Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2019, 10:37   #106
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBlue View Post
No, it was held prior to the birth of the baby.
The mam-to-be held a party where she announced the name of her impending child via icing on a three tier cake

She had already held parties for the gender reveal and the baby shower, I couldn't afford to bring another gift (knowing she'd also be expecting one after the birth and for the Christening) so I just brought some homemade scones, which she wasn't remotely impressed by.
Most people brought nothing cause they didn't know what to gift someone for announcing the name of their unborn child.

Everyone just told her it was a nice name and left shortly after, nobody hung around for the food or "party" which she was extremely annoyed over...But she did it have it on Easter Sunday so people were busy with their own plans & their families.
It was just weird. Hope I'm never invited to one again.
I'd love to but ... seems to me to be the right response here. If it's a good relationship it'll survive.
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 10:54   #107
Neyite
Giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
Some american lark. Heard of a couple over here but hopefully not catching on
Unfortunately they are. Gender reveal parties are to me just a gift grabbing exercise. Same with bridal or baby showers. You get presents on the actual event, you shouldn't expect more from people before the event as well.

The only baby shower idea that I could ever remotely agree with was one that a boards user mentioned in parenting that she attended. Guests were not allowed bring any other presents except a copy of your favourite childhood book for the child. Expectant mother was a teacher I think. It's a lovely thing sharing your favourite book with someone and them loving it too but introducing a kid to a book that you loved when you were their age and they get that joy that you had is a really lovely feeling.
17-10-2019, 11:38   #108
Bigbagofcans

I don't see any difference between an engagement party and a baby shower. They're both parties before the main event - another excuse to get presents off people.
Thanks from:
18-10-2019, 19:45   #109
bluewolf
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyite View Post
Unfortunately they are. Gender reveal parties are to me just a gift grabbing exercise. Same with bridal or baby showers. You get presents on the actual event, you shouldn't expect more from people before the event as well.

The only baby shower idea that I could ever remotely agree with was one that a boards user mentioned in parenting that she attended. Guests were not allowed bring any other presents except a copy of your favourite childhood book for the child. Expectant mother was a teacher I think. It's a lovely thing sharing your favourite book with someone and them loving it too but introducing a kid to a book that you loved when you were their age and they get that joy that you had is a really lovely feeling.
yeah, they all sound like gift grabbing things.

a name party i would have understood as a sort of non christening alternative - but not prior to the main event!!!
(2) thanks from:
19-10-2019, 10:52   #110
branie2

Best time to reveal the gender is after the birth
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-10-2019, 11:15   #111
Reviews and Books Galore

If gender is a concept they can change the concept later on if it is a biologically driven imperitive.
20-10-2019, 14:44   #112
buckwheat

https://www.clickhole.com/heartwarmi...rth-1831681481
20-10-2019, 15:09   #113
ThunbergsAreGo

If **** like this is something that riles people up the world is in a great place..

Nothing important to worry about
20-10-2019, 15:57   #114
Raconteuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBlue View Post
No, it was held prior to the birth of the baby.
The mam-to-be held a party where she announced the name of her impending child via icing on a three tier cake

She had already held parties for the gender reveal and the baby shower, I couldn't afford to bring another gift (knowing she'd also be expecting one after the birth and for the Christening) so I just brought some homemade scones, which she wasn't remotely impressed by.
Most people brought nothing cause they didn't know what to gift someone for announcing the name of their unborn child.

Everyone just told her it was a nice name and left shortly after, nobody hung around for the food or "party" which she was extremely annoyed over...But she did it have it on Easter Sunday so people were busy with their own plans & their families.
It was just weird. Hope I'm never invited to one again.
Jaysus that's grim.

One event marking the occasion (whether christening or before or after get together) is loads. And people visit independently of that, bringing gifts also.

Some people are astounding in their lack of shame.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-10-2019, 17:12   #115
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
Jaysus that's grim.

One event marking the occasion (whether christening or before or after get together) is loads. And people visit independently of that, bringing gifts also.

Some people are astounding in their lack of shame.
I think it's more ego than lack of shame

By all means have a party, either gender reveal, naming or christening as you prefer, but the screams of someone who just wants the attention.
21-10-2019, 01:48   #116
Potential-Monke

Do what I do and start sending cards like these, you won't get invited to anything!

On topic, if someone invited me to one of these, I wouldn't even respond. Lucky if I go to the christening, not a hope I'd go to anything else. but most people who know me know I don't like kids, so wouldn't invite me anyway. Must be saving a fortune I must!
Thanks from:
21-10-2019, 07:58   #117
Eleysian

The woman who started the gender reveal parties regrets doing so:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e_iOSApp_Other
Thanks from:
29-10-2019, 07:29   #118
pg633

Homemade 'pipe bomb' caused accidental death at gender-reveal party

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...r-reveal-party

Authorities say an Iowa family’s attempt at a gender reveal party went horribly wrong when a homemade device that was meant to discharge coloured powder instead exploded like a pipe bomb, killing a 56-year-old woman.
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 19:19   #119
Fringegirl

A plane that crashed in Texas in September was flying “too slow” as part of a gender reveal Stunt.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gender-rev...85540-Nov2019/
09-11-2019, 19:55   #120
Paddy Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
I don't know why the gender would be such a big deal. Is it so people know what clothes to get them?
They will be wearing hand-me-downs anyway.

#recycle/reuse/cheapbastard
It's not a big deal. It's entirely possible to tell people if you're having a girl or boy without having to have a big party. They do it for attention. I get that having a baby is exciting for the parents, especially if it's the first but it's really not a big deal to everyone else.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion