Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 04:04   #46
bodhrandude

Yep its was loud bangs in Salthill.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 04:08   #47
_Whimsical_

Been a great night of thunder and lightning in Galway city. My roof has been actually creaking, this is the first time the sounds of thunder have made me jump out of my skin.
Thoroughly enjoying it though. Opened my curtains, laying back enjoying the show. Fun watching different neighbours lights go on after each crack.

It seems to be easing off now, there is lightning but the thunder is very distant, sometimes inaudible after flashes. Its definitely been one of our best nights of atmospherics here.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 04:09   #48
anismi

Good bit of activity here since about 3.30 which woke me up. Massive flash bang about 15 minutes ago followed by torrential hail. Set off all the alarms in the area and seems to have blown the WiFi. Scared the bejaysus out of me! Still going in the distance. Oranmore area.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 04:09   #49
dmc17

Wow, that was loud in Galway. Cracking thunder more so than the usual rumbling
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 04:11   #50
RoisinD

NW Clare. Some show. Seems to be dying down now
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 04:21   #51
LowOdour

West Galway....a scarily loud bang went off an hour ago. The last time I heard it that bad last year, we lost a lot of appliances and neighbour almost lost their house with all the damage done. Worried what the morning brings.

Things have eased in the last 10min or so
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 05:13   #52
Mount Vesuvius

Yes a squall line developed with plenty of sparks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Squalll.jpg (312.3 KB, 703 views)
09-03-2019, 06:28   #53
redsteveireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Whereabouts JD? rumbles turned to direct overheaders here but booming away in the distance again now. Lightning not as near but seems to be picking up in frequency again.
Got some very close if not directly overhead around 4am, the crack of the strikes sounded different to the normal rumble. The wind and hailstones was what actually woke me.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:34   #54
Tacklebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoisinD View Post
NW Clare. Some show. Seems to be dying down now
I was woken by it too, it was really loud and powerful...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 07:50   #55
coillsaille

As others have said, it was very intense here in west Co Galway for a while. Loud shotgun bangs of thunder instead of rumbles for a while. I couldn't get over the searing brightness of the lightning flashes. I watched it from bed out the window for a while then closed my eyes to try to go back to sleep. Then a flash lit up the room and absolutely blinded me, with my eyes closed!
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:54   #56
Storm 10

I have been through lots of Thunder Storms but I have never seen or heard anything like last night in Galway, the lightning was incredibly bright it was difficult to look at it and as for the Thunder I don't want to experience anything like it again as much as I love a good Storm. It was the first time I did not video it as I was sure the house would be struck by lightning it was that close and some of the flashes and bangs were frightening if I'm honest. Can anyone on hear explain how it was so intense compared to our normal storms.

Last edited by Storm 10; 09-03-2019 at 08:02.
(4) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:30   #57
km79

Woke at 4am by the mother of all thunderstorms in east Galway
House was shaking
Got up for a look and was damn near blinded by a flash overhead !!!!
Power flickered but stayed on

Oddly it has now just gone
09-03-2019, 08:41   #58
PukkaStukka

No thunder here in North county Dublin but at 5:45 I was awoken by the mother of all squalls. Insane wind and rain but I'm surprised there were no sparks given its intensity. Its probably the remnants of what visited Connaught earlier
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 09:05   #59
Cheshire Cat

Yep, Galway City was very bad. Had my hands full calming two utterly terrified dogs.
09-03-2019, 09:07   #60
ZX7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm 10 View Post
I have been through lots of Thunder Storms but I have never seen or heard anything like last night in Galway, the lightning was incredibly bright it was difficult to look at it and as for the Thunder I don't want to experience anything like it again as much as I love a good Storm. It was the first time I did not video it as I was sure the house would be struck by lightning it was that close and some of the flashes and bangs were frightening if I'm honest. Can anyone on hear explain how it was so intense compared to our normal storms.
Could it have been negative lightning???

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion