Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-05-2019, 19:34   #1516
Gonzo
Moderator
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 10,689
Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
chilly enough evening here in Meath, currently only 12C. Next week looks even cooler with daytime temperatures struggling between 9 and 14C for many places. Cool conditions lasting into early June with temperatures recovering from about 4th June.
Gonzo is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-05-2019, 20:24   #1517
Clonmel1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
Trying not to be smart here but if you're waiting around for days in excess of 25 degrees you could very well be spending the entire year indoors.
Trust me I’m not waiting around for it but I’m just pointing out that 15 degrees is not my idea of very warm. No likes in that I know but each to their own.
Clonmel1000 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-05-2019, 20:25   #1518
Clonmel1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdef View Post
Big difference between 15 and 25c though. If 25c is considered very warm (which I would generally agree with), about 20c would be considered warm if accompanied by light winds and fairly unbroken sunshine. With a breeze going and/or cloudy spells, it would need to be around 22/23c before I'd consider it warm.

Again, each to their own however I have to agree about the fantastic clarity and visibility. The air source, which has regularly being sourced from continental Europe, had resulted in some extremely low humidity at times which had led to some stunning visibility.
Would agree 100% with this.
Clonmel1000 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
23-05-2019, 07:53   #1519
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdef View Post
Yeah but unseasonably cool in May basically means cold. May is not a particularly warm month, in any case. So for it to be unseasonably cool means that it's rather cold.

I don't think "excessive heat" is in any part of this argument, just the discussion of an unusually cold late spring month. Fair enough if we were encroaching on 30c during the month of May, then excessive heat could be brought into the equation but for most regions of the country on most days, mid teens seems to be the order of the day for the maximum temperature. Sometimes a bit warmer, sometimes a bit cooler but on the the whole it's inarguably been a very cool month thus far with the drier than normal weather being the only thing that's kept the month from feeling unpleasant.
You are misunderstanding as you are seeing/assessing it from a tech meteorological view whereas my view is subjective.

And no no excessive heat and I did not say there was but just enough to make sitting out pleasant even for very old folk who cannot tolerate excessive heat and to whom excessive has a personal rather techn meaning

Mid teens is perfection. anything more is too much! It has been thus a perfect week weather wise. Hardly VERY cool, but again thi sis always subjective

Offline now a few weeks due to increasing illness. Blessings and peace
Graces7 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-05-2019, 07:57   #1520
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonmel1000 View Post
Trust me I’m not waiting around for it but I’m just pointing out that 15 degrees is not my idea of very warm. No likes in that I know but each to their own.
exactly so! I was raised during the War and after without central heating and find folks seem these days to need far far more heating than we ever had,

The mid teens is as high as is comfortable FOR ME. Last summer was torture. lol.. vive la difference

ps raining water and midges here

Over and out..not enough well to stay
Graces7 is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2019, 09:42   #1521
Reckless Abandonment
Registered User
 
Reckless Abandonment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 753
Anyone else having trouble seeing MT forecasts.
It will show new post 2hours ago but when I open it, yesterday's forecast is the newest one
. This only happens every now and then..
Reckless Abandonment is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2019, 09:43   #1522
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandonment View Post
Anyone else having trouble seeing MT forecasts.
It will show new post 2hours ago but when I open it, yesterday's forecast is the newest one
. This only happens every now and then..
That happens to me nearly all the time on mobile. On PC, I've never had the issue.
sryanbruen is offline  
23-05-2019, 09:56   #1523
snowgal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
exactly so! I was raised during the War and after without central heating and find folks seem these days to need far far more heating than we ever had,

The mid teens is as high as is comfortable FOR ME. Last summer was torture. lol.. vive la difference

ps raining water and midges here

Over and out..not enough well to stay
aw hope you feel better Graces7. Keep us posted
snowgal is offline  
(3) thanks from:
23-05-2019, 10:06   #1524
Mortelaro
Registered User
 
Mortelaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
That happens to me nearly all the time on mobile. On PC, I've never had the issue.
No issues here on mobile
Incidentally Met Éireann's forecast this morning differs on tomorrow's showers
He says connaught and South Ulster

They say mainly in the East
Big difference
Mortelaro is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2019, 10:18   #1525
highdef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
You are misunderstanding as you are seeing/assessing it from a tech meteorological view whereas my view is subjective.

And no no excessive heat and I did not say there was but just enough to make sitting out pleasant even for very old folk who cannot tolerate excessive heat and to whom excessive has a personal rather techn meaning

Mid teens is perfection. anything more is too much! It has been thus a perfect week weather wise. Hardly VERY cool, but again thi sis always subjective
Maybe it's a local thing. You live off the west coast so higher temperatures are far less likely than on the mainland so you would most likely be used to lower overall temperatures than the majority of people in Ireland.

Having said that, there are a lot of elderly people living in the part of Dublin where I work. At 15c, any of them out and about will be wrapped up in a heavy winter jacket, the ladies with head scarfs and the gents with flat caps. Even when the temperatures are nearer the 20c mark, most will still be in full winter outfits which is what I have learned to expect.....older people seem to need more heat around them to keep warm. Obviously a continued rise in temperatures will eventually become too warm for various groups of people especially when the outside temperatures reaches a point where it's difficult to cool your dwelling.
highdef is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-05-2019, 13:30   #1526
SleetAndSnow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,327
Overcast in cork today for the first time in a while, had a light shower aswell. Just saw the 1pm weather though showing 20 degrees in the south tomorrow
SleetAndSnow is offline  
23-05-2019, 14:08   #1527
expectationlost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,946
met eireann is telling me its 18 degrees celsius in dublin today???? in north dublin its overcast and cold
expectationlost is offline  
23-05-2019, 14:46   #1528
highdef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by expectationlost View Post
met eireann is telling me its 18 degrees celsius in dublin today???? in north dublin its overcast and cold
I just checked the met Eireann forecast for the Dublin region and it's forecasting highs of 14c to 16c today with mainly cloudy conditions but some brighter spells through the afternoon, together with light variable winds. I'm just back from a 5km walk around the Dublin 8 area and forecast sounds spot in. Could be nearer the 17c for me due to urban heat Island effect but that would be typical.

Looking at the latest readings from Dublin airport (probably your nearest official met station) and at 14:00 it was 16c there, which ties in well with the forecast.

Can you link to your 18c forecast for the Dublin region, according to Met Eireann? The forecast details sometimes differ. I was looking on the www version.

In any case 2c lower than the 18c you mention is very little. With winds being light and variable, there's a chance you've and onshore breeze if you're located close to the coast. That would bring temperatures down a little bit more than widely forecasted for the region but this would be considered more of a microclimate issue.

Last edited by highdef; 23-05-2019 at 14:49.
highdef is offline  
23-05-2019, 16:57   #1529
nacho libre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,313
A summer with temperatures between 22- 24 degrees would be ideal for me. I am not a fan of temperatures in the high twenties to low 30s - especially when you are stuck in heavy traffic.
nacho libre is offline  
23-05-2019, 17:24   #1530
pad199207
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
A summer with temperatures between 22- 24 degrees would be ideal for me. I am not a fan of temperatures in the high twenties to low 30s - especially when you are stuck in heavy traffic.
That’s why we have the beautiful invention of Air Con ;-)
pad199207 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet