Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Viewings during level 5

Options
  • 08-01-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from a viewing of an apartment. I'd say I lasted all of 30 seconds in the place. The ad for the property online shows an immaculate layout, and I had assumed the property was vacant, if they were holding viewings in level 5.

I arrive and it's immediately clear that there are 3/4 men living in this place, with a bed in the living room, things like that. A couple of them were smoking and it seemed poorly ventilated. I did not feel comfortable at all and left almost immediately, as I live with my parents who are in their 70s.

The EA also didn't seem to have any sanitiser, luckily I had brought my own. I'm pretty annoyed tbh- if I'd been told there were going to be people wandering all over the place, I wouldn't have shown up to view. Even if the people currently living there had gone out while viewings were going on, I would have felt better. It looks like a dodgy setup tbh.

I guess it's a lesson learned for me- I will make sure in advance that the property will be empty when I am viewing it, if not fully vacant. However, is there any point in complaining to the property services regulation authority? I've seen on Daft and a couple of other places that viewings are meant to be of vacant properties. Or should I just get over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

You should probably report the company doing the viewing...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

probably shouldnt be having viewings in l5 to be honest - it's hardly essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd a viewing for my house tomorrow but it's cancelled.
    It's non essential.
    Only if sale of house has progressed can access be allowed.

Hopefully gets back on track by end of month but only the Covid stats will allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Housing is an essential need, and I cannot see how someone can be expected to buy/sell/rent without there being access to view. Doesn't make sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

ELM327 wrote: »
    probably shouldnt be having viewings in l5 to be honest - it's hardly essential.

I'm living at home in my 30s and I've been looking for somewhere to buy for well over a year. I'm not going to many viewings at all, but when I do, they feel pretty essential.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'd a viewing for my house tomorrow but it's cancelled.
    It's non essential.
    Only if sale of house has progressed can access be allowed.

Hopefully gets back on track by end of month but only the Covid stats will allow that.

How can sales progress if you don't get to see the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I’m an agent.

The protocol for level 5 is...

For lettings all viewings have to be online, only prior to signing a lease can the tenant then view

For sales viewings can take place once proof of funds have been provided. Viewings have to be by appointment, separate viewing times for each party etc.

I’m an agent.

The protocol for level 5 is...

For lettings all viewings have to be online, only prior to signing a lease can the tenant then view

For sales viewings can take place once proof of funds have been provided. Viewings have to be by appointment, separate viewing times for each party etc.

The protocol has changed.
    Restrictions are tougher.
    It has also been agreed that online viewings will be the default approach to viewing property for rental or sale, with a physical viewing only permissible at the point where a tenancy agreement is being entered into or where a contract for sale has been drawn up.

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-market-5318778-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pleh

Shelga wrote: »
    I'm just back from a viewing of an apartment. I'd say I lasted all of 30 seconds in the place. The ad for the property online shows an immaculate layout, and I had assumed the property was vacant, if they were holding viewings in level 5.

I arrive and it's immediately clear that there are 3/4 men living in this place, with a bed in the living room, things like that. A couple of them were smoking and it seemed poorly ventilated. I did not feel comfortable at all and left almost immediately, as I live with my parents who are in their 70s.

The EA also didn't seem to have any sanitiser, luckily I had brought my own. I'm pretty annoyed tbh- if I'd been told there were going to be people wandering all over the place, I wouldn't have shown up to view. Even if the people currently living there had gone out while viewings were going on, I would have felt better. It looks like a dodgy setup tbh.

I guess it's a lesson learned for me- I will make sure in advance that the property will be empty when I am viewing it, if not fully vacant. However, is there any point in complaining to the property services regulation authority? I've seen on Daft and a couple of other places that viewings are meant to be of vacant properties. Or should I just get over it?

Most of the houses we viewed around Sept/Oct last were occupied with familys but the agent had advised the owners before the viewing. I guess they went for a walk/drive or something.
    Hand sanitizer in the hall in each case and the Ea opened door, told us we had 15 min inside and then waited in their car. Ur post really surprised me, if a family with young kids can skidaddle for 30 min max why can't full grown men!
    You're right to be annoyed, I would bring this up with that EA at least.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The protocol has changed.
    Restrictions are tougher.

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-market-5318778-Jan2021/

yes i saw that article...its incorrect

The PSRA confirmed to all members yesterday that what i mentioned above applies. Property services are an essential service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

yes i saw that article...its incorrect

The PSRA confirmed to all members yesterday that what i mentioned above applies. Property services are an essential service.

Can you please confirm the situation for lettings..can properties be viewed in person or how is that working out ? Again..nobody is going to even discuss signing a lease agreement without viewing in person first. Thanks

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Can you please confirm the situation for lettings..can properties be viewed in person or how is that working out ? Again..nobody is going to even discuss signing a lease agreement without viewing in person first. Thanks

All letting viewings should be online, the agent will have done a video tour of the property which you can view.

Then if you are successful, you can view the property in person before contracts/money is exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pleh wrote: »
    if a family with young kids can skidaddle for 30 min max why can't full grown men! .

If they're currently tenants, they aren't required to facilitate viewings. Many here would advise them not to.

Most likely their actions just delayed the sale and thus their eviction by a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

If they're currently tenants, they aren't required to facilitate viewings. Many here would advise them not to.

Most likely their actions just delayed the sale and thus their eviction by a week or so.

No mention that they were moving out ?

Anyway, I'd take it up with the EA and I'd also post a Google review.

Updated guidance from PRSA has meant no viewings in person, unless sale agreed.
    Won't be reviewed until end of month.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

proof of funds being approval in principle?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

I was going to sell my house but knowing agents won’t let people in to view a vacant house is very off putting. Providing proof of funds from a buyer to an agency should not be mandatory.
    I do understand the difficulties in these times but it’s best to hold off until restrictions are eased and people can freely move about a property and making assessments before making the biggest decision of their lives.
    I think other potential sellers are thinking the same!?

Advertisement