Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mama classes

Options
  • 14-03-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys

I currently have a fitness studio in dublin and looking to set up a mma class/club

Currently have a martial art back ground and boxing background myself but looking for someone to come in and do this full time and establish a club of some sort for all ages etc.

Any advise would be great full and if any one is interested please get in touch

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Give Conor a ring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You have a fitness studio and you want to start an mma class :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Coincidence that this post turns up not 30mins after Conor's programme airs.

Do you have the right gear and insurances?? If not leave it to the pro's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

scudzilla wrote: »
    You have a fitness studio and you want to start an mma class :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I see where you're coming from and it's important to point out the gear/insurance points but to be fair, no need for the sarcastic reply.

Everyone has to start somewhere. So what if the OP has a fitness studio and so what if the documentary is just over? People grab inspiration from other people's stories, especially success stories. I can see how someone might get a kick up the arse from just watching the documentary.

The OP never said they were going to train people, just that they were interested in establishing a club. Which I only see as a good thing for Irish MMA as long as it's done right.

Every pro starts as an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

scudzilla wrote: »

Expect a lot of this. You will be sneered at if some tool who learned a few moves of youtube starts taking ''mma classes'', but equally praised if you get a grappling coach whos been knocking around the Irish scene for a few years.

I would try to get a couple of guys known for competing in their fields to take the classes. I think the days of one guy doing all the classes are gone. Nothing worse in 2014 than a grappler teaching muay thai or a kick boxer teaching bjj. Definately get somebody with a few pro mma fights behind them to take mma. There are a lot of people who have put years in and never made a penny who would be happy to earn a few quid teaching now.

You might actually get some names of people who maybe interested if you contact some of the well know clubs. They wont see you as competition and might be happy for one of their long time students to get a reward of a job for all the hours they have trained.

Where is studio? I would not bother opening up near an established club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 deise69

Stillweak wrote: »
    Expect a lot of this. You will be sneered at if some tool who learned a few moves of youtube starts taking ''mma classes'', but equally praised if you get a grappling coach whos been knocking around the Irish scene for a few years.

I would try to get a couple of guys known for competing in their fields to take the classes. I think the days of one guy doing all the classes are gone. Nothing worse in 2014 than a grappler teaching muay thai or a kick boxer teaching bjj. Definately get somebody with a few pro mma fights behind them to take mma. There are a lot of people who have put years in and never made a penny who would be happy to earn a few quid teaching now.

You might actually get some names of people who maybe interested if you contact some of the well know clubs. They wont see you as competition and might be happy for one of their long time students to get a reward of a job for all the hours they have trained.

Where is studio? I would not bother opening up near an established club.

Good suggestion. No harm in asking some of the bigger clubs if they would be interested in a mutually beneficial arrangement. You bring an established business, customers and a premises to the table and as long as the gyms are far enough apart, there's no direct competition. Maybe they might be interested in making you an affiliate ?

Either way, best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement