Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Cage-fighter jailed over £53m Kent Securitas raid"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

How does being a "cage-fighter" in any way contribute to the story:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Well, Murray was/is a pretty high profile mixed martial artist. It would be the same is a footballer did it. He was a talented young man, got schooled by Anderson Silva though, but sure, who doesn't :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

The infamous Lee Murray who floored Tito Ortiz in an alley way outside a London nightclub after UFC35 Brawl at the Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Well, Murray was/is a pretty high profile mixed martial artist. It would be the same is a footballer did it. He was a talented young man, got schooled by Anderson Silva though, but sure, who doesn't :-p
    He didnt get ''schooled''. He knocked out Andersons team mate 'pele' and it was still to this day this only fight ive seen Anderson shoot in for the takedown, Anderson was never close to finishing Murray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Odats wrote: »
    The infamous Lee Murray who floored Tito Ortiz in an alley way outside a London nightclub after UFC35 Brawl at the Hall.

Ah ok,I didn't know it was him that the story was about.I just assumed it was yet another "cage-fighter" tirade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

kid chaos wrote: »
    He didnt get ''schooled''. He knocked out Andersons team mate 'pele' and it was still to this day this only fight ive seen Anderson shoot in for the takedown, Anderson was never close to finishing Murray

He was pretty close in the third when Murray was balled up against the cage taking big shots to the head. Murray had nothing for Silva in that fight. He came off well in one exchange and had little of no success other than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fox News Sky news seem happy to show Lee in the cage in their reports so it must be a good thing this cage fighting beast is now locked up behind something stronger than a cage, Lazy journalism at its finest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I must say, this is in no way an attack on "Cage-fighting".

He's a high profile guy in the sport in which he competes. He fought the current World Champ, fought in the UFC and was famous/infamous for an altercation with possibly the most famous Mixed martial Artist of all time.

Lee Hughes went to prison and when that was first reported they mentioned his profession. There's an endless amount of examples of this.

I don't see the problem in saying he is a "Cage-Fighter" (except for the fact i'd have prefered Mixed Martial Artist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'd agree with the general sentiment so far. This chap was actually a 'Cage-fighter' by profession and was notable for it. The maniac who ripped some dues heart out (I never actually read beyond the headline) had only one MMA fight (that's recorded) and was not famous, notable or proffesional wrt MMA/cage fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I would say he is a criminal, or armed robber by trade, as opposed to a cage fighter. It what he is most noted for, and what he has received the most money for ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think he has/had a major input into the gym that John Hathaway uses, i know Hathaway gave him a mention this weekend.

Hathaway us a great young prospect and really needs to be steering clear of all that gangster bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

In this case its a fair discussion as the crinimal is actually a high profile MMA fighter, if a pro footballer done the same the Football would be mentioned too, The fact is there is scumbags in alkl walks of life-from Governments right down to Priests and even people who fight in cages!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Odats wrote: »

Think he should have packed it in there :D

Time Inc. to produce in-house films

....... The company has identified its first project, optioning the April 14 Sports Illustrated article "Breaking the Bank." Written by L. Jon Wertheim, the feature covers the alleged criminal exploits of Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor "Lightning" Lee Murray, who is suspected of masterminding the largest cash heist in history in 2006.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Do you guys really think they used "cage fighter" in the headline because that's his career? Come on, it's obvious they only used it because of the public perception that cage fighters are animals. This most definitely is not on a par with saying "Footballer jailed over £53m Kent Securitas raid".

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Do you guys really think they used "cage fighter" in the headline because that's his career? Come on, it's obvious they only used it because of the public perception that cage fighters are animals. This most definitely is not on a par with saying "Footballer jailed over £53m Kent Securitas raid".

Seems a bit over sensitive in fairness. I don't see the difference, the fact that "public perception [is] that cage fighters are animals" is unrelated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Seems a bit over sensitive in fairness. I don't see the difference, the fact that "public perception [is] that cage fighters are animals" is unrelated.

But it makes the story extra juicy. Look at what one of those animals did!

AARRRGH wrote: »
    But it makes the story extra juicy. Look at what one of those animals did!

That's how you'd percieve it.

It's not the fact that the press reporting this adds to the bad rep of "Cage-Fighters", it's the fact that a "Cage-Fighter" commited this crime!

Advertisement