Hussey (Turloughmore)
    Jack Grealish (Gort)
    Eanna Burke (St Thomas’)
    Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows)
    James Skehill (Cappataggle) - retired

Does Haran not have the pace for IC or what. Hes consistently one of the top players in the club championship but doesn't get a look in at IC. Thought he did ok in his brief league appearences. Jack Canning hasn't done a whole lot to justify his spot yet has he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

threeball wrote:
    Does Haran not have the pace for IC or what. Hes consistently one of the top players in the club championship but doesn't get a look in at IC. Thought he did ok in his brief league appearences. Jack Canning hasn't done a whole lot to justify his spot yet has he?

Only game I got to attend post Covid was the Sarsfields vs. Portuma game. Ended up being s***e as the two Cannings were sent off but prior to that Jack played at centre back and was a monster under the high ball and has put on the build needed for inter county. His temperament though....

Haran is hard to fathom. Along with Ja Mannion Cappy and Eanna Burke Thomas's. Couldn't find three better club lads but have never been given any extended run in a Galway Jersey to show they either are or aren't up to it. I think a few of us here could name a few lads getting game time that aren't setting the world alight yet are still involved.

Plenty of changes in the football squad too. Bradshaw, Ian Burke, Varley, FOC and Sice have not made themselves available for selection this year with Bradshaw and Sice retiring. Peter Cooke has returned from America. Expect Joyce to continue to raid the U21s.

Plenty of changes in the football squad too. Bradshaw, Ian Burke, Varley, FOC and Sice have not made themselves available for selection this year with Bradshaw and Sice retiring. Peter Cooke has returned from America. Expect Joyce to continue to raid the U21s.

Anyone any idea of new names in?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Robson99 wrote: »
    What's the Craic with Varley ??

Seeing a 36 year old get a place on the bench for the Mayo game while you watch the match from the top of the Arus in Salthill, probably didn't help.

Don't get me wrong but Sice owes nothing to Galway football, just don't think bringing him back in helped the cause much tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

fearruanua wrote: »
    Seeing a 36 year old get a place on the bench for the Mayo game while you watch the match from the top of the Arus in Salthill, probably didn't help.

Don't get me wrong but Sice owes nothing to Galway football, just don't think bringing him back in helped the cause much tbh.

Is this correct? All that week we were told multiple times of injury concerns. Comer, Brannigan, Steede & Varley. None made the team and two made the bench, with Comer certainly unfit.

Joyce has started Varley plenty in the league (when no other manager before now has started his consistently) and Varley did well for him, i'm inclined to put this one down to injury.

I have heard there's rumblings of the odd player issue and that the backroom wouldn't set you alight tactically, but don't think it adds up in this case. I think many of us expected the tactics to be primative after the u20's and indeed the way Joyce talks in interviews.

Even so, the amount of sneery comments in person and online (not directed at you btw) ive been hearing is a bit mental. If that many people have it in for our greatest living legend after one year then no manager will ever have a fair cut at this job. Tactically poor or not he deserves at least 2 years to give it a go, because of who he is. It's not like year one was a right off. There was very good flashes in the league and we were beaten a point having had the worst prep of any side and key injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

fearruanua wrote: »

Varley was injured in lead upto Mayo game which had more to do with him not making the bench. He would have been a valuable asset that day as he's our best forward to show for ball and was playing well under Joyce. Of all players to step away he's the one player who would have best chance of seeing plenty of game time this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Corofin GAA’s Jason Leonard has informed the Galway management that he is unable to commit to the squad for the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Corofin GAA’s Jason Leonard has informed the Galway management that he is unable to commit to the squad for the coming year.

And John Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Only game I got to attend post Covid was the Sarsfields vs. Portuma game. Ended up being s***e as the two Cannings were sent off but prior to that Jack played at centre back and was a monster under the high ball and has put on the build needed for inter county. His temperament though....

Haran is hard to fathom. Along with Ja Mannion Cappy and Eanna Burke Thomas's. Couldn't find three better club lads but have never been given any extended run in a Galway Jersey to show they either are or aren't up to it. I think a few of us here could name a few lads getting game time that aren't setting the world alight yet are still involved.

I'd put Haran and Eanna in the same category , supreme club hurlers but can't make the step up in intensity and pace. Haran especially has been a familiar story under a few managers, shoots the lights out against a minnow and gets a lot of attention, then gets a start against a big team team he's anonymous. Think it was 0 6 against westmeath last year, then got the start against Waterford and just couldn't get into the game. Similar happened in one of Donoghues early years too.

Still hopeful for Jack but as you say it's attitude and temperament that he needs to work on.

I'd put Haran and Eanna in the same category , supreme club hurlers but can't make the step up in intensity and pace. Haran especially has been a familiar story under a few managers, shoots the lights out against a minnow and gets a lot of attention, then gets a start against a big team team he's anonymous. Think it was 0 6 against westmeath last year, then got the start against Waterford and just couldn't get into the game. Similar happened in one of Donoghues early years too.

Still hopeful for Jack but as you say it's attitude and temperament that he needs to work on.

I can't see how anyone could make an assessment on Haran off the amount of gametime he got. Unless he is consistently crap in training theres no way you can make a call on a lad after a couple of bit parts in league games.

I'll be interested to see how Jack Canning goes but I didn't think he was a particularly good minor and he hasn't impressed at club either. His size was a big advantage at underage but thats out the window when you go to senior and everyones that big.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

threeball wrote: »
    I can't see how anyone could make an assessment on Haran off the amount of gametime he got. Unless he is consistently crap in training theres no way you can make a call on a lad after a couple of bit parts in league games.

I'll be interested to see how Jack Canning goes but I didn't think he was a particularly good minor and he hasn't impressed at club either. His size was a big advantage at underage but thats out the window when you go to senior and everyones that big.

In fairness he was first on the panel in 2012 and as I said there was a regular pattern with him. He often earned himself a start against a KK or Tipp in the league and didn't do a tap.

I think with Jack it's the fact that he potentially offers things we're missing. I.e. he's a monster under a high ball which we lack I'm the forwards and also a serious finisher close to goal. If he can carry either of those traits to senior county he'll add something different to the team

It's hard to question anyone who hasnt gotten a chance after you've watched Flynn miss 80% of his goal chances year after year.

I went back and did a count after the Limerick game.

C.Cooney and Flynn scored 2 points each.
    I know neither played 70mins x 4 but they played about 50mins a game across the 4.

Hegarty outscored the two of them in one half in the final IIRC(or matched).
    Ffs Niland scored two points in about 10mins(granted one was a free it was difficult).

You can't expect to win AIs if two lads getting that much game time are scoring 0.5 a game.

I don't want to see either of those two playing next year.
    It's not even their lack of threat but both don't exactly set any markers down in terms of their workrate(compare both to Whelan and Conncannon, both half the size, scoring way more AND working harder).

The fact the game is breaking records for score totals consistently now, and that you need 30 points to compete, having two forwards who contribute less than one per game isnt good enough anymore.
    It was barely enough in the sub 20 point game era

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Was checking up Cloonan there. He retired before 30..never knew it.. Did he ever play with go?

• Advertisement

thesultan wrote:
    Was checking up Cloonan there. He retired before 30..never knew it.. Did he ever play with go?

Played with who?

thesultan wrote: »

Did you mean 'Joe'??

macslash wrote:
    Did you mean 'Joe'??

They played together in 08' if that is the question! Cloonan was savaged by injuries at that stage and retired after Athenry lost to Beagh. He didn't play for Galway in 07' I think but came back in 08' for a stint. Not sure if he played much with JC in 08' (his debut season) but they both played against Antrim IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Played with who?

Sorry Joe Canning..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

As there is bit of clean out of mainly fringe players who can we say that is currently involved bar the established players could become an influential player sooner than later.

I can see a pattern with O’Neil he seems to dispense fringe players e.g Glennon and Tom Monaghan last year looks like he is aiming long term with a squad. Remember in 2012 AC got rid of most of McIntyres squad nearly worked only problem was he got rid of the only reliable goalie and had two very inconsistent goalies instead

I see Kevin Walsh is releasing a book, seems a blend between an autobiography and tactical book.

I find it mind boggling that someone who's releasing a book called "Maths, Minutes and Movement" couldn't see how what Dublin were doing on both ends of restarts was an integral part of their continued success.
    We literally did the opposite, didnt press and lost half of ours a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I see Kevin Walsh is releasing a book, seems a blend between an autobiography and tactical book.

I find it mind boggling that someone who's releasing a book called "Maths, Minutes and Movement" couldn't see how what Dublin were doing on both ends of restarts was an integral part of their continued success.
    We literally did the opposite, didnt press and lost half of ours a game.

Was part of a long form podcast interview with Kevin recently if anyone is interested.

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-014-kevin-walsh-growcoach/

Mainly Kilkenny based stuff as that's where we are based, deep dives from episode 5 onwards with Larkin and Power talking but did a nice one with Eugene Cloonen also two months ago!

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-007-eugene-cloonan/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Sirsok wrote: »
    Was part of a long form podcast interview with Kevin recently if anyone is interested.

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-014-kevin-walsh-growcoach/

Mainly Kilkenny based stuff as that's where we are based, deep dives from episode 5 onwards with Larkin and Power talking but did a nice one with Eugene Cloonen also two months ago!

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-007-eugene-cloonan/

First time listening to that show but excellent listen. Will check out some of the earlier podcasts now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

Looks like we've a new jersey coming out soon.

Love the retro 80s version O'Neills did recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

New jersey is released

On the homepage of o neills

Sorry not great at posting pics

https://www.oneills.com/

Advertisement