Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Wait are we complaining that we have a former world player if the year in the most pivotal position on the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wait are we complaining that we have a former world player if the year in the most pivotal position on the field?

....... no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

....... no?
    Sorry wrong thread, someone was complaining that he is made of glass

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clegg wrote: »
    He loves a bit of the rough does James.

Being serious though, there's no back three player in Ireland with Lowe's offloading ability. He threw an outrageous one just yesterday against Edinburgh. He's also an excellent line runner and because of his size he always makes those few extra metres in traffic. There's a place for him in the squad if he wants it.

Can’t wait to see Luke Fitzgerald’s head explode if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Blackheath

Clegg wrote: »
    Maybe Thornbury and Blade will get capped. We've a need for more quality locks and scrum halves. But I don't see Tom Farrell getting a look in tbh. Ringrose is miles better and the other Farrell has done a decent job when given the opportunity.

Who will be the next capped in each position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I’m not against project players or anything but I feel they have to be better than current options and don’t really see JGP as much better than Marmion, blade, cooney or McGrath. You’d nearly just be capping him for the sake of making sure he doesn’t leave.

Lowry and Eric o Sullivan based on last season would be up there too. Ronan kelleher could be a real bolter too if he keeps up his form.

I don't agree. I think JGP has the potential to surpass all of them, particularly by offering something different. He's been on great form in the early rounds of the Pro14 and I think the whole 3 NIQs issue from the last couple of seasons has possibly held him back a bit with rotation amongst those players. I think we'll see JGP get more game time this year, in a more consistent way and I think he has the potential to crack on. I'd expect to see him get an Irish call up in the 12 months following the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Sorry wrong thread, someone was complaining that he is made of glass

Given injury rate for out halves in general, far from being made of glass,, I think Sexton has a surprising ability to get onto the pitch, in particular for big games.

Because he is so crucial to us, every niggle or rumour is talked about at length, but I think his record of getting games is actually fine (definitely no worse than average)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ireland have flown in solicitor to represent Bundee Aki at Monday’s hearing Murray Kinsey’s reports. Doubt it will do much good but worth a go I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Blackheath wrote: »

Lhp: no clear standout, Eric O’Sullivan maybe
    Hooker: Ronan Kelleher
    Thp: no clear standout for me
    Lock: any of Thornbury, Molony, or Wycherly, with loads more talent breathing down their necks
    Back row: whichever of Deegan or Doris starts the European games for Leinster
    Scrum half: Blade or JGP
    Out half: can’t see any new outhalves being capped for a while, if there was an injury crisis you’d imagine Billy Burns would be next up
    Centre: hard to call, loads of talent around but it depends who can nail down game time at provincial level
    Wing: Baloucoune and Lyttle would both be candidates for me
    Fullback: probably Haley by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For all the Connacht nominations, they are in Heineken Cup this season and let see how they perform before talking about capping them.

I think everyone can agree Carty has struggled with the step up to international level and we want all our internationals playing heneiken rugby regular....great for Connacht as well....please note before everyone goes off on one not having a go at Carty

Players I think, JGP might jump everyone. I don’t think Marmion is up to it, are they better concentrating on blade?

Also Balacoune from Ulster should be brought in, wing options of Stockdale, Balacoune and Lowe will be competitive.

Larmour is the replacement 15 but yet to see who his back up will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    For all the Connacht nominations, they are in Heineken Cup this season and let see how they perform before talking about capping them.

I think everyone can agree Carty has struggled with the step up to international level and we want all our internationals playing heneiken rugby regular....great for Connacht as well....please note before everyone goes off on one not having a go at Carty

Players I think, JGP might jump everyone. I don’t think Marmion is up to it, are they better concentrating on blade?

Also Balacoune from Ulster should be brought in, wing options of Stockdale, Balacoune and Lowe will be competitive.

Conway I'd imagine will be his back up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Marmion a guy who’s started in wins again the all blacks and England not up to it, yeah okay.

Blackheath wrote: »

1. O’Sullivan
    2. Kelleher
    3. Knox
    4. Wycherley
    5. Thornbury
    6. Deegan
    7. Boyle
    8. Doris
    9. Blade
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Shane Daly
    12. Goggin
    13. Farrell
    14. Balacoune
    15. Stephan Fitzgerald

16. DTM
    17. Milne
    18. O’Toole
    19. Baird
    20. Penny
    21. Casey
    22. C. Fitzgerald/ Lowry
    23. Keenan/ Turner / Lyttle

Most of these might get one or two caps, particularly from 11-15. I’m sure I’m missing some obvious uncapped players too. Knox is one I haven’t seen but has a bit of hype and could see him getting capped to “claim him”.

I’d also like to say I’m really looking forward to the potential battle at hooker between kelleher, DTM and potentially McElroy it he breaks back into the provincial set up. For years best was the only decent option but there could be huge depth coming through in a couple of years.

Marmion a guy who’s started in wins again the all blacks and England not up to it, yeah okay.

And champions cup standard is important so Gibson Park, with a total of one champions cup start to his name, will go ahead of him. Sound logic.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    And champions cup standard is important so Gibson Park, with a total of one champions cup start to his name, will go ahead of him. Sound logic.

Think people forget Connacht and marmion/carty have played and won in the champions cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Gibbo is limited. I can't see him being much of a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Depends what the question is.

If we're talking successor to Murray as first-choice in two or three years, then I don't think either McGrath or Marmion is up to it. Both are more than capable but not really what we need IMO.

I think our next long term solutions at hooker, scrum half and maybe out half are yet to be capped.

If we're talking successor to Murray as first-choice in two or three years, then I don't think either McGrath or Marmion is up to it. Both are more than capable but not really what we need IMO.

I think our next long term solutions at hooker, scrum half and maybe out half are yet to be capped.

When Murray and Sexton are phased out the game plan will have to change. They’re both genuine world class players and not many players will ever reach their levels. Think Casey is probably the one long term at 9 but with a change in game plan I can see no reason why marmion, cooney or blade couldn’t be test standard starters but probably not world class

What a shock to see Stephen Jones of the Sunday Times fabricating stuff again.

His claim, aside from being baseless, is idiotic too, why on earth would irfu not want everything possible done for Scotland Japan to go ahead? There’s only upside from an Irish perspective

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/10/13/irfu-statement-re-false-claims-made-by-sunday-times/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

What a shock to see Stephen Jones of the Sunday Times fabricating stuff again.

His claim, aside from being baseless, is idiotic too, why on earth would irfu not want everything possible done for Scotland Japan to go ahead? There’s only upside from an Irish perspective

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/10/13/irfu-statement-re-false-claims-made-by-sunday-times/

It’s joes big ruse. We really want the All Blacks and have been fooling everyone

• Advertisement

I agree, I think we need someone to step up, McGrath has done ok at WC but not lighting it up....maybe blade? Maybe O’Sullivan or maybe Cronin isanswer?

Think people forget Connacht and marmion/carty have played and won in the champions cup

I said play regular, they need to be in it every season

As Connacht fans I would think you would want the same

Also JGP hasn’t got many chance in Europe because of the rules so Fardy and Lowe couldn’t start....let’s see this season

When we had no other option, where we had options he hasn’t been picked.....not travelling to WC would suggest Joe and Farrell see better options

They had Luke McGrath who has been ahead of Gibson Park for three years now sitting on the bench......

Not traveling to World Cup suggests McGrath got ahead of Marmion for some reason. It’s the first time in three years he has. He might stay ahead under Farrell, he might not. Fair leap to Gibson-Park getting ahead of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I agree, I think we need someone to step up, McGrath has done ok at WC but not lighting it up....maybe blade? Maybe O’Sullivan or maybe Cronin isanswer?

The two players I would see huge potential in are Craig Casey And Caolin Blade.
    Both diminutive but aggressive and fiery.

They had Luke McGrath who has been ahead of Gibson Park for three years now sitting on the bench......

Not traveling to World Cup suggests McGrath got ahead of Marmion for some reason. It’s the first time in three years he has. He might stay ahead under Farrell, he might not. Fair leap to Gibson-Park getting ahead of either.

I don’t think JGP is long term option, as I posted above we need a young player to step up....whichever province it’s from.....

The two players I would see huge potential in are Craig Casey And Caolin Blade.
    Both diminutive but aggressive and fiery.

Forgot about Casey, if he get any chances at Munster?

9 isn’t an immediate issue anyway. Murray is 30, form permitting, he’s likely to be first choice for at least the next two seasons.

When we had no other option, where we had options he hasn’t been picked.....not travelling to WC would suggest Joe and Farrell see better options

That’s bull, marmion has been on the bench when e er fit this cycle. It was a real shock to most that he was left at home and if it wasn’t for toner being left home the media would have made a bigger deal. Reasons for McGrath being picked we’re hes a better defender and he has a better kicking game, the more pragmatic aspects of Schmidt’s game plan. If the values and styles of the game plan were more expansive or entertaining marmion would have got the nod

9 isn’t an immediate issue anyway. Murray is 30, form permitting, he’s likely to be first choice for at least the next two seasons.

I doubt he will make another WC so they need to pick 2 young 9s now and start building them up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That’s bull, marmion has been on the bench when e er fit this cycle. It was a real shock to most that he was left at home and if it wasn’t for toner being left home the media would have made a bigger deal. Reasons for McGrath being picked we’re hes a better defender and he has a better kicking game, the more pragmatic aspects of Schmidt’s game plan. If the values and styles of the game plan were more expansive or entertaining marmion would have got the nod

No, Joe Schmidt gave a very specific reason, he said they were equal in defence and attack but McGrath has a slightly better kicking game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement