Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-10-2019, 22:33   #31
ClanofLams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy Black View Post
I think he offers a different skillset to the existing scrumhalves we have, has the ability to whip a ball out wide with little wind up and as a result tends to drift and draw in defenders. But I agree, at the moment he's not really a standout as such but depends on what Andy Farrell is looking at game plan wise.

I think Lowry's just that little bit too green for international level at the moment and a bit small, but definitely has potential in the future. EOS might suffer a bit with McGrath being in the mix up in Ulster now compared to last season.
Lowry should have been moved to 9 a few years ago I think. Quality player but really difficult to see him being physically capable of playing at 10 or 15 at test level, even long term for Ulster it’s gonna be tough.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 22:40   #32
joseywhales

Wait are we complaining that we have a former world player if the year in the most pivotal position on the field?
12-10-2019, 22:43   #33
Squidgy Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseywhales View Post
Wait are we complaining that we have a former world player if the year in the most pivotal position on the field?
....... no?
12-10-2019, 22:44   #34
joseywhales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy Black View Post
Quote:
....... no?
Sorry wrong thread, someone was complaining that he is made of glass
12-10-2019, 23:49   #35
stephen_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
He loves a bit of the rough does James.

Being serious though, there's no back three player in Ireland with Lowe's offloading ability. He threw an outrageous one just yesterday against Edinburgh. He's also an excellent line runner and because of his size he always makes those few extra metres in traffic. There's a place for him in the squad if he wants it.
Can’t wait to see Luke Fitzgerald’s head explode if this happens.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 00:09   #36
Blackheath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Maybe Thornbury and Blade will get capped. We've a need for more quality locks and scrum halves. But I don't see Tom Farrell getting a look in tbh. Ringrose is miles better and the other Farrell has done a decent job when given the opportunity.
Who will be the next capped in each position?
13-10-2019, 00:37   #37
Uriel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegians89 View Post
I’m not against project players or anything but I feel they have to be better than current options and don’t really see JGP as much better than Marmion, blade, cooney or McGrath. You’d nearly just be capping him for the sake of making sure he doesn’t leave.

Lowry and Eric o Sullivan based on last season would be up there too. Ronan kelleher could be a real bolter too if he keeps up his form.
I don't agree. I think JGP has the potential to surpass all of them, particularly by offering something different. He's been on great form in the early rounds of the Pro14 and I think the whole 3 NIQs issue from the last couple of seasons has possibly held him back a bit with rotation amongst those players. I think we'll see JGP get more game time this year, in a more consistent way and I think he has the potential to crack on. I'd expect to see him get an Irish call up in the 12 months following the World Cup.
13-10-2019, 04:20   #38
padser

Quote:
Sorry wrong thread, someone was complaining that he is made of glass
Given injury rate for out halves in general, far from being made of glass,, I think Sexton has a surprising ability to get onto the pitch, in particular for big games.

Because he is so crucial to us, every niggle or rumour is talked about at length, but I think his record of getting games is actually fine (definitely no worse than average)
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 07:34   #39
ClanofLams

Ireland have flown in solicitor to represent Bundee Aki at Monday’s hearing Murray Kinsey’s reports. Doubt it will do much good but worth a go I guess.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2019, 07:42   #40
realhorrorshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheath View Post
Lhp: no clear standout, Eric O’Sullivan maybe
Hooker: Ronan Kelleher
Thp: no clear standout for me
Lock: any of Thornbury, Molony, or Wycherly, with loads more talent breathing down their necks
Back row: whichever of Deegan or Doris starts the European games for Leinster
Scrum half: Blade or JGP
Out half: can’t see any new outhalves being capped for a while, if there was an injury crisis you’d imagine Billy Burns would be next up
Centre: hard to call, loads of talent around but it depends who can nail down game time at provincial level
Wing: Baloucoune and Lyttle would both be candidates for me
Fullback: probably Haley by default
13-10-2019, 07:44   #41
Shefwedfan

For all the Connacht nominations, they are in Heineken Cup this season and let see how they perform before talking about capping them.

I think everyone can agree Carty has struggled with the step up to international level and we want all our internationals playing heneiken rugby regular....great for Connacht as well....please note before everyone goes off on one not having a go at Carty

Players I think, JGP might jump everyone. I don’t think Marmion is up to it, are they better concentrating on blade?

Also Balacoune from Ulster should be brought in, wing options of Stockdale, Balacoune and Lowe will be competitive.

Larmour is the replacement 15 but yet to see who his back up will be?
Thanks from:
13-10-2019, 08:29   #42
padser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
For all the Connacht nominations, they are in Heineken Cup this season and let see how they perform before talking about capping them.

I think everyone can agree Carty has struggled with the step up to international level and we want all our internationals playing heneiken rugby regular....great for Connacht as well....please note before everyone goes off on one not having a go at Carty

Players I think, JGP might jump everyone. I don’t think Marmion is up to it, are they better concentrating on blade?

Also Balacoune from Ulster should be brought in, wing options of Stockdale, Balacoune and Lowe will be competitive.

Conway I'd imagine will be his back up
13-10-2019, 09:27   #43
Wegians89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post

Marmion a guy who’s started in wins again the all blacks and England not up to it, yeah okay.
13-10-2019, 09:33   #44
Wegians89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheath View Post
1. O’Sullivan
2. Kelleher
3. Knox
4. Wycherley
5. Thornbury
6. Deegan
7. Boyle
8. Doris
9. Blade
10. Harry Byrne
11. Shane Daly
12. Goggin
13. Farrell
14. Balacoune
15. Stephan Fitzgerald

16. DTM
17. Milne
18. O’Toole
19. Baird
20. Penny
21. Casey
22. C. Fitzgerald/ Lowry
23. Keenan/ Turner / Lyttle

Most of these might get one or two caps, particularly from 11-15. I’m sure I’m missing some obvious uncapped players too. Knox is one I haven’t seen but has a bit of hype and could see him getting capped to “claim him”.

I’d also like to say I’m really looking forward to the potential battle at hooker between kelleher, DTM and potentially McElroy it he breaks back into the provincial set up. For years best was the only decent option but there could be huge depth coming through in a couple of years.

Last edited by Wegians89; 13-10-2019 at 09:44.
13-10-2019, 09:45   #45
ClanofLams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegians89 View Post
Marmion a guy who’s started in wins again the all blacks and England not up to it, yeah okay.
And champions cup standard is important so Gibson Park, with a total of one champions cup start to his name, will go ahead of him. Sound logic.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion