Due to a planned absence from the internet from now (bye) to the 30th or possibly later, I am posting the May contest early. If somebody reading this would perhaps bump it to the top of the menu around the 28th, that would be helpful.
1. Predict the IMT (Irish Mean Temperature), the average for five locations, Claremorris, Mullingar, Casement, Oak Park and Shannon. The 1981-2010 normal value for May is 11.1 C. (max 25 points)
2. Predict the MAX (highest temperature at any regular reporting site as confirmed in the Monthly Summary of Met-Eireann) during May. (max 20 points)
3. Predict the MIN (lowest temperature etc, see above) (max 20 points)
4. Predict the PRC in May (rainfall and liquid equivalent of any frozen precip) as a percentage of normal values. The baseline for this is a grid of eleven stations, the five mentioned in part one above, and also Belmullet, Malin Head, Valentia, Ballyhaise, Johnstown Castle, and Cork. (max 15 points)
5. Predict the SUN (sunshine) for May as a percentage of normal values at six locations (Casement, Dublin, Belmullet, Cork, Shannon, Valentia). (max 10 points)
6. For a BONUS question (10 points), what will be the heaviest 24 hour rainfall (mm) and on what day of the week (you have four or five chances to be right) ... amount is worth seven of ten points and day is worth three, two for being a day out and one for being two days out on that. Superbonus of 1 or 2 available.
The usual late penalties will apply after 0300h Wednesday 1st of May. Good luck!
Just in case these are default entries (may totally revise mine) ...
MTC __________ 10.8 _ 24.0 _ -1.5 _ 140 _ 090 ___ 45.0 _ Thursday
Normal ________ 11.1 _ 25.0 _ -1.0 _ 100 _ 100 ___ 40.0 _ weekend (j/k)
Good luck !!