Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas veggie turkey or roast suggestions

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    The Aldi 'no Turkey' roast was perfect! So yummy! I would definitely get it again. Had it with lots of gravy and cranberry sauce. Amazing value, going to grab a couple for the freezer.

Are those Yorkshires vegan? If so, where did you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

eviltwin wrote: »

They're not I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

eviltwin wrote: »

There's a new product in M&S that you can make em with.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CIlexOxHzaM/

Also tesco and lidl have their own roasts now too, lidls is out already and tesco should have one this week

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIjc74yHmUp/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tesco actually have 2 roasts and they will be coming out around the 20th to "select stores"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Got nut roast and other from Lidl and Vegilantes w*ngs in Dunnes.
    Wings are nice. €3.50 for 6. 20g protein/100g

• Advertisement

Veginity have now started selling roasts along with their wellington, have tried it and it is quite nice. It's €18 for 1kg. There is a smaller one as well.
    The tesco roasts have started rolling out now too.

Lidl have vegan sausage rolls in their party food section. They are delicious! I've 3 more bags in the freezer for over Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Lidl have vegan sausage rolls in their party food section. They are delicious! I've 3 more bags in the freezer for over Christmas

These the ones? https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/vegan-products/golden-bake-vegan-sausage-rolls/p45915

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I'm going to have the root veg & chickpea dish from this link on Christmas eve :)

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/31/yotam-ottolenghi-recipes-autumn-veg-buttered-kohlrabi-yuca-fries

Where can I get harissa paste? Is it in any way spicy?

• Advertisement

Harissa is spicy yes, so be careful with it. it does have a delicious flavour. You can get Al'fez Harissa Paste in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

I tried out the quorn roast this evening. It was very good. Tasted like stuffed Turkey. It'll do for my Xmas dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've not seen that Aldi roast on the shelves in about a month in either on my locals - be quicker getting a PS5 at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

noticed some vegan roasts in the freezers at lidl (big sausage shaped things) looked like soya protein based, should have taken a pic as cant find any mention of them anywhere.

noticed some vegan roasts in the freezers at lidl (big sausage shaped things) looked like soya protein based, should have taken a pic as cant find any mention of them anywhere.
    All the lidl vegan christmas stuff including that:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CIoTgf3nfEA/

Also dunnes have a roast now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thats the one Deluxe vegan roast with butternut squash,carrot and parsnip (although very little of the vegetables as far as i could see)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Aldi long mile rd has plenty of those vegan roasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Warning: The hasselback potatoes in those pictures are pretty bad.

How can somebody **** up a potato? That's pretty bad!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Which is better the Lidl or Aldi roast? I have a nut roast in the freezer too but doing the 'big shop' this evening and fancy trying the roast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Daisies wrote: »
    Which is better the Lidl or Aldi roast? I have a nut roast in the freezer too but doing the 'big shop' this evening and fancy trying the roast

I had the Lidl one a couple of days ago in the in laws.. I thought it was savage. Needs gravy though.

I’ve not had the ALDI one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I had the Lidl one a couple of days ago in the in laws.. I thought it was savage. Needs gravy though.

I’ve not had the ALDI one.

I mean gravy is a given! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Going to give the tesco no-turkey crown a go for dinner today

Wait til Christmas day? Not a chance

Wasn't great to be honest. Texture very soft

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wasn't great to be honest. Texture very soft

Have you ever tried the Gardein Holiday Roast like the one I linked in the Christmas thread ?

It is really nice.

Not sure about it’s availability but worth trying if you ever get the chance.

Well this question ended up being redundant as none of the Lidl's in Limerick had the roast and I had to go to two Aldi's to get one.

klopparama wrote: »
    Have you ever tried the Gardein Holiday Roast like the one I linked in the Christmas thread ?

It is really nice.

Not sure about it’s availability but worth trying if you ever get the chance.

Not seen it around. My friend loved Gardein products in Canada. Not sure they've launched yet in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

We went all out this year and made the "Beet Wellington" from the Happy Pear. It was delicious and I highly recommend to anyone who wants their own 'from scratch' vegan centrepiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Well this question ended up being redundant as none of the Lidl's in Limerick had the roast and I had to go to two Aldi's to get one.

You might have dodged a bullet, my partner and I had the vegan roast just now and it was truly vile. It pains me to bin food, but it was inedible stodge and we both couldn't eat it. It also took forever to cook, it says 40-45 mins on the packaging but was still partly frozen inside. Had to leave it in another 15. And no, it's not our oven.

• Advertisement
Advertisement