Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dub to LAX for €298 rtn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Good price and availability but flights appear to be via LHR.

I'd pay an extra €200 to avoid LHR and pre clear in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yep Heathrow is a bitch but for the price it's a no brainer, it's a direct flight from London which is some consolation.

Savman wrote: »
    Yep Heathrow is a bitch but for the price it's a no brainer, it's a direct flight from London which is some consolation.
    Very true, don't mean to take away from the bargain as it is a really good one.

Good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Why is that? Just curious as i booked flights myself and will flying from Heathrow.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Why is that? Just curious as i booked flights myself and will flying from Heathrow.
    The main disadvantage is the need to clear immigration in the USA when you land. Then you've the queues in Heathrow, the added security and the need to change terminals. If money > time then Heathrow is your man.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The main disadvantage is the need to clear immigration in the USA when you land. Then you've the queues in Heathrow, the added security and the need to change terminals. If money > time then Heathrow is your man.

Aaaaghhhhhhh and i am flying on my own, i was nervous enough as it was already :(

It's only an issue if you're super fussy :pac:

BTW there's no terminal change in Heathrow as bmi and United are both in Terminal 1, bags will be checked all the way thru to LAX too as it's a codeshare flight. I just did this exact trip with these airlines so speaking from first hand experience.

It's only an issue if you're super fussy :pac:

BTW there's no terminal change in Heathrow as bmi and United are both in Terminal 1, bags will be checked all the way thru to LAX too as it's a codeshare flight. I just did this exact trip with these airlines so speaking from first hand experience.

I wont have time to fuss, as long i get to LAX i couldnt care. I'm flying with Virgin to LA so hopefully they are in terminal 1? I have plenty of time as it is, enough to have a drink or some.

Aaaaghhhhhhh and i am flying on my own, i was nervous enough as it was already :(
    Ah you should be fine, I'm probably over exaggerating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I wont have time to fuss, as long i get to LAX i couldnt care. I'm flying with Virgin to LA so hopefully they are in terminal 1? I have plenty of time as it is, enough to have a drink or some.

Nope. terminal 3!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

that is one hell of a serious price. Really tempted.

Whats the weather like there at that time of year

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Nope. terminal 3!!!!

hopefully i still have time but will see on the day ;). I paid double for the OP posted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Wow , that's super cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

AdrianII wrote: »

It gets anything but hot in la?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Just a note of caution, the site says flights are from Oct 2010 to March 2011.

RonanC wrote: »
    Just a note of caution, the site says flights are from Oct 2010 to March 2011.
    Just a typo, no flight lets you book that far in advance.

Anyway ebookers lets you book from now up until March 2010. try it on for size.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

I'd pay an extra €200 to avoid LHR and pre clear in Dublin.

Don't every assume that your flight to the US from Dublin will clear immigration in Dublin!

American Airlines do not pre-clear in Dublin (I end up flying to Chicago on them every six weeks or so) - and my last Delta flight didn't either

Oh, and don't forget to fill in your ESTA forms online before flying (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/) or you'll go nowhere!

davork wrote: »
    Don't every assume that your flight to the US from Dublin will clear immigration in Dublin!

American Airlines do not pre-clear in Dublin (I end up flying to Chicago on them every six weeks or so) - and my last Delta flight didn't either

Oh, and don't forget to fill in your ESTA forms online before flying (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/) or you'll go nowhere!
    Well aware that all flights don't pre clear in DUB, I wouldn't buy a flight to the USA that doesn't pre clear. It's quite easy to know which ones do and don't pre clear.

I wouldn't buy a flight to the USA that doesn't pre clear.
    Odd stance considering it very much limits your choice. :confused:

But if you really are willing to pay 'an extra €200' for the luxury then you go right ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Does anyone have example dates for that price. Its over 500 when you go to book

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    First one I checked, 21/1 to 28/1.

Odd stance considering it very much limits your choice. :confused:
    I only ever travel to the same destinations on business and it suits me

rom wrote: »
    Worked fine for me for most weekdays in March. Try sticking to Mon/Tue/Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

AdrianII wrote: »

I was there in early November a few years back. It was warmish, definitely not beach weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Aghh guys, now you've got me thinking about going to LA again in March! Was just there in July but hard to resist at that price. Anyone any opinions on what United are like? I flew Virgin Atlantic the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Aghh guys, now you've got me thinking about going to LA again in March! Was just there in July but hard to resist at that price. Anyone any opinions on what United are like? I flew Virgin Atlantic the last time.

Sorry for going OT but whats LA like? Is accomadation expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Poochie05

kazzer wrote: »
    Sorry for going OT but whats LA like? Is accomadation expensive?
    Yes accommodation is expensive enough but if you book through the usual hotel booking sites you can get some good rates. LA seems to divide people. I loved it but I spent 6 days in West Hollywood and another 3 in Santa Monica so think I had lots of time to soak up the atmosphere. Check out North America in the Travel forum, there's quite a few threads on California & LA specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Stellin

Flights to San Francisco for about the same too. What's the likelihood of this offer being extended into May, i.e. when I actually want to go?!

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Anyone any opinions on what United are like?
    Just flew LHR-LAX with them on this route (same flight numbers) and in all honesty United are pretty lame, we said we would not use them again but at this price I think we could swallow our pride :o

The meals were meh, very badly timed considering its an 11hr long haul flight so I'd defo recommend bringing your own sambos and M&M's for the long bit in the middle...

• Advertisement
Advertisement