Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best and worst Irish websites?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

I haven't used it in a year or so, but I remember the Bus Eireann website being absolutely bloody horrific.

Let's say I wanted to go from Town A to Town B, and I knew that such a bus existed, although I didn't know specifically where in the town the bus stops were.

You'd go onto the website to find that information, and it would ask you to input, from a big big list, the EXACT stop in town A and the EXACT stop in town B that you wanted a bus to and from.

So you'd make your best guess.... ehhh... Main Street to Main Street? Nope, no such bus exists apparently. Oh alright then, uh... Main Street to Opposite the Fire Station? Nope, guess again.

And you'd have to find the EXACT combination before it would even think of showing you a timetable. F*ckers. Telling me the location of the bus stops in the town is YOUR job! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

rte sport is a horrific website.

Theyre still waiting on the results of the 1982 world cup

Ye, I thought that too. See you're supposed to download the RTÉ News app.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Just came across this.

Vote for best is SevereMMA. Small group of lads cover all the Irish MMA Scene, very insightful and on the ball.

Worst is Joe.ie, same gripe as everyone else, used to read all their stuff up until about a year ago when they turned their model into that click baiting ****e. Stuff that was on The Lad Bible rehashed and claimed to be original. Also their founder claiming to have grown their sites by the quality of their content is an insult. Had nothing to do with all the like and share giveaways of PS4's I am sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

rte sport is a horrific website.

Awful awful awful.

Me: "I wonder what the latest score in that big Gaaaah game is?" *Pootles over to the RTÉ Sport website*

RTÉ Sport website "Why the FÚCK would we give you that information?"

most overrated: WWN. the headlines can sometimes be worth a chuckle but the satire itself is very weak. think the guy who runs it is pretty clever in an opportunistic sense though

Yeah, the headlines are frequently gold, but the accompanying articles are never that well written and just lack bite. Like they can't seem capitalise on the soundbite headline.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Looks to me like an entry well overdue for an edit, or two.

Yeah, look at what it's been flagged for: "The neutrality of this article is disputed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Yeah, look at what it's been flagged for: "The neutrality of this article is disputed"

ERROR 404

Reality not found. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Paddypowers website is terrible. Its hard to use, and doesn't look great.

As others have sai Joe.ie is such clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I find the WWN writer often seems to have had 2 or 3 ideas for an article and tries to use them all in a piece. The result is a poorly written mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I hate the Vodafone website so much, it seems to do nothing but generate annoying error messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Dublin Bus is just as unintuitive as it's timetables.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I hate the Vodafone website so much, it seems to do nothing but generate annoying error messages.

O2 used to be the same. Shockin' bad.

circadian wrote: »
    Dublin Bus is just as unintuitive as it's timetables.

I dunno, I quite like their site. Easy to navigate and has lots of useful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Best.

Daft.ie very easy to find what you are looking for.

Worst.
    Joe.ie, same points as everyone else has made, and the worst of all Lovin Dublin. 23333661 ways you know your from Dublin. The article about your man stalking that woman on the bus was just short of demented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    Somewhere in the middle:

Boards.ie

Reddit Ireland.

INB4 ban.

Anyway, what's up with Waterford Whispers? It stinks of trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any cinema site. What's wrong with Movie>Time>Pay>Done?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Best
    - educationposts.ie
    I like to chit chat about school stuff anonymously- good virtual staffroom.

Worst- there's a few....
    - three.ie - disgracefully keeps crashing and going to error404

-AIB.ie - why did they change the layout on it again last August, it was fine as it was!

- mydealpage.ie- picture the use to lure you in to click on a deal somewhat misleading- I don't use it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

(dis)honourable regional mention - DonegalDaily

Its like a transition year project where they tried to outjournal thejournal as well as just making stuff up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Best: Supervalu for grocery shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Seems Joe.ie got finalised at the web awards for best web only daily publication. Handing out awards for click baiting and copy & paste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

retalivity wrote: »
    (dis)honourable regional mention - DonegalDaily

Its like a transition year project where they tried to outjournal thejournal as well as just making stuff up

Yes this! It's as good a source of information as your mam coming in and going "wait til I tell you who's dead, you know your man up the road, no I don't know his name either, beardy fella"
    Donegal Dollop is great though.

For all the mentions of Joe.ie, Her.ie is worse. "You HAVE to see the shoes Kim Kardashian wore out for coffee!" That's great thanks.

Beaut.ie used to be really good, they would have good makeup reviews, tutorials, high street picks, etc, the kind of stuff you'd expect from a beauty site. Then they went bust and got bought by Entertainment.ie, and now they throw up any old shíte in an article just to fill the site with more content and get the clicks. They had a post with optical illusions pictures a while back. Why?!

The horrendously misnamed theliberal.ie has to be among the worst. It's basically a socially conservative rip-off of The Journal run by dinosaurs. Have heard rumours that the competitions they run are all fake.

The Journal gets a lot of bad press but I don't mind it so much. Some of the editing can be a bit sloppy but I like the site layout and the idea behind it. The Daily Edge section often makes for good light-reading during lunch hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Best..

slang.ie
    waterfordwhispersnews.com

Worst.. (Has to be the one everybody posted)
    joe/her.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Newstalk..can never seem to get any joy from their podcasts..

Irish Rail is a joke..I havent used it in a while..How a tourist would navigate it I never know...as confusing as their PA announcements..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

rodge68 wrote: »
    Newstalk..can never seem to get any joy from their podcasts..

Irish Rail is a joke..I havent used it in a while..How a tourist would navigate it I never know...as confusing as their PA announcements..

same story as with the buses mentioned above.

name your station: no fvcker give me a fvcking list. I dont walk around with a fvcking compendium of random train stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

same story as with the buses mentioned above.

name your station: no fvcker give me a fvcking list. I dont walk around with a fvcking compendium of random train stations.

worst thing about the Irishrail site for me is that I cannot ever seem to spell Heuston Station correctly on the first go. At least Google tells you that you're an idiot and give you the correct spelling. But Irishrail just does nothing until you get it right. It must be infuriating for tourists who wouldn't have a clue of any of the stations. All they want to do is go from Dublin to Cork but to do so they have to know the names of the 1916 Rising volunteers, to the exact letter. If you get it wrong then you can't go anywhere and the website will do absolutely nothing to help you out.

Advertisement