Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Wide Monitors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I can't imagine how big a 49" is...

Yay big!
    Samsung Odyssey G9

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My new job just gave me a Dell 34" U3415W to work on.

Good gods, it's MASSIVE!

Congrats on the new job!

Have the same monitor at home and I love it - could never go back to a 27".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My new job just gave me a Dell 34" U3415W to work on.

Good gods, it's MASSIVE!

Well la-di-dah

Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just Google that Dell monitor... Saucy

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Just quick question for ultrawide users. Curved or flat? I'm still fighting with myself whether to get second 32" or go 34" ultrawide.
    With wide in mind I have found, so far, two options. Iiama G-Master 34 or AOC Cu34. One is flat, second curved. One VA, other IPS.
    Or any other good picks in budget 500€ with 32@144Hz in mind?

• Advertisement

Gaming - curved all the way IMHO. They're already 'too big' in certain situations like competitive shooters and not having a curve would make the scanning you have to do worse.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Just quick question for ultrawide users. Curved or flat? I'm still fighting with myself whether to get second 32" or go 34" ultrawide.
    With wide in mind I have found, so far, two options. Iiama G-Master 34 or AOC Cu34. One is flat, second curved. One VA, other IPS.
    Or any other good picks in budget 500€ with 32@144Hz in mind?

I'm the same but leaning towards a 32" now. Gonna wait until the New Year before i decide.

I'm the same but leaning towards a 32" now. Gonna wait until the New Year before i decide.

I'm torn to what to get. To many too choose from. Whenever I get my eye on one, I find something better or similar in better price and then again and again.

tenor.gif?itemid=12708224

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

tusk wrote: »

Literally the post right above yours :D
    _CreeD_ wrote: »
    I use a Samsung CRG9 with DisplayFusion Pro for this on a single input and it's a great combination.

It's a great monitor for both gaming and productivity, again if you get a desktop manager to split it into virtual spaces. I use 100% for games, and then a mix of 1:1, 2:1 (2x for remote work, 1x for local and zoom), or 1:1:1 . Colour reproduction is excellent, but HDR is only ok at best (and you have to disable freesync and drop to 100Hz for it). Black levels are good for an LED/QLED. Response time is good but there can be a little more smearing on general windows than I'd like. Overall though it's a beast and great for pretty much anything you throw at it.
    Oh and on gaming just remember that it's pretty close to 4k in pixel count so have something beefy to run it maxed (and the obvious that 32:9 is so niche the games that use all that real estate properly are rare).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Would a 1080 be enough for something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

For recent (1-2 years) at full res at 60Hz+ on AAA's no, some older/less complex games or stepping the details down a bit should be ok. I've a 2080ti (overclocked) and I'd say 90% run at >60Hz but not all. That said it's chicken & egg really, I'd say if you have uses outside gaming aswell then absolutely get it, if not then it's still not a bad idea if you have plans for a new GPU (whenever the damn things are actually available) as you'll be ready to really let it shine. If it's game only and you already have a decent though smaller monitor, 1440P or 4k then a new GPU might be a better investment first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Pretty much echoing the above post with my own perspective. I'm running less than that in terms of pixel count (3840x1600) with a 2080ti and I have to tone down settings to medium/low to maintain a stable 160fps on Call of Duty for example. Could maybe keep it around 60fps maxed out but I prioritise frame rate in shooters.

Point being, the monitor you mention is much bigger, so I'd imagine a 1080 would struggle a fair bit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-FreeSync-Compatible-Ultrawide-Monitor/dp/B08DL615J1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gigabyte+34%22&qid=1606141253&sr=8-1

The above was £399.99 a few days back - looks promising - waiting for review from Hardware Unboxed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-FreeSync-Compatible-Ultrawide-Monitor/dp/B08DL615J1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gigabyte+34%22&qid=1606141253&sr=8-1

The above was £399.99 a few days back - looks promising - waiting for review from Hardware Unboxed.

Same VA panel as in AOC, Iiyama or Xiamo Mi curved. They trade blows, only few minor difference between them like tilt options and overall quality feel.
    G-syns tend to be a problem on that panel, on some will work on others have flicker issue.
    Im thinking more and more about going dual setup. Cant find ultrawide with decent color,144hz and flat without selling one of organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Handy thing about the 34 inch, 3440x1440p monitors, is they are 1 to 1 on pixel counts with the QHD 27 inch monitors. So they stack side by side handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

yeah the g34wqc, mi 34, ilyama etc are same panel

many, many reports of flickering with gsync compatible turned on, some reports say its just in menus of game where it flickers, others say a good quality DP cable helps

It seems though that all of these ultrawides using this panel have the issue

Gigabyte initially marketed the G34WQC as g-sync compatible but removed it from their own website

BArra wrote: »
    yeah the g34wqc, mi 34, ilyama etc are same panel

many, many reports of flickering with gsync compatible turned on, some reports say its just in menus of game where it flickers, others say a good quality DP cable helps

It seems though that all of these ultrawides using this panel have the issue

Gigabyte initially marketed the G34WQC as g-sync compatible but removed it from their own website
    G-sync compatible, isnt that a similar gimmick like Hd ready in old days?
    It looks that in 34 1440@144 Va its a panel lottery, after going thru half reddit and some smaller youtube chanels which revied that monitors. The quality can be different even in the same model, its always something.
    Had a thought about going level higher, with G7 or maybe something from Lg. Still some issues can be found, would expect that in premium price bracket it would be trouble free.
    In the end im back to square one.

That G7 32" i have my eye on is 200 quid cheaper in the US at the moment on Black Friday sales. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I've been working and gaming on the AOC CU34G2X for the last 2 weeks. My last monitor was a 29" Ultrawide LG monitor, 2560x1080 resolution and 60hz. Some thoughts:

This is a step up in literally every way. Even though my previous monitor was IPS and I've moved to VA, I still think the colours are better on this. I've looked at the same scenes and games side by side and the difference is stark.

Hardware Unboxed said this monitor is closer to 120hz than 144hz and that might be the case, but coming from 60hz, it all just looks great to me.

Black levels are fantastic.

I've dropped down to 1 monitor. Previously, I'd been running a 24" beside the old ultrawide in portrait mode. 34" is great for productivity, no question.

I'm using the G-Sync compatible mode with my 3080 and I've only seen the backlight flicker in one game and that was only in the menu (Fortnite, for reference). Other than that, it's been pretty flawless.

It needs calibration. While it's not terrible out of the box, it definitely needs work.

One menu choices is resetting itself - this is a bit of a pain in the arse. The specific menu option is Picture Boost, which I want to leave on.

Oh - going back to the old non-curved ultrawide is really strange. It looks off for some reason.

Anyway, this is a great monitor for the price. It's not amazing in any individual facet, but when you change your entire rig at once you need to save a few bob somewhere. For less than €500 you're getting a lot of monitor here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've been using 2 x 27" Philips monitors for years. I'm thinking of adding a third monitor to play music/watch media on while using the other 2 at the same time for work. That would mean a new graphics card I think to give an extra HDMI input. An ultra wide caught my eye recently, and I'm wondering would using that with 1 of the 27" work with the integrated graphics card on the Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor. Anyone any idea?

I use it for work mainly (spreadsheets and other relatively simple software) so graphics not hugely important. Been looking at this monitor.

https://www.eurieka.ie/samsung-cj890-c49j890dku-124-2-cm-48-9-3840-x-1080-pixels-led-black.html

Anyone have one or any thoughts on it?

• Advertisement

That G7 32" i have my eye on is 200 quid cheaper in the US at the moment on Black Friday sales. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

In Eu we have cousin of Black Friday, Greyish Friday. You can find some decent deals but most are rubbish compared to Usa. Check Samsung Uk vs Samsung Ie. On ie just one monitor on special offer...
    Wouldnt it be still worth it to get it even with the tax and customs?

yoshiktk wrote: »
    In Eu we have cousin of Black Friday, Greyish Friday. You can find some decent deals but most are rubbish compared to Usa. Check Samsung Uk vs Samsung Ie. On ie just one monitor on special offer...
    Wouldnt it be still worth it to get it even with the tax and customs?

I wouldn't risk getting a bad panel so i'll wait until Amazon or similar have some discounts on it..

I hate You. Just got my list sorted out, now have to get thru it again.
    Was thinking about going with this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363140997699
    50£ less than Amazon.
    Anyone orderes stuff from them? Box.co.uk?

That Acer is the same price on Amazon too.

I've heard the name Box before but haven't heard what they're like to buy from.

Probably the same Samsung panel like used in others, just the higher brightness puts me off, 400cd vs 350ish on rest. In the end would go with name I know.
    On Ocuk theres Iiyama on offer, 394£ with delivery.
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I have an Electriq 27" 1440p 95Hz IPS panel and it's been great.

Why would higher max brightness put you off? You know you can reduce it right?

BloodBath wrote: »
    I have an Electriq 27" 1440p 95Hz IPS panel and it's been great.

Why would higher max brightness put you off? You know you can reduce it right?

Not in the bad way, just was thinking whether its the same panel as most of these monitors show spec around 350. After looking thru some tests it can go as low as 200ish in Aoc, to over 450 in Iiyama.
    Quiete a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think it's more of a case of the backlight strength rather than the panel itself.

350-400 is a very small difference and it could well be the same panel.

Advertisement