Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-07-2015, 16:28   #91
B00MSTICK

I've just started playing last week. Any point in starting a "Irish HOTS players" thread? I don't feel like looking through the SC2 thread for Bnet IDs!

I've found it enjoyable so far and the fact that you don't need to commit an hour per game is a big plus.
As a LoL player there are certain aspects I miss regarding the variance/items etc. I find its harder to snowball/carry due to some of the above and the global XP which can be a bit annoying but that could be my lack of experience too.
If I'm crushing my lane and I get an early kill or two it doesn't really matter that much which is what leads to the comeback mechanics.
I think it relies just as much on the team comp as other MOBAs (possibly moreso) so am looking forward to giving HL a go.
Advertisement
01-08-2015, 07:26   #92
RopeDrink
Gregarious Gamer Geek

HotS has insane comeback factor - it's just not tied to things we'd be used to in, say, League of Legends where one person can carry an entire match. They are also typically tied to the map you're playing on, with some with much more comeback factor than others.

I've had so many games where we're either ahead for the majority - and lose - or have been behind for the majority (sometimes greatly so) and clutch out wins, all because of one single bad decision or one unfavorable scenario. The objective maps enforce this, hence a lot of teams falter when making bad calls or being a silly solo hero. Killing or being killed isn't as 'oh no / oh yes' on its own compared to League - unless you're suddenly in a 4v5 scenario where an objective that can win the game is being contested, meaning it's still very important - just not a 'get loads of kills and become a monster' style.

I feel it's better this way, allowing a few errors - but once the timers start growing, you still need to fix what you're doing wrong, even if your team is ahead, or you'll throw the whole game.

A lot of it contributes to this attitude that it's more casual - but I still don't accept that. Casual would mean such freedoms would apply for the entire game. They do not - and the fact that matches last on average 20mins tops (a great thing, in my book), means you only have a certain window of allowable errors before everything starts sliding.
13-08-2015, 19:19   #93
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
Interesting chart depicting the games getting longer as the mechanics increase
16-08-2015, 23:35   #94
Stormhawk88

If anybody wants to team up let me know BNet tag is Nerobear #2862
24-08-2015, 11:18   #95
RopeDrink
Gregarious Gamer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
Interesting chart depicting the games getting longer as the mechanics increase
Interesting indeed - certainly had a few 'longer' games lately. Normally it was just GoT or TosQ that were offenders. They're also giving out on the forums that most of the old cast already pale in comparison to new ones. Kinda sad how I have to try to justify my Diablo pick to ignorant people these days.

Hero League placement matches half done - what a mess
Advertisement
28-08-2015, 15:27   #96
Stormhawk88

Anybody else getting massive lag for this since yesterday?

I use to get the occasional lag spike but this is just ridiculous. The game is unplayable for me at the moment.
31-08-2015, 00:34   #97
RopeDrink
Gregarious Gamer Geek

To be honest, I get less lag in HotS than I do League. Any time there has been net issues it's been 99% my end, whereas in League I'd often get unexplainable DC's or 'attempting to reconnect' whilst my internet is working perfect.
01-09-2015, 17:32   #98
Stormhawk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeDrink View Post
To be honest, I get less lag in HotS than I do League. Any time there has been net issues it's been 99% my end, whereas in League I'd often get unexplainable DC's or 'attempting to reconnect' whilst my internet is working perfect.
I understand it being maybe the ISP, modem or my PC but the degradation in games was gradual at the start and then just spiked. I've been to the forums and the complaints about latency and connection errors are staggering and Blizzards reply was "well we're not seeing any latency issues on our side". The amount of complaints was pretty staggering with a forum wide cull on lag threads.
02-09-2015, 23:55   #99
RopeDrink
Gregarious Gamer Geek

Naturally I can't speak for them, just myself. As a WoW, DIII and HotS player, the only lag I've had from Blizz lately has been DIII funnily enough - mostly in an out-of-sync kinda way (ironic seeing as PoE recently resolved theirs and it's as if it shifted over to DIII).

Anyhow, that's just me

If the lag gets you down, be sure to check this channel for fun and hilarity - just watched all the fun/wtf moment videos back to back, some of them had me dying

Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-09-2015, 00:37   #100
Stormhawk88

That was brilliant I must go watch the rest of them now
01-10-2015, 01:59   #101
RopeDrink
Gregarious Gamer Geek

Looking forward to the Starcraft Support (Lt.Morales). Bring out the Medivac! Warriors getting some love - and certain people (heya Zeratul) getting nerfs. Buffs to Tassadar but they nerf his 'Archon' - makes absolutely no sense.

Anyhow, if you haven't already, be sure to check the PTR notes
02-10-2015, 13:05   #102
Pyjamarama

European champs on atm. Dignitas vs Liquid. Looking forward to this one...
05-10-2015, 08:03   #103
Nody
Servant of Cthulhu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjamarama View Post
European champs on atm. Dignitas vs Liquid. Looking forward to this one...
That third game in final between Spoiler: Dignitas and Navi is every definition of epic (look at those Spoiler: Navi picks!)
24-04-2016, 22:27   #104
billian

Is there much of an Irish HotS community any more? I just started playing about two weeks ago and I'm very much enjoying it!
27-04-2016, 20:23   #105
RopeDrink
Gregarious Gamer Geek

I'm sure people are still knocking about but given HotS is a bit late to the MOBA party, don't be shocked if checking here for groups usually escapes people's minds - they're probably off playing League, with small doses of HotS.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion