Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historian John Julius Norwich passes away

• 03-06-2018 11:22am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This historian, who I first started reading for his books on the Byzantine Empire, died at 88. He did not seem have any particular area of speciality and ranged in topic but always crafted an interesting read.

Google News Link (some articles are behind paywalls)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Byzantium aside, his area of specialty was Venice; he also was an avid Francophile. I’m awaiting delivery (hard copy, not Kindle!) of his most recent – From Gaul to de Gaulle’ – which on its recent publication received rave reviews. I’ve long been a fan of that fascinating family – his natural grandfather was Harry Cust, a friend of one of my kinsmen. His mother, Diana Manners / Cooper’s books are a great read. She was the daughter of the Duke of Rutland, a place noted for its slow horses and fast women. Norwich himself was not slow in ‘getting the leg over’ and is the father of one of the John Huston daughters– Allegra. His daughter Artemis Cooper is no mean biographer/ historian herself, although I believe she was too soft on the antics of Paddy Leigh Fermor in WW2 Crete. She is married to one of my favorite WW2 writers – Antony Beevor. It would have been fascinating to be a guest at a family dinner!
    So many books, so little time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Thanks for the tip on From Gaul to de Gaulle.
    Currently going through a binge on Beevor's books myself, though out of chronological order: Finished Berlin, Stalingrad and now starting on the Battle of Ardennes. Next hopefully will be Arnhem.

Advertisement