Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who will win the main event
Khabib Nurmagomedov by KO/TKO 13 14.44%
Khabib Nurmagomedov by Sub 29 32.22%
Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points 24 26.67%
Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO 20 22.22%
Dustin Poirier by Sub 0 0%
Dustin Poirier on Points 4 4.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

10-09-2019, 10:15   #511
eagle eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStuffins
For some people, being the best isn't good enough.
Can you name the great fighters he has fought?
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 10:22   #512
Tazzimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nal View Post
A lot of McGregor fanboys are reluctant to acknowledge his greatness. However I do think he needs another couple of top 5 wins to cement that legacy. He hasn't really beaten a great (Ferguson) yet.
Eh, Aldo?

Edit: ignore me being a derp and thinking of the wrong fighter

Last edited by Tazzimus; 10-09-2019 at 10:51.
10-09-2019, 10:45   #513
Cupp3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzimus View Post
Eh, Aldo?
When did he fight Aldo?
10-09-2019, 10:51   #514
Tazzimus

Ugh never mind, I thought he was on about McGregor when he mentioned his fanboys.

I need more coffee.
10-09-2019, 10:52   #515
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupp3r View Post
When did he fight Aldo?
I guess you missed that fight?

I think Tazzimus read your original post as McGregor needing more top 5 wins, rather than Khabib.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 10:59   #516
Gamb!t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall_Guy View Post
Not as much as he could afford to pay for it himself! A nice gesture for sure, but when you have just made a few million for your nights work, you'd think he could have offered up a small percentage of his purse for the charity himself rather than a t-shirt that someone much less well-off than him will be shelling out for
Looks like he kept the shirt but will sell the gloves.
10-09-2019, 11:08   #517
Cupp3r

Quote:
Ugh never mind, I thought he was on about McGregor when he mentioned his fanboys.

I need more coffee.
I was like must of definitely been sleeping on that one.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 12:37   #518
MrStuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eye View Post
Can you name the great fighters he has fought?
Not sure what this has to do with anything I said?
10-09-2019, 13:41   #519
NoviGlitzko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStuffins View Post
I must say, the logic disappoints me.

Someone comes along who is the very best at his weight class, beats all comers and looks dominant in doing it and it's HIS fault that he's not disadvantaging himself and fighting bigger and stronger guys than him and until he does he hasn't proven himself?

Khabib, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Mighty Mouse......... it's happened to them all.

For some people, being the best isn't good enough.
McGregor climbed to the top of featherweight division and wanted to test himself in another weight class. He did well for himself, got a world title out of it. He even went to welterweight against Diaz twice. Man has no fear. If Conor never left FW there'd be people including him in the greatest lists.

Because of Khabib's style using his natural size advantage to force on opponent's, moving up weight puts his outstanding quality fairly obsolete. Like if he's so good why doesn't he move up? My reservations with him being talked about as great are the same with Mighty Mouse. They're afraid.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 13:45   #520
Tazzimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviGlitzko View Post
McGregor climbed to the top of featherweight division and wanted to test himself in another weight class. He did well for himself, got a world title out of it. He even went to welterweight against Diaz twice. Man has no fear. If Conor never left FW there'd be people including him in the greatest lists.

Because of Khabib's style using his natural size advantage to force on opponent's, moving up weight puts his outstanding quality fairly obsolete. Like if he's so good why doesn't he move up? My reservations with him being talked about as great are the same with Mighty Mouse. They're afraid.
He did not go to Welterweight.
He fought at 170, which is average ish for a Lightweight on fight night, also roughly his usual weight.

It was billed as a Welterweight fight, but it was just two Lightweights who didn't cut weight to fight.
10-09-2019, 13:58   #521
xckjoo

Quote:

Khabib started and stayed in the division he's naturally closest too. McGregor started at a lower division with brutal weight cuts. Can't see him ever fighting featherweight again.
10-09-2019, 14:21   #522
Mellor

Quote:
Because of Khabib's style using his natural size advantage to force on opponent's, moving up weight puts his outstanding quality fairly obsolete.
What size advantage do you think Khabib over the rest of the average top LW?

Quote:
It was billed as a Welterweight fight, but it was just two Lightweights who didn't cut weight to fight.
It wasn’t a welterweight fight.
But Diaz couldn’t make LW either.

It was almost booked at super lightweight. Could have been historic.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 14:28   #523
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xckjoo View Post
Khabib started and stayed in the division he's naturally closest too.
Khabib has also fought at welterweight.
And has missed weight at LW.
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 14:39   #524
NoviGlitzko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xckjoo View Post
Khabib started and stayed in the division he's naturally closest too. McGregor started at a lower division with brutal weight cuts. Can't see him ever fighting featherweight again.
Khabib's weight cuts to LW have a tougher track record than Conor's to FW. He complained about feeling sick & the cut's having a detrimental effect to his health, + missing weight at least once. He puts himself through it because he knows he can't mix it at WW. If he could he wouldn't be putting himself through the above.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 14:51   #525
Tazzimus

Quote:
Khabib's weight cuts to LW have a tougher track record than Conor's to FW. He complained about feeling sick & the cut's having a detrimental effect to his health, + missing weight at least once. He puts himself through it because he knows he can't mix it at WW. If he could he wouldn't be putting himself through the above.
Conor looked like a corpse weighing in at 145
Both weight cuts were equally tough, Conor just had better weight discipline, no tiramisu, etc.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion