Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GPU woes

• 19-12-2020 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm back again

Was playing Cyberpunk2077 earlier, when the game crashed to desktop and since then any game I try to play crashes back to desktop.

I've DDU drivers and reinstalled. I removed the ram and GPU and reslotted it. Remove the motherboard battery, check Bios, tried defaults. Tried earlier GPU drivers. I'm at a loss, is the card or my PSU dying?

It will load into windows fine. I can play older games like Alien Isolation or 2D games such as 'Graveyard Keeper', but any graphic intensive game just crashes back to Windows, even older ones such as Hitman 2 or Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Cannot see any other problems.

Current setup, 3090, 32GB ram, i7-6900k, Win10, m.2 boot drive, 3 x ssd drives, AE-5 soundcard, corsair 860i psu

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just to double-check but are you using two dedicated 8-pin power connectors to the PSU?

1362218-gf-comp-guide-3080-pcie-8pin-d.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If anyone can't see that image correctly, right click and choose view image (or your browser variation of it). Seems it doesn't display right on here.

On the GPU side, what are the temps like? More stressful games will understandably ramp the temp more. Are the fans still running and ramping up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Remove the motherboard battery, check Bios, tried defaults.

It's kind've implied but not 100% - Just to be clear do you mean to hard-reset the BIOS (as in via the Jumper) with the CMOS battery out and system unplugged? Pulling the battery on it's own is not enough. If you haven't gone this far then absolutely do, it can resolve all sorts of weird issues. I had a hard crash on mine a day or 2 after installing a new 3090 and it wouldn't even boot to BIOS, monitor came on but zero actually onscreen, a hard reset resolved it.

Also as mentioned above load up a diagnostics suite and look for obvious culprits like temperature spikes, power draw etc. for both GPU and CPU. Hwinfo with logging enabled is a good choice as it will write your states every few seconds to a CSV so it can be evaluated post crash, https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021829573-How-do-you-provide-a-log-file-from-HWiNFO- .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

This is so bizarre.

JayzTwoCents just posted with the exact same issue as you.

Hopefully you don't have to RMA it.

https://youtu.be/3puInnaG5ok

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Cheers all, will try suggestions and report back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Can you cap it's boost behaviour? Maybe it's right on the edge like they were before.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Just to double-check but are you using two dedicated 8-pin power connectors to the PSU?

1362218-gf-comp-guide-3080-pcie-8pin-d.png

Im using the dedicated pins that came with the PSU and theres two 8-pins joined together and seperate 8 pin for 3rd slot on the GPU
    Spear wrote: »
    If anyone can't see that image correctly, right click and choose view image (or your browser variation of it). Seems it doesn't display right on here.

On the GPU side, what are the temps like? More stressful games will understandably ramp the temp more. Are the fans still running and ramping up?

Very sure its the rights pins, temps were mid 60s. Fans are running smooth and ramping up when needed.
    _CreeD_ wrote: »
    It's kind've implied but not 100% - Just to be clear do you mean to hard-reset the BIOS (as in via the Jumper) with the CMOS battery out and system unplugged? Pulling the battery on it's own is not enough. If you haven't gone this far then absolutely do, it can resolve all sorts of weird issues. I had a hard crash on mine a day or 2 after installing a new 3090 and it wouldn't even boot to BIOS, monitor came on but zero actually onscreen, a hard reset resolved it.

Also as mentioned above load up a diagnostics suite and look for obvious culprits like temperature spikes, power draw etc. for both GPU and CPU. Hwinfo with logging enabled is a good choice as it will write your states every few seconds to a CSV so it can be evaluated post crash, https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021829573-How-do-you-provide-a-log-file-from-HWiNFO- .

Ill try the link, and maybe do the battery again just to be sure.
    This is so bizarre.

JayzTwoCents just posted with the exact same issue as you.

Hopefully you don't have to RMA it.

https://youtu.be/3puInnaG5ok

Will watch
    Can you cap it's boost behaviour? Maybe it's right on the edge like they were before.

cap its boost behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

cap its boost behaviour?

Instead of letting it go to say 1988Mhz cap it at 1950Mhz.

Instead of letting it go to say 1988Mhz cap it at 1950Mhz.

Ah yeah, tried that. Went down by 10, but I might try more and see.

Weird thing is, I can get into the main menus of these games, just loading a level, every game crashes back to Windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Weird thing is, I can get into the main menus of these games, just loading a level, every game crashes back to Windows.

That just means it's crashing under load, when your gpu usage starts to increase. Could possibly be the power supply.

I'd say try the PCIe cables in a different order, and then maybe try undervolt it. Which model 3090 is it?

That just means it's crashing under load, when your gpu usage starts to increase. Could possibly be the power supply.

I'd say try the PCIe cables in a different order, and then maybe try undervolt it. Which model 3090 is it?

Tried changing cable order and then did some undervolting. No difference.

It's the MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio

It's worked grand for the past month, no problems on Valhalla, Legion or other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Tried changing cable order and then did some undervolting. No difference.

It's the MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio

It's worked grand for the past month, no problems on Valhalla, Legion or other games.

jayz2cents gpu model was the 3080 gaming x trio...i wonder if their is something in that..could be a dying card..watch his video if you havent already..he had to RMA his card

EDIT: after watching that video again it was a 2080ti that was borked sorry if i confused you..he replaced it with a working 3080 gaming x trio..thanks to the lads who pointed that out in the thread..im going to go hide in the corner now:-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'm thinking your PSU isn't up to the job and has had enough.
    I've heard that the 3090 alone can spike to 800w
    Do you have an overclock on the CPU? If you do it's just putting further load on a PSU that's already creaking.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    jayz2cents gpu model was the 3080 gaming x trio...i wonder if their is something in that..could be a dying card..watch his video if you havent already..he had to RMA his card

Contacted msi about Rma.

My last role of the dice is a complete reinstall of Windows, see if there is some software conflict.

SickBoy wrote: »
    I'm thinking your PSU isn't up to the job and has had enough.
    I've heard that the 3090 alone can spike to 800w
    Do you have an overclock on the CPU? If you do it's just putting further load on a PSU that's already creaking.

Turned off the overclocks including xmp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

GHOST MGG wrote: »

I'm positive that jays faulty card was a 2080 ti

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

weisses wrote: »
    I'm positive that jays faulty card was a 2080 ti

Your right, he mentioned that it would almost be impossible to get a replacement now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nah, disagree. Most games load the card during intro and to an extent in menu.

VRAM.

When you load the game you load very little into VRAM, when you load a level the game pulls all the textures it can fit into VRAM to start rendering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I have the Palit 3090 Gamerock and I am using 3 dedicated 8 pins....it would be a hell of alot more tidy to use only two by splitting one of them (as each cable has two 8 pin tops if you get me) but its deffo not recommended.

I have an 850w Gold Rated PSu.

No issues here as of yet only have it a day but I was gaming like a mad eejit last night for hrs, and if it helps the temps of the card @ stock was late 50c and I am using the standard fan curve in the Thundermaster suite.

I would deffo be leaning towards the PSu here, if you want I have a Coolermaster 1000w PSu here if you want to try it....just for process of elimination fella? If it were me I would hate to be having trouble with my new card...so if it helps you, you more then welcome to try it and see.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well I have the Palit 3090 Gamerock and I am using 3 dedicated 8 pins....it would be a hell of alot more tidy to use only two by splitting one of them (as each cable has two 8 pin tops if you get me) but its deffo not recommended.

I have an 850w Gold Rated PSu.

No issues here as of yet only have it a day but I was gaming like a mad eejit last night for hrs, and if it helps the temps of the card @ stock was late 50c and I am using the standard fan curve in the Thundermaster suite.

I would deffo be leaning towards the PSu here, if you want I have a Coolermaster 1000w PSu here if you want to try it....just for process of elimination fella? If it were me I would hate to be having trouble with my new card...so if it helps you, you more then welcome to try it and see.

Appreciate the offer dude. Make is hopefully giving me a lend of his PSU, see if thats the issue. Not looking forward to all that lovely cable basterding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I came back to suggest what you already mentioned above, don't rule out a software issue with windows and do a reset/reinstall just to be sure.
    Also try disconnecting all SATA drives except what you need for testing. Weird as it sounds another issue I ran into a few years back, an old SSD that on the surface worked fine but on a new build was causing random but frequent crashing and eventually corrupted the windows install (which was on a different drive, a symptom of the repeated hard crashes ). On the surface it looked like a low level cpu/ram/psu load failure, I guess the drive was somehow causing feedback into the board.

Did a clean install of windows. Clean install of GPU drivers afterwards. Same probs. Looks like I'll have to play the PSU or GPU game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I can't find it mentioned yet, but does the Windows Event log capture anything from this?

Can you get a lend of another high tier card like a 3080 or even a 3090?

Where are you based....?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Can you get a lend of another high tier card like a 3080 or even a 3090?

Where are you based....?

In Dublin, have a possible RTX card to use all going well.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

You went overboard taking out battery etc
    You might have to reinstall bios that you download from other computer. First thing you check is memory one at a time different slots you can install beep speaker to find out how many fault beeps. You have. You also should have tried to go into bios to see if there's problems
    Most intel computers don't need graphics card as they can use interpreted unless the have f on cpu so you can take it off board
    Some windows 10 updates are crashing ssd hard drive so you may need format and reinstall new you also need to check power supply and wiring if you have friend with computer test parts on their machine try resetting bios when computer starts

Adamant it
    hasn't some in depth youtube repair videos but they are a bit long

• Registered Users Posts: 27,790 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dunfyy wrote: »
    You might have to reinstall bios that you download from other computer. First thing you check is memory one at a time different slots you can install beep speaker to find out how many fault beeps. You have. You also should have tried to go into bios to see if there's problems
    Most intel computers don't need graphics card as they can use interpreted unless the have f on cpu so you can take it off board
    Some windows 10 updates are crashing ssd hard drive so you may need format and reinstall new you also need to check power supply and wiring if you have friend with computer test parts on their machine try resetting bios when computer starts

Adamant it

Good to see you back again Bobby.

Dunfyy wrote: »

Adamant it

HELLO EVERYBODY>THIS IS YOUR DAILY DOSE OF THE INTERNET>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

What titles are you crashing on? And what hard drive are they running off? Have you thought that it could be your hard drive dying? or a version of your DX has a corrupted sector?

Also, agree with the windows updates f***ing everything. Maybe not hard drive specifically but could have been linked. I'm running the PC from an M.2 Drive.
    My PC updated on it's own over like 20 mins last week and before them it was running fine at a 5.2GHz OC, and XMP running RAM at 3200. After update it restarted, crashed....crashed again, wouldn't load boot screen, wouldn't run recovery without crashing. I had to do a CMOS reset (which is luckily easy with the MSI MEG Z490 Unify as there's a reset CMOS button). This was the only thing that then allowed me to restart windows. Then I had to manually reset any of my OCs and it's fine now.

Advertisement