Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-03-2019, 10:17   #1
Boards.ie: Mark
Boards.ie Employee

Now Ye're Talking - to a Nightclub Bouncer

Our next guest is a nightclub bouncer, also known as a door supervisor. He works in a popular city nightclub outside of Dublin and is here to answer your questions about his job.
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 10:19   #2
B_ecke_r

are you told to let in a certain ratio of females to males?
(4) thanks from:
19-03-2019, 10:21   #4
Berties_Horse

How often do you intervene in a scuffle?
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 10:26   #5
punisher5112

What procedures are in place to stop crushes?

Are you under pressure to allow as much in as possible or even too many to make the business more money.

Do you really check I.D properly?

Do you ever get a few sneaky digs into the thick ones that fight and cause trouble.

What's the worst experience you have had?

Have you ever had to throw patrons out for doing drugs or selling and would you hold for Gardai.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 10:26   #6
I'm a nightclub bouncer, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_ecke_r View Post
are you told to let in a certain ratio of females to males?
Certainly not where I work. Granted, we get mostly students so the ratio would be fairly equal usually.
19-03-2019, 10:30   #7
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
How often do you intervene in a scuffle?
You can be fairly certain heading into work every night that there are going to be scuffles. Usual procedure if you see something about to kick off is to call backup by radio, approach them and calm them down. When help arrives they are held until a superior can speak to them and then they’ll be removed from the premises.

If the fight is already underway you’ll call security and usually what I try to do is pick out the individual who seems to be the biggest threat and get him on the ground.
19-03-2019, 10:32   #8
Cork_exile

How do you deal with over aggressive colleagues?
I remember working in a large Cork City club and one guy used to escalate every situation, where a person would just (say) need to be spoken to would end up with a scuffle and them getting removed.

I ended up requesting a more (logistically) difficult area of the club rather than work the main floor, because of him.
(2) thanks from:
19-03-2019, 10:33   #9
mikemac2

Do you view the Gardai as there to help you for some out of control situations or maybe do you view them as a threat and they will want to prosecute you after a big fight?

Maybe both?
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 10:46   #10
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
What procedures are in place to stop crushes?

Are you under pressure to allow as much in as possible or even too many to make the business more money.

Do you really check I.D properly?

Do you ever get a few sneaky digs into the thick ones that fight and cause trouble.

What's the worst experience you have had?

Have you ever had to throw patrons out for doing drugs or selling and would you hold for Gardai.
1. Security is positioned outside to stagger the queue which is very effective. The importance of this was highlighted by the terrible events in Tyrone.

2. We certainly aren’t under pressure to let as many in as possible. Since our club is so busy we can be easily turn away anybody who we believe to be too intoxicated and still fill the club. We use a clicker to count the amount of people entering and once the max limit is reached the door is closed.

3. Yes we certainly do, although females can be extremely difficult. If we have any doubt at all we’ll ask for a second form of ID which usually does the trick. That being said, of course you’re always going to have the 16 and 17 year olds who managed to get an ID that looks just like them.

4. This is a big no no these days. Sometimes you might love to give somebody a sneaky dig but it’s just not worth losing your security license. If we want to ‘persuade’ them there are plenty of arm locks etc. that are acceptable and certainly aren’t pleasant.

5. Now this is a tough one. I’d say probably the time a refused entry to an individual who was extremely intoxicated and covered in his own vomit. He became threatening and abusive and after about 20 minutes of trying to argue with me, attempted to push past me. I had to grab him and push him back outside, getting covered in his vomit in the process. Not a good night.

6. Standard practice if you catch somebody taking what you believe to be drugs is to remove them for the premises for being ‘intoxicated’. One thing you never do is accuse them of taking drugs. You have absolutely no way of proving the white powder in that bag is anything other than baking powder, and simple possession isn’t an arrestable offense unless it’s enough for sale and supply. On the other hand, if somebody were to be caught say with a bag of what appeared to be ecstasy pills, he would be held for Gardaí as you can be fairly sure that it’s for sale and supply.

Last edited by I'm a nightclub bouncer, AMA; 19-03-2019 at 11:38.
19-03-2019, 10:47   #11
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
Sorry bud. Regulars only.
Sorry lad. Not tonight.
19-03-2019, 10:49   #12
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork_exile View Post
How do you deal with over aggressive colleagues?
I remember working in a large Cork City club and one guy used to escalate every situation, where a person would just (say) need to be spoken to would end up with a scuffle and them getting removed.

I ended up requesting a more (logistically) difficult area of the club rather than work the main floor, because of him.
Thankfully where I work there is very good management who would nip this in the bud very quickly. There are certainly some individuals working in security who are only waiting for the opportunity to grab someone and physically remove them.

I’ve never been in a situation like you where I’ve had to move position though.
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 10:51   #13
B_ecke_r

my niece is 21 now but when she was 17 they the girls were going as far as changing their names on whatsapp/facebook etc to correspond to their fake ID to fool bouncers.

it is a hard job to be fair.

17 year olds can look 30 these days
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 10:54   #14
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac2 View Post
Do you view the Gardai as there to help you for some out of control situations or maybe do you view them as a threat and they will want to prosecute you after a big fight?

Maybe both?
I would certainly view them as an asset. We have a great relationship with the Gardaí who would often chat away to us outside.
That being said, you’re always careful when they’re around, even in the way you might speak to an aggressive individual, as you’d never know how they’d react. A decision you make in a split second could lead to them reporting you to the Private Security Authority.
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 10:58   #15
thomasm

Have you ever had anyone accuse you of discrimination for refusing to allow entry?
Thread Closed