Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Michan's desecrated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That is just so awful. What is the security like there?

I visited this place with each of my young nephews and they and I thought it was just amazing (and creepy)!

A hidden gem. Sad that it happened, but it may up the game for St. Michans. In time I am sure they can commission a replacement head and keep going.

Sh1t happens. The scoundrels though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Same people who kidnapped St. Laurence O'Toole's heart perhaps?!!!!! It may turn up again some time in the future. More likely to be druggies or weirdos who frequent the graveyard. I'd question the security arrangements on these historic churches, but really all churches need their security checked. The least I'd expect is an alarm system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Personally I think it's time that the remains were buried in a more secure location. People seem to forget that these are remains of actual human beings and not exhibitions to be gawk at by tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

In time I am sure they can commission a replacement head and keep going.

Eh, How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

A hidden gem. Sad that it happened, but it may up the game for St. Michans. In time I am sure they can commission a replacement head and keep going.

Upping the game would require resources, and I would be surprised if St Michan's, like any of the inner-city Church of Ireland parishes has much by the way of resources.

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    Personally I think it's time that the remains were buried in a more secure location. People seem to forget that these are remains of actual human beings and not exhibitions to be gawk at by tourists.

I agree. And for that reason I have never been interested in visiting the vaults. I think it is a gruesome sight for tourists, and particularly for children to see. I felt the same when my parents brought us as children to the museum and there was a mummy in a glass case. It terrified me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sh1t happens.

Sh1t does not happen. This was willful destruction and desecration. Sticking the deviants head on a pike after every parishioner has had a chance to flog them with a cat of nine tails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭maninasia

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I agree. And for that reason I have never been interested in visiting the vaults. I think it is a gruesome sight for tourists, and particularly for children to see. I felt the same when my parents brought us as children to the museum and there was a mummy in a glass case. It terrified me!

It was the single coolest historical place in Dublin for me.

Do not close it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I'm generalising but a lot of children like the spooky, ghoulish, scary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Vetch wrote: »
    I'm generalising but a lot of children like the spooky, ghoulish, scary etc.
    Yup. I was one of them.

• Advertisement

I'd agree, but mainly boys love that creepy stuff. Don't disappoint me and tell me ye are girls now!

maninasia wrote: »
    It was the single coolest historical place in Dublin for me.

Do not close it.

If you mean the church, it won't close as it is still in use as a church. The vaults bring in some revenue from tours so I doubt they will be closed either. These lovely historic churches still retain small but loyal congregations. It was a regretful decision when the CoI closed St. Mary's in Mary Street and St. Paul's in N. King Street. But that was then, and this is now. Property is viewed differently now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think it's disgusting. As a poster above said these are actual remains and not just an exhibit. I hope whoever did it are caught. It would take a certain disconnect from society to do such a thing.

Well, I stand corrected:

"The Vicar of the Christ Church Cathedral Group of Parishes, of which St Michan’s is part, Archdeacon David Pierpoint said he is upset and disappointed that the church has been targeted again by vandals. The crypt of St Michan’s was vandalised in 1996. “The actions of these people are devastating and sacrilegious. We are upset at the amount of damage that has been caused. But also the crypt will have to close so tourists will not be able to visit. It is very frustrating,” he said adding: “I would appeal to anyone with information to contact the Gardaí.”"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

If you mean the church, it won't close as it is still in use as a church. The vaults bring in some revenue from tours so I doubt they will be closed either. These lovely historic churches still retain small but loyal congregations. It was a regretful decision when the CoI closed St. Mary's in Mary Street and St. Paul's in N. King Street. But that was then, and this is now. Property is viewed differently now.

Surely the reasons the CoI churches were closed in the past will be the reasons they will close in the future? What's changed in how property is viewed nowadays? I would imagine it's all down to costs of upkeep and the size of the congregation. Did St Thomas' not close recently?

Achasanai wrote: »
    Surely the reasons the CoI churches were closed in the past will be the reasons they will close in the future? What's changed in how property is viewed nowadays? I would imagine it's all down to costs of upkeep and the size of the congregation. Did St Thomas' not close recently?

What's changed? Years ago when a congregation couldn't keep up the financial burden of the parish the church was closed and probably sold to commercial interests. Today when a congregation can't afford to keep going they are moved to another parish but their church then can be used for something else, but not sold. St. Thomas's did close but has recently reopened with a different function I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This is really a terrible thing that has happened.

Besides ruining a wonderful place to visit they have desecrated actual human remains. So disrespectful.

Im really saddened by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

dubhthach wrote: »

Don't thousands of tourists gawk at Lenin & Mao's remains every minute on Youtube and every year in person?

Don't thousands of tourists gawk at Lenin & Mao's remains every minute on Youtube and every year in person?

Yes, and it's also quite gruesome. They should be laid to rest imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a whole travelling exhibition of preserved sliced up human bodies. Egyptian mummies etc. People are inquisitive about such things and pay good money to see them. If it isn't your bag it's someone else's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Not to mention Saint Oliver Plunkett's head in Drogheda.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Head and skull recovered, quicker than the heart was anyway. Hopefully this means they have the people to prosecute

L1011 wrote: »
    Head and skull recovered, quicker than the heart was anyway. Hopefully this means they have the people to prosecute

Also indicates that this was just mindless vandalism.

Mebbe they thought they weren't real! P'raps they read this thread and realised they had real live dead people!! :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 10 dSchwainass

You are imposing your own values here. Medieval people were very familiar with the idea of relics and it was a lot more normal than to be close to human remains than it is today.

You are imposing your own values here. Medieval people were very familiar with the idea of relics and it was a lot more normal than to be close to human remains than it is today.

Neither you or I are Medieval people. I don’t think or behave like a medieval person. Do you?

• Site Banned Posts: 10 dSchwainass

Neither you or I are Medieval people. I don’t think or behave like a medieval person. Do you?

No, but it isnt true that they that necessarily share modern sensibilities in this regard.

No, but it isnt true that they that necessarily share modern sensibilities in this regard.

Not sure what you mean.

Not sure what you mean.

That the medieval people themselves would not mind their remains being used as relics.

Personally I wouldnt either.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    That the medieval people themselves would not mind their remains being used as relics.

Personally I wouldnt either.

Oh I agree, medieval people wouldn't be as squeamish as me, they got up to some awful things that were 'acceptable' then, but not now. Well, ......., to each his/her own. Maybe you'll end up in a glass case in an exhibition some time in the future. (Don't know whether to add an emoticon here or not, nothing seems to fit!!)

Advertisement