Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in New York

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

going to NY in the morning.heard macys give a tourist discount when you show your passport.any other stores do this?? dont want to miss out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

df1985 wrote: »
    going to NY in the morning.heard macys give a tourist discount when you show your passport.any other stores do this?? dont want to miss out!

Bloomingdales too as far as I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 celica00wd

Pythia wrote: »
    People often bring wheelie suitcases. You would certainly not look out of place with one.

Do my shopping in the US every year since 2002. Been to Boston, NY, San Fran, Vegas and Chicago....

Every visit to the outlet mall i bring a wheelie suitcase....its what everyone does,you dont look out of place the only problem is negotiating the small stores without hopping off other people!!!! well worth it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 celica00wd

Sorry to be asking something kind of non-New York but I am going to be in NYC and then Vegas this summer and wonder if anyone has experience of shopping in Vegas? Fashion City seems to have all the stores, but I just don't want to find it a disappointment and regret not buying in New York.

Vegas shopping has to be up there with the best of em. Theres a shopping centre just down the strip across the road from the Venetian and the Wynn called Fashion Show, one of the best mallls ive been too. Ceasars, where we stayed had a mall called the forum shops with everything from Abercrombie and Fitch to Versace....unreal! then theres two outlet malls to choose from, i went to the Las Vegas Premium Outlets, owned by the same people that have Woodbury Common, also super for shopping! all the same stuff that will be in the new york outlets will be in the vegas ones. If theres something you see on high street in New York BUY IT! although i got caught....:( bought a ralph lauren jacket for myself at home cost me €260, my dad liked it so i told him id get him one in he states. Saw it in Macys, for $120 so i got it. then went to the outlet mall and the exact same jacket was $69.99. SICKENED!!!! My motto would be buy it, have no regrets....but Vegas will not dissapoint shopping wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'm just back and would agree with what you said about Las Vegas Premium Outlets (where I spent a small fortune) and Fashion Show Mall (where I spent another small fortune, loving Ruehl!). Both places were great, and to put them in comparison, we stopped off at Jersey Gardens at the end of our trip (before leaving car back to Newark, a few miles away), and to say I was underwhelmed doesn't begin to describe it, as far as I was concerned. I'd rather shop in The Square! The A&F and Holister stores were the worst - thick lumberjack shirts and horrible hoodies were the order of the day, and there was hardly a tee-shirt in either place, although at least you didn't have to put up with dancing staff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am heading to Boston in december, any tips..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Just back from a trip over.

Thought jersey gardens was pretty poor being honest. I found the walk in atlantic city to be good for shopping. I really don't know why anyone buys RL stuff in brown thomas when its a quarter of the price in the outlet and they have practically everything bt has.

Saks on 5th ave in new york were doing a good sale. Got presents in abercrombie, never seen queues so long in there before.

Has anyone been to canal st? I took a trip down this year. wasnt overly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hi all, off to NYC in a few months and just wondering about shopping....

...I'm not a fan of A&F, Hillister etc. I like unusual, funky stuff and enjoy the odd bit of goth, retro and cyber wear (as well as cute dresses!) Is NYC good for this kind of shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

there is a brand desigual that has loads of unusual clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

Desigual has some great things but it's actually a Spanish brand and it might be more expensive in the States. For something a bit different than the typical A+F and Hollister you could try Brooklyn Industries. Several branches in NYC one near Soho. Right next door is Triple 5 Soul. They have great hoodies and other interesting things for both men and women...much better than the A+F hoodies. A bit south on the same street is Screaming Mimi's which has both new and vintage stuff, some of which would fit the goth bill. Another one to visit in soho is Yellow Rat Bastard. You could google for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

What about plus size clothes?Is there a good selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I'm going to be in new york in about 3 weeks time, but unfortunately I'm not going to have much time for shopping, only about a day and 1/2 at most.

The thing is I will be in toronto at the end of the trip so I'm wondering should I do all of my shopping in new york or will I get better value in toronto??

btw I'm looking for the usual things-clothes,bags,shoes,make-up. no brand in particiular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Going in 2 weeks. Im bringing a big suitcase with enough clothes for 2 days and buying the rest over there. The only thing im worried about it on the way back. What are the rules on bringing clothes and jewelery back? Im getting the other half some jewelery. If i put it in my carry on lugage will that be ok? If i cut all the labels and throw away the reciepts is it definite i dont have to pay anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I found Toronto a bit more expensive with the exchange rate. A while since I was there but there is a very large shopping centre in the city centre that has most shops such as A&F and Old Navy. Much more relaxing to look around. You should def have a look in Macys in NY though and consider going to Woodbury too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

For the person who wants to know about plus size shopping in NY most shops carry a plus size dept such as Macys Blommingdales Bergdorfs for dressy then you have Old Navy, Tommy Hilfiger for casual gear,all the sports stores carry their brands to larger sizes(Reebok Nike and Addidas)Modells is a good sports store for this Country Seat carries all the denim ranges to large sizes like Levi Wrangler etc. You can get plus size Juicy Couture in Blommys which is fab and gives a tourist discount of 11% as does Macys(basically you get the tax back)Also check out the discount stores on 7th avenue like Vilenes basement and Tj max and the Burlington Coat Company is always good for a look see(sells all types of clothes not just coats)Hope this post helps you out if I can think of any more I will post again.BTW remember to try everything on the US sizes are way bigger than ours and you may not need plus size at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

df1985 wrote: »
    a question for anyone who has been to woodbury common.judging by the amount of stores on the website, id say ill be buying a lot of stuff.my only worry is how the hell do i cart all the bags back on the bus.nearly considering bringing a gym bag or something.has anyone done this/any tips??

bring a suitcase with wheels i did that for jersey gardens and boy was i glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Just wondering what is the best way to get out there - I see the website for Woodbury Common even suggest travel by helicopter!!

Which has been the tried and tested way for boardies!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrssummer

M007 wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the best way to get out there - I see the website for Woodbury Common even suggest travel by helicopter!!

Which has been the tried and tested way for boardies!

Thanks

We always got the bus from the port authorty & found it fine. You can buy the tickets from the grey line sales persons (men in red jackets) around times square or outside the port authority building . Takes about an hour to get there. Helicopter sounds great though if you can afford it !

Make sure you rent out the lockers. We didn't know about it the first time we were there and had to go home early when we couldn't carry the bags any longer :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Hi I was there last year and stayed in jersey City just accross the water. Newport mall is a nice roomy place to shop not crowded like Manhatten. All the big stores there. Only one or two stops on the path train. Went to outlet mall but bought very little but bought tons in Newport. Also no tax on clothes in Jersey City so cheaper. I had a ball and would go back in a flash if only I had the money.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

I bought a large bag on wheels for 10 dollars. Had to arms could not take anymore. Just wheeled it around shops and filled it no prob. Everything is so cheap its hard not too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

Hi
    Any one know anything about the Tanger Riverhead outlets in Long Island .would welcome advice or opinions on how it compares with Woodbury Common or the one (garden plaza? ) in NJ:confused:
    Many thanks:)
    mv

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Off to New York on Wednesday :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Hope you enjoyed it. How did it go?

dungeon wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed it. How did it go?

Best week of my life :) New York is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

theres a place on Long Island roughly 1 hours train journey away and its great,got all designer gear for nextto nothin.Cant remember what its called ,its through a local connection that i found out.GOOD Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Woodbury was great if you have money to spend! Well obviously! Over 220 designer stores there and many more kind of 'brand' names. You get good discounts! I found SoHo to be good for shopping too! Have Fun

Mary007 wrote: »
    Woodbury was great if you have money to spend! Well obviously! Over 220 designer stores there and many more kind of 'brand' names. You get good discounts! I found SoHo to be good for shopping too! Have Fun

Soho is brilliant, I loved it, definitely my favourite! Topshop and Urban Outfitters are there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rubyrua

Is topshop \ urban outfitters any cheaper in NY then here\london?

Any nice dress shops in NY?:(

I was told by a friend that Topshop is really expensive in NY but I love it so I didn't care! Went armed with a credit card and just picked up whatever I wanted. I spent between six and seven hundred dollars in there and got two dresses, a pair of leggings, a pair of jeans, a blazer, about ten t-shirts (one from Topshop Boutique which was expensive on it's own), a bag and some jewelery.
    When I got home and saw the credit card bill, I couldn't believe it! All of that had just come to slightly over four hundred euro!

Urban Outfitters is cheaper though. There are some film cameras in the one in Dublin priced at between sixty and eighty euro and I got one for forty dollars, yay! The clothes are cheaper too. All the cool t-shirts were only around fifteen dollars!

As for dresses, I bought a really cool one in Forever 21 for twenty dollars and I wore it out one night here and have never had so many people ask me where I got something from! :) So I say check out there 'cause there are loads of dresses and it is cheap too!

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    Soho is brilliant, I loved it, definitely my favourite! Topshop and Urban Outfitters are there :)

Urban Outfitters is not really SoHo, more east village.

Advertisement