Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thunder and lightning Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Dublin 1 and Dublin 7 few claps witching the last 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Excellent fork lightning over Dublin Airport

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Jealous. Any chance of some sparks down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Fork lightning over Dublin 17 moving northeast I think. Really long rolling thunder followed between 3 and 7 seconds after the strikes. I could see heavy rain below the cloud but it never fell were I was.
    Have only ever seen forks of lightning 3 or 4 times in my life, it was fierce exciting:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tornado alley style skies in Kildare now. Plenty of rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A little more development in the Wicklow Mountains in the last 30 mins might see further late evening storm potential over Dublin.

Some sparks now southwest of Kilkenny as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dublin Airport Metar reporting Thunderstorm at 1730. Temperature at 1700 was 15 degrees. Down to 12 degrees @ 1730

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Just before lightning

d4yi3sQ.jpg?3

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

diceyd wrote: »
    Just before lightning

il_794xN.655683501_2vwq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Apart from a shower, it has been sunny in Clondalkin for the last while. No thunder at all.

Torrential rain and hail in Kildare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

https://i.imgur.com/xYtIFor.png

Video of some strikes I caught not great but something https://youtu.be/zF9PyRsDs1Y

🀔

I wonder, how does hail happen during these storms?

I'm guessing it has to do with the convection that lifts moisture up so high in the clouds?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    🀔

I wonder, how does hail happen during these storms?

I'm guessing it has to do with the convection that lifts moisture up so high in the clouds?

Exactly that. Winter or summer, it's still subzero high up!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Exactly that. Winter or summer, it's still subzero high up!

So, with strong convective upflow, it comes down as hail, or jiggled around to make bigger hail, until it falls out? Even though it's warm down here, yeah?

So is that why in America, they get big hail near tornados...

Big up draft.

Is it also the size of the particles in the atmosphere that makes the ominous green or nearly purple colour in the clouds near tornados?

I know there is such a thing as CAPE, and it is a measure of energy, but not quite sure how or what it means.

I have an intuitive understanding of shear, it seems to me like a twisting force, or winds shearing against each other. Going in opposite directions, but the meeting point of difference between them.

I like to think of weather as a way of energy balance. The forces in the atmosphere build up potential (a gradient of energy like a battery), then it releases the excess of energy to bring the system back into balance. Which is weather?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Vigorous system moving up through Biscay tonight with convection cleary seen producing thunderstorms. Very heavy rain.

Qw9mfQG.gif

PCSboEW.gif

kCjqiO6.png

Fantastic system indeed Meteorite. You can bet though if it was on track for Ireland there would be no sferics/convection just plain old frontal rain.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Fantastic system indeed Meteorite. You can bet though if it was on track for Ireland there would be no sferics/convection just plain old frontal rain.

I wish I were in Britanny right now :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Indeed.

So hard to get a decent storm here in Ireland, landmass too small in general for good heat to get going and too far from the plumes . One of these days though!

Tweet below shows just how hard it is to get thunderstorms here.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1136746217692700691

Indeed.

So hard to get a decent storm here in Ireland, landmass too small in general for good heat to get going and too far from the plumes . One of these days though !

I have hope!

Indeed.

So hard to get a decent storm here in Ireland, landmass too small in general for good heat to get going and too far from the plumes . One of these days though!

Tweet below shows just how hard it is to get thunderstorms here.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1136746217692700691

Exactly. Those sferics all the way into North Norway breaks my heart.

“Sure Ireland is too far away from the continent and too far north from the heat for storms”

Maybe just my age, but I remember a lot of lightning storms as a kid in the early 80's.

Remember being woken up by not the thunder but the lightning.

Remember looking out my window, and fork lightning hit my back garden (metal clothes yard)

And 10 minutes later, it hit it again.

Lightning does strike twice, it was fascinating!

And i also remember that night of fork lightning, for hours... 82, maybe 83 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some rough weather on the way over in France, heres a TAF for Les Ajoncs Airport,high winds and thunderstorms

LFRI 061700Z 0618/0718 11010KT 9999 SCT040
    BECMG 0620/0622 -RA SCT040TCU TEMPO 0622/0702 12015G30KT 4000 RA SCT050CB BKN060 PROB30 0622/0702 TSRA

BECMG 0702/0705 19015G30KT -SHRA SCT030CB TEMPO 0707/0713 22030G50KT 2000 TSRA BKN018CB

BECMG 0713/0715 25018G40KT

Funnel Cloud, West Cork today

CA2-CF655-FABE-4685-9-E56-97494734378-C.jpg

Funnel Cloud, West Cork today

Tornado on the ground! Take cover!

Jk.

Beautiful photo!

Little or no shear tomorrow but some low level local convergence and cool air aloft creating convection along Atlantic counties with some localized heavy showers. Upper trough becoming negatively tilted during the day.

Will we see some more short lived pulse type storms ?

zFgyN6e.png

T8B4j4X.png

anim_hpm3.gif

AiM7TOP.png

anim_upx1.gif

A bit further afield

Mesmerizing

Great example of wind shear also.

• Advertisement

Advertisement