Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-04-2019, 12:29   #46
ArraMusha

Quote:
Originally Posted by positron View Post
Subscribing to the thread, had planned to cycle Galway-Drogheda leaving Galway around 7am Saturday morning. Not sure if a good idea if cross-wind gusts to "110 to 130 km/h". Looks like it would be pretty cold as well?...
I have experience of cycling long distances in all sorts of conditions. You should keep a close eye on the wind direction and speeds and the rain over hours before your cycle.

This 'storm' could change direction and go more north/south in which case you cycle could be OK, or it may be very dangerous with cross winds.

Tailwinds from wind coming from a fixed direction is fine, but this is a deep low depression and wind will likely come from different directions as it passes over the country...see charts...
Be care and "dont take un-necessary journeys"
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-04-2019, 13:11   #47
tatranska

I'm on the side of a mountain 175m asl in the southwest facing the Atlantic. This should be fun.
(5) thanks from:
25-04-2019, 13:24   #48
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
I'm on the side of a mountain 175m asl in the southwest facing the Atlantic. This should be fun.
Could you livestream it?
25-04-2019, 13:51   #49
Meteorite58

EURO 4 a bit lower wind speeds than the ECM and the other models. Possible Jet streak from this storm as well perhaps.

25-04-2019, 13:55   #50
Meteorite58

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/statu...92098278875136

Information to follow was included by Siobhán Ryan on Thursday 25th April 2019

Storm Hannah was named this morning with orange level winds expected to impact upon counties Clare, Limerick, Cork and Kerry from Friday afternoon (16:00) until late Friday night (05:00). A yellow wind has also been issued for the rest of Munster, Connacht and southern Leinster, with this warning valid until 09:00 on Saturday. The situation and warnings will be under constant review and will be amended if required.

The developing storm system currently lies east of Newfoundland, with rapid cyclogenesis expected to occur over the next 24 hours as it tracks eastwards across the Atlantic. Storm Hannah will be positioned off-shore roughly 200km west of Slyne Head by 16:00 on Friday with the closed storm system forecast to track directly inland across the southern portion of Ireland on Friday evening/night. After that it will move away towards Britain and slowly fill, losing most of its strength on Saturday morning.

The public are advised to be prepared for the anticipated conditions, especially those living or travelling to the southwest with some disruption and power outages likely. There is an increased risk of impacts to life and property during times of severe weather with flying debris of particular concern during any wind event. Especially after the recent warm spell, people are advised to take in their BBQ or loose garden furniture.

With the trees now in full leaf, there in an increased threat tree damage and possible felling too. Other impacts may include travel disruption with large and dangerous waves expected to crash into southwest coasts. Whilst Storm Hannah will primarily be a wind event, spells of heavy rain will be wrapped up around eye of the storm too.

The last of the heavy rain will clear the north and east during Saturday morning and winds will abate. However, brisk northwest winds will persist into Saturday afternoon with a mix of sunshine and scattered showers following.
Advertisement
25-04-2019, 13:57   #51
Oscar Bravo

Some great detail there from met eireann and practical advice also,take in bbq etc. Credit where credit due.
25-04-2019, 13:59   #52
peteeeed

I'm cycling from Dublin to Tullamore at 10:30 am Saturday , how am i looking?
25-04-2019, 14:14   #53
Villain

I don't think the Eagle did Met Eireann any favours on News at One on RTE Radio, I like his cool calm style but saying the storm is in the premiership of storms etc only plays into the perception that warnings are over the top and people ignore them, also if you compare his comments with their very good Meteorologist's Commentary it just causes confusion.
25-04-2019, 14:15   #54
Snow Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteeeed View Post
I'm cycling from Dublin to Tullamore at 10:30 am Saturday , how am i looking?
Depends...what are you wearing?
Advertisement
25-04-2019, 14:16   #55
SlowBlowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
I am in a similar situation.

I really fear these storms now, after a bedroom window blew in some years back. No chance of sleep, the roar in the mountains is so loud.

600 ft ASL - MacGillycuddy Reeks
25-04-2019, 14:19   #56
Meteorite58

GFS tracking further N and looking a bit stronger on this run.

25-04-2019, 14:28   #57
pad199207

That is a seriously tight gradient into Kerry Meteorite!
(2) thanks from:
25-04-2019, 14:33   #58
Meteorite58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad199207 View Post
That is a seriously tight gradient into Kerry Meteorite!
It sure is, going to get a right kick from this I reckon, my poor trees ! Power outages could be big a big issue. All eyes on the next runs.
25-04-2019, 15:02   #59
Storm 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
I don't think the Eagle did Met Eireann any favours on News at One on RTE Radio, I like his cool calm style but saying the storm is in the premiership of storms etc only plays into the perception that warnings are over the top and people ignore them, also if you compare his comments with their very good Meteorologist's Commentary it just causes confusion.
Completely agree I could not believe what I was hearing on the news, it differed completely from their website he was so laid back the interview was even cut short because it seemed like a non story
25-04-2019, 15:05   #60
goat2

Keeping an eye on here, on the south west coast, a bit nervous at mo

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion