Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halfpenny Bridge House Dublin

Options
  • 31-05-2018 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Was passing the Quays recently and noticed the above. May be a kind of hotel. But above the door I saw carved in stone what looked like the old farthing piece - a pig with some numbers as far as I could tell.
    It was quite distinctive.

Anyone know anything about this building?

Of course the title should be Halfpenny.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The image is of a halfpenny, not a farthing, which makes sense. (The farthing had a woodcock on it, not a pig.) The doorcase in which the image is contained is modern, as is I think the whole building. I believe it's an apartment building, dating perhaps from the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Peregrinus wrote:
    The image is of a halfpenny, not a farthing, which makes sense. (The farthing had a woodcock on it, not a pig.) The doorcase in which the image is contained is modern, as is I think the whole building. I believe it's an apartment building, dating perhaps from the 1990s.

Well of course ! Thanks. I saw what looked like tourists exiting it and that's what drew my attention to it in the first place. It's quite distinctive and looks like a modern imprint. I had thought there might be some connection to guilds or something like that. Not too far away on the south quays /Capel St you have the lovely engravings on the Sunshine (?) Building, Solicitors' offices now.
    The old coinage indeed. Pigs and woodcock! A hen was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

bobbyss wrote: »
    Well of course ! Thanks. I saw what looked like tourists exiting it and that's what drew my attention to it in the first place. It's quite distinctive and looks like a modern imprint. I had thought there might be some connection to guilds or something like that. Not too far away on the south quays /Capel St you have the lovely engravings on the Sunshine (?) Building, Solicitors' offices now.
    The old coinage indeed. Pigs and woodcock! A hen was there?
    There was a hen (and chicks) on the penny, a hare on the threepenny bit, a greyhound on the sixpence, a bull on the shillling, a salmon on the florin and a horse on the half-crown.

(I'm showing my age, I'm afraid. In my defence, I don't actually remember the farthing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Peregrinus wrote:
    There was a hen (and chicks) on the penny, a hare on the threepenny bit, a greyhound on the sixpence, a bull on the shillling, a salmon on the florin and a horse on the half-crown.

Peregrinus wrote:
    (I'm showing my age, I'm afraid. In my defence, I don't actually remember the farthing.)

I have some memories of those. The greyhound on a sixpence! The florin! The threepenny bit! ( 'bit' mind you!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Peregrinus wrote: »

I'm afraid I do remember the farthing! :o

bobbyss wrote: »
    I have some memories of those. The greyhound on a sixpence! The florin! The threepenny bit! ( 'bit' mind you!)

Usually pronounced "thrupenny bit" I remember.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It is definitely an apartment block. I knew people who lived there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement