Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2019, 15:36   #1141
Maryanne84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2 View Post
Yes the operative word is 'should'! It's not up to the State to hold everyone's hands in case they hurt themselves.
But, can you imagine the uproar if someone got hurt due to weather conditions? Joe Duffy would have a field day!
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 15:39   #1142
Darwin

@syranbruen, would be very interested to see your table of storms updated with this one (whenever you might get a chance of course).
Thanks from:
27-04-2019, 16:06   #1143
tiegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
using hindsight which has no place in forecasting,
Best quote of the day goes to Graces7 - this applies to most of the comments in the aftermath of "Hannah"
(5) thanks from:
27-04-2019, 16:37   #1144
Storm 10

Just to show how local a wind gust can be yesterday evening looking out the window at a neighbouring tree about 100 feet away it was bent right over during a squall yet my weather station was showing just 20mph, that was in a small area so you can have Red Warning gusts in one part and just a gentle breeze in another.
27-04-2019, 16:42   #1145
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
The Status Yellow warnings are daft and counter productive as the public have trouble differentiating them with more serious events. If you're going to be in any sort of situation where a Yellow warning is relevant to safety i.e. say going out for a spot of inshore fishing in a small boat, well you should be capable of looking up an ordinary forecast and assessing the risk. For most day to day living, they have no impact other than to remind people to bring a raincoat or whatever. Met Eireann should drop these Yellow warnings and just give the forecast.
Correct. I've said it before, a Yellow is not a warning of anything and should therefore be scrapped. Orange and Red are all that's required.

Anyway, here are the satellite-derived mean 10-metre windspeeds for 18:33Z and 20:58Z yesterday, respectively. 50-55 knots out west earlier on, down slightly to around 50 knots in the later scan. The buoy data tally with the latter. An abrupt ending to a fairly quiet period of weather and one th at could have been worse than it turned out.

Attached Images
File Type: png WMBas30.png (39.7 KB, 675 views)
File Type: png WMBas132-1.png (45.7 KB, 668 views)
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 16:44   #1146
SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/sarahleekiely/st...83192788406272
27-04-2019, 17:53   #1147
Snow Garden

Quote:
That's not quite how it works. We live in a country that is increasingly over regulated and it's the inclination of those who have positions of power & influence to try and impose their views. There is social & moral pressure brought to bear on those who prefer to use their own judgements - you'll see and hear them denounced on social & other media and so on.

Whereas we should certainly provide advice but after that let citizens take responsibility for their own actions. E.G. If people are advised not to take a certain road due to snowfall say, well let them decide themselves, but if they get stuck - they should have to extricate themselves by walking out.
Yes I agree with these sentiments.
27-04-2019, 18:09   #1148
Xenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
Correct. I've said it before, a Yellow is not a warning of anything and should therefore be scrapped. Orange and Red are all that's required.
I know I have said it before but with Storm Eleanor Mayo had a yellow wind warning and we ended up with an hour worth of severe gusts that ended up with official stations in Knock recording a gust of 155 km/hr and Newport 139 km/hr, this led to large scale power cuts, flooding and felling of a lot of trees.

The gusts hit at the worst time with people heading home from work, but I am sure that at least some people took heed of the warning and headed home a bit earlier. Yes in the West yellow warnings are as good a pointless as we are so used to these events, but as Eleanor proved at least providing a yellow warning made people aware they might incur inclement conditions and take a bit of extra care.

Yellow to me should not be a warning, but just something to make the general public aware of possible difficult conditions they might face but will not be in any danger.
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2019, 18:16   #1149
RobertKK

I think Met Eireann got it mostly correct.
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 18:49   #1150
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
@syranbruen, would be very interested to see your table of storms updated with this one (whenever you might get a chance of course).
The problem with this one was that there was some false readings recorded at stations including Shannon Airport and Cork Airport at midnight so I can only go off of the current data I have until next month when they update the historical database with April 2019 data. Fortunately, Met Éireann shared Shannon Airport's actual max gust for the event but I do not have the figure for Cork Airport besides the false reading and there might have been other stations that had false readings but unable to find out until next month. Of course next month I'll be posting the maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds for Hannah in comparison with other storms too as usual.

Here's the table anyway regardless of that false reading at Cork Airport (and other possible ones).

Please no more storms for this year, this table is getting too big . Removed Carmen (11 November 2010) from this storm comparison table as whilst it was a fairly windy day especially by 2010 standards, I don't think it really compares with other low pressure systems or storms in terms of the maximum wind gusts.

I added Newport Furnace to the stations list on these tables as requested by a poster.
Attached Images
File Type: png Storm comparison table 3.png (136.4 KB, 12 views)
27-04-2019, 19:11   #1151
Darwin

Brilliant, thanks so much Syran
Thanks from:
27-04-2019, 19:45   #1152
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
The problem with this one was that there was some false readings recorded at stations including Shannon Airport and Cork Airport at midnight so I can only go off of the current data I have until next month when they update the historical database with April 2019 data. Fortunately, Met Éireann shared Shannon Airport's actual max gust for the event but I do not have the figure for Cork Airport besides the false reading and there might have been other stations that had false readings but unable to find out until next month. Of course next month I'll be posting the maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds for Hannah in comparison with other storms too as usual.

Here's the table anyway regardless of that false reading at Cork Airport (and other possible ones).

What were these false readings? Where were they displayed?
27-04-2019, 19:51   #1153
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
What were these false readings? Where were they displayed?
Cork Airport had a max gust of 63 knots around midnight but this was not reported in MÉ's tweet on the highest gusts for Hannah (nor did it match the metars) as well as Shannon Airport's 66 knots for the same timeframe.

Here's the tweet for reference.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/statu...99173476388865

Going by this tweet, Roches Point's 119 km/h would be another false reading.

The yesterday's weather page on met.ie reports those "false readings" however.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/ob...ions/yesterday
Thanks from:
27-04-2019, 20:12   #1154
Snow Garden

Thanks Sryanbruen.

So Galway (Mace Head) had the highest gust. We definitely need a weather station on the Clare coast. Loop head perhaps.
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2019, 20:20   #1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Garden View Post
Thanks Sryanbruen.

So Galway (Mace Head) had the highest gust. We definitely need a weather station on the Clare coast. Loop head perhaps.
Need more in land, there is a station in all coastal counties in the west already.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion