Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's mad. So a 32 inch widescreen at 4:3 is only really giving you a 27 inch 4:3 picture?

So you have all the RGB BNC cables (and the Sync cable) going into the correct BNC inputs?

Have you got RGB selected correctly as the input? You need to have Ex Sync pressed too. (that might be on the pull out drawer)

cant find the manual online its a bvm2015p

Here's a pick of the back looks like no audio

pic is over 4meg ffs

anyone got a link or photo of the bnc set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Upload it here and then post a link

https://imgbb.com/

If you can upload a picture of the drawer buttons and pots that would help too.

Did you press the External Sync button?

Here's where it is on my 2016p

sync.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hard to see from the pics but it doesn't look like any of inputs are RGB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

2nd bank of inputs look like they might be rgb but very hard tell from any off the pics

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    2nd bank of inputs look like they might be rgb but very hard tell from any off the pics

Yeah the back is the exact same as mine, that's an RGB input board in the middle.

Safetyboy - are you connecting the RGB cables up to the middle board?

There's a sync BNC input that you also have to connect on the back.

The picture looks good and synched though. I've a feeling it's to do with the actual button configuration on the drawer. (Might not have RGB and sync selected)

cheers will try later so I use the middle row of connectors

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yep that's right. The first row are all composite only, not RGB.

The composite board in that monitor doesn't support NTSC 60hz signals (you need to buy a separate board for that) - only PAL 50hz.

If you send an NTSC 60hz Japanese signal to a PAL 50hz only input board like you are doing, you'll get black and white. So that explains what you are seeing.

Connect the RGB cables up to the middle board. You'll see the letters R, G & B beside each BNC connector.

There are two connectors per RGB colour. Use the top one for each. (The bottom one sends video out so you can loop it on to another monitor)

Then make sure the Sync cable is also connected to the Sync BNC input. (Fairly sure that's on the first composite board and you already have it plugged in)

Once you have all of that connected, make sure to press the RGB button on the pull out drawer (it's under the 'INPUT SELECT' bank of switches on the top right of the drawer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

thank god for o1s1n explaining that as my attempt would have been a gibberish mess !

Master of the Universe

Took a few attempts to write that out without it sounding like gibberish :D

It's annoying that some earlier professional monitors don't support both NTSC and PAL signals over composite. The later ones do.

Although it's probably for the best in this case, as if it did then it would have given a colour picture and Safetyboy would have been accidentally using composite forever. :eek:

Here's the manual for the BVM 2016P which I have. Looking at yours, they're almost identical, just have different controls on the pull out board.

https://cdn.retrorgb.com/assets/monitormanual/Sony_BVM_1916_and_BVM_2016P.pdf

Safetyboy would have been accidentally using composite forever. :eek:
    [/url]

Like the lad on reddit that had his monitor plugged into his mobo instead of his gfx card for 3 years and couldn't figure out why his pc was **** :D

Master of the Universe

Like the lad on reddit that had his monitor plugged into his mobo instead of his gfx card for 3 years and couldn't figure out why his pc was **** :D

Did that seriously happen? Hahaha ah jaysus!

I got a manual last night its 260 pages happy days. :) all i want to play is some saturn and PC engine that have been lying there for about 5 years :) the genesis too, I'll leave the nintendo in hiding to save clutter, I'll play Ico on Ps2 also.

its going in the bin unless fixed in 1 day

Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    its going in the bin unless fixed in 1 day

Did you do what I said in the above post?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't bin it, stick it in the Marketplace!

yes Oish its working like a charm. I'll deal with the sound later.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    yes Oish its working like a charm. I'll deal with the sound later.

Result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

For years I've been running a big 29" silver flat screen Sony Trintron CRT but this weekend I took out a nice B&O BeoVision 1 (BV1) from storage to give a it a go. It's smaller at 26" but it looks very unique on a motorised stand with a curved tinted glass in front of the tube. A lot nicer looking than the 00's style silver Trinitron. Art Deco?

503614.jpg

My first impressions running were WOW this thing looks slick. There is something about the Trintron that makes me feel like I can notice screen refreshing but this BV1 is so smooth almost like it's 100Hz or higher resolution but it's not. Maybe the smaller screen is the reason?

The sound quality is super too.

But then I noticed the image was shifted to the left a little. Hard to see on some games but more obvious on others.
    503615.jpg

503616.jpg

I searched the net for a while and eventually found a guide that showed the service menu key combination (0 0 GO). It turns out this thing has more geometry options than most arcade monitors :eek:

503617.jpg

I'm not sure what to do now with the 29" Sony beast because after a couple of hours of multi player chu chu rocket I have to say this is going to be the new main CRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Speaking of ratios...

Picked up a Dell 2001FP LCD monitor on Adverts (he's got a second one for sale as well), its a 20" 4:3 but supports 15KHz and 31KHz inputs.
    Primarily got it for use with my Amiga and Archimedes computers as they do switch between 15K and 31K depending on what resolution and screen mode you're in. But it should work with consoles as well, interesting to see how it scales 240p input..

Thanks for the tip on this. I tested one out and it handles composite and svideo 15k fine but rgb over a vga cable says "signal not compatible". I'm using the vga out port on a gscart switch. Do you know if it takes 15khz rgb? Not much info online about this monitor.

Thanks for the tip on this. I tested one out and it handles composite and svideo 15k fine but rgb over a vga cable says "signal not compatible". I'm using the vga out port on a gscart switch. Do you know if it takes 15khz rgb? Not much info online about this monitor.

Check the mfg date on it, anything up to June 2005 should support 15KHz, after that Dell used a different pcb supplier and 15KHz was dropped.

Master of the Universe

For years I've been running a big 29" silver flat screen Sony Trintron CRT but this weekend I took out a nice B&O BeoVision 1 (BV1) from storage to give a it a go. It's smaller at 26" but it looks very unique on a motorised stand with a curved tinted glass in front of the tube. A lot nicer looking than the 00's style silver Trinitron. Art Deco?

My first impressions running were WOW this thing looks slick. There is something about the Trintron that makes me feel like I can notice screen refreshing but this BV1 is so smooth almost like it's 100Hz or higher resolution but it's not. Maybe the smaller screen is the reason?

The sound quality is super too.

But then I noticed the image was shifted to the left a little. Hard to see on some games but more obvious on others.

I searched the net for a while and eventually found a guide that showed the service menu key combination (0 0 GO). It turns out this thing has more geometry options than most arcade monitors :eek:

I'm not sure what to do now with the 29" Sony beast because after a couple of hours of multi player chu chu rocket I have to say this is going to be the new main CRT.

Gorgeous! I always used wanted to try and give one of them a go. They look super classy.

They use a shadow mask rather than Trinitron aperture grille which will make the scanlines look far smaller. That with the smaller screen size might make it look a bit higher res alright, especially if it's not what you're used to seeing.

That RGB picture shift is annoying isn't it? Had happened on every commercial set I've ever had. Have to be carful adjusting it as some consoles shift over further than others so you've to find a sweet spot for them all.

That RGB picture shift is annoying isn't it? Had happened on every commercial set I've ever had. Have to be carful adjusting it as some consoles shift over further than others so you've to find a sweet spot for them all.

Usually caused by the Sync signal being delayed compared to the RGB signals, either on the Sync generation on the console or on the TV side if it has to be pulled from the composite video.
    Annoying alright, particularly if there is no easy way to adjust this on the TV, must investigate a bit more and see if its 'fixable', might be possible to buffer the RGB signals to get the timing right.

Master of the Universe

Usually caused by the Sync signal being delayed compared to the RGB signals, either on the Sync generation on the console or on the TV side if it has to be pulled from the composite video.
    Annoying alright, particularly if there is no easy way to adjust this on the TV, must investigate a bit more and see if its 'fixable', might be possible to buffer the RGB signals to get the timing right.

Did a bit of googling as I didn't realise that's what the cause was. Apparently you can actually add a 10k pot to the sync line and use that to shift the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Did anyone get the rest of the PVMs so lads?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It all went a bit quiet...

• Advertisement

MIne just stopped working at the weekend booted up the PC engine and then the screen went blank, tried the saturn too but no joy :(

Advertisement