Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

• 12-10-2019 7:18pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Continued from here
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057953711/251
    All Ireland Senior XV related talk here.

MOD: Bear in mind this thread is starting during the World Cup window and the zero tolerance policy is in force. Trolling will be rewarded with an instant ban. For the duration of the tournament any mention of Zebo in this thread will not be permitted, it is just dragging current Ireland squad talk off topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

First.

History to repeat, Mayo lose All Irelands, don't invade Russia in the winter, Ireland out at the quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think we should start with some positivity

Ireland are going to win the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think we should start with some realism, Ireland are going to put their best 2019 performance into the 1/4 final and that might be enough

I think we should start with some realism, Ireland are going to put their best 2019 performance into the 1/4 final and that might be enough

Even if we won the 6 nations we would still have needed our best performance of the year to get into the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

We'll do it lads............wahey!

S02E09-JFh7SwT2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭connachta

Connacht colony will break through in 2020 (Tom Farrell, Thornbury, Blade)

connachta wrote: »

They bringing along TOH as well :-)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They bringing along TOH as well :-)

You might be surprised to see S.Fitzgerald soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

connachta wrote: »

Maybe Thornbury and Blade will get capped. We've a need for more quality locks and scrum halves. But I don't see Tom Farrell getting a look in tbh. Ringrose is miles better and the other Farrell has done a decent job when given the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Clegg wrote: »
    Maybe Thornbury and Blade will get capped. We've a need for more quality locks and scrum halfs. But I don't see Tom Farrell getting a look in tbh. Ringrose is miles better and the other Farrell has done a decent job when given the opportunity.

Tend to agree with this. Doesn’t help that Tom Farrell can’t get a start for Connacht at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Start of a new RWC cycle and a new coach, I reckon we could see a lot of new caps over the next two summer tours and autumn internationals. Short list of potentials who could get a run-out in my opinion would probably be:

Jameson Gibson Park
    Caolan Blade
    Max Deegan
    James Lowe
    Tom Farrell
    Shane Daly
    Rob Lyttle

After watching the group games I feel there’s something missing with the Ryan, Henderson pairing and I don’t really know what it is. They’re both individually brilliant and dynamic players and statistically scrum and line outs have gone well but there’s just something missing. Ryan is nailed on starter and future captain

Start of a new RWC cycle and a new coach, I reckon we could see a lot of new caps over the next two summer tours and autumn internationals. Short list of potentials who could get a run-out in my opinion would probably be:

Jameson Gibson Park
    Caolan Blade
    Max Deegan
    James Lowe
    Tom Farrell
    Shane Daly
    Rob Lyttle

I’m not against project players or anything but I feel they have to be better than current options and don’t really see JGP as much better than Marmion, blade, cooney or McGrath. You’d nearly just be capping him for the sake of making sure he doesn’t leave.

Lowry and Eric o Sullivan based on last season would be up there too. Ronan kelleher could be a real bolter too if he keeps up his form.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    After watching the group games I feel there’s something missing with the Ryan, Henderson pairing and I don’t really know what it is. They’re both individually brilliant and dynamic players and statistically scrum and line outs have gone well but there’s just something missing. Ryan is nailed on starter and future captain

Both similar players I think, they don't really offer a balance like Toner does when he pairs up with either of them. I think it's a case that Toner usually takes more of the grunt securing the ruck and going with the carrier, whereas the loosehead lock then carries a bit more and jackals.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I’m not against project players or anything but I feel they have to be better than current options and don’t really see JGP as much better than Marmion, blade, cooney or McGrath. You’d nearly just be capping him for the sake of making sure he doesn’t leave.

Lowry and Eric o Sullivan based on last season would be up there too. Ronan kelleher could be a real bolter too if he keeps up his form.

I think he offers a different skillset to the existing scrumhalves we have, has the ability to whip a ball out wide with little wind up and as a result tends to drift and draw in defenders. But I agree, at the moment he's not really a standout as such but depends on what Andy Farrell is looking at game plan wise.

I think Lowry's just that little bit too green for international level at the moment and a bit small, but definitely has potential in the future. EOS might suffer a bit with McGrath being in the mix up in Ulster now compared to last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Some questions to ask going forwards into this new era:

1) Who do people see taking over the reins as captain?

2) What jerseys are up for grabs?

3) Who's likely to go abroad in the next cycle?

4) Is James Ryan actually the second coming of Christ?

Discuss.

DGRulz wrote: »

3) Is James Ryan actually the second coming of Christ?

Discuss.

1) Ryan, in one of the game already I think POM was captain and Ryan was telling the kicker to go for the posts

2) 2, 6 if we say POM is incumbant, 14 Earls due to age, 15 Kearney due to age....

3) No......Christ was never real in first place :eek:

Sexton is taking the captaincy post Best. He has a contract until 2021 and he's still our best 10 by a mile. The only thing that might work against him is injury.

WRT positions up for grabs, I can see Earls and Kearney cycled out of the team. Larmour is putting his hand up at full back and Conway will push hard too. James Lowe will be eligible and will absolutely be picked if he declares for Ireland. He has a skillset that no other outside back in the country possesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    3) No......Christ was never real in first place :eek:

So you're saying he's the one true Messiah? Gotcha

VDF

Healy, Sexton, Kearney, Earls, POM, Murphy, Cronin, McGrath, Aki, Best, Farrell I'd say. The 20 others will be in RWC 2023 IMO

Among the "newcomers" I'd have Shane Daly, Blade, Addison, D.Leavy, Robb, Treadwell, Dooley ...

3) Who's likely to go abroad in the next cycle?

Handerson maybe..

4) Is James Ryan actually the second coming of Christ?

he's absolutely brillant, very hard to find a criticism somewhere

Discuss.

See in 3 and a half years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I presume Ireland will be looking for new scrum and attack coaches. Any idea where they may come from?

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I presume Ireland will be looking for new scrum and attack coaches. Any idea where they may come from?

John Fogarty is taking over from Greg Feek, Mike Catt being brought in as attack coach

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clegg wrote: »
    Sexton is taking the captaincy post Best. He has a contract until 2021 and he's still our best 10 by a mile. The only thing that might work against him is injury.

WRT positions up for grabs, I can see Earls and Kearney cycled out of the team. Larmour is putting his hand up at full back and Conway will push hard too. James Lowe will be eligible and will absolutely be picked if he declares for Ireland. He has a skillset that no other outside back in the country possesses.

That being slapping guys on the arse :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

John Fogarty is taking over from Greg Feek, Mike Catt being brought in as attack coach

Well I certainly missed that! Thanks for the update.

• phog wrote: »
    That being putting guys on their arse :pac: :pac: :pac:

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Anyone know what Catt’s reputation is like? He meant to be highly regarded?

phog wrote: »
    That being slapping guys on the arse :pac: :pac: :pac:

He loves a bit of the rough does James.

Being serious though, there's no back three player in Ireland with Lowe's offloading ability. He threw an outrageous one just yesterday against Edinburgh. He's also an excellent line runner and because of his size he always makes those few extra metres in traffic. There's a place for him in the squad if he wants it.

So you're saying he's the one true Messiah? Gotcha

Exactly

Anyone know what Catt’s reputation is like? He meant to be highly regarded?

Was Backs coach under Lancaster from 2012-2015 for England, and then was attack coach for Italy. When he was announced people weren't exactly jumping up and down with joy, but he has a decent bit of international experience and has done some decent work with Italy.

On another note, the entire coaching ticket from the England 2015 RWC is now working in Ireland (Lancaster, Farrell, Catt and Rowantree).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I think he offers a different skillset to the existing scrumhalves we have, has the ability to whip a ball out wide with little wind up and as a result tends to drift and draw in defenders. But I agree, at the moment he's not really a standout as such but depends on what Andy Farrell is looking at game plan wise.

I think Lowry's just that little bit too green for international level at the moment and a bit small, but definitely has potential in the future. EOS might suffer a bit with McGrath being in the mix up in Ulster now compared to last season.

Lowry should have been moved to 9 a few years ago I think. Quality player but really difficult to see him being physically capable of playing at 10 or 15 at test level, even long term for Ulster it’s gonna be tough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement