Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-04-2018, 01:21   #1
Kermit.de.frog

The Universe is AWESOME!

In the image above taken by the Hubble Space Telescope there are 10,000 visible galaxies each containing billions and billions of stars.

If you took a needle out and held it to the night sky and looked through the hole on the end - that is the equivalent portion of space in the picture.

To cover the whole sky the same techique would have to be used roughly 40,000,000 times.

(169) thanks from:
12gauge dave, aaronjumper, Accumulator, Agent Coulson, alchemist33, AMKC, Andrew76, AndyBoBandy, Ardennes1944, Atoms for Peace, Autosport, B0jangles, backspin., baylah17, BaZmO*, Big Nasty, BigAl81, biketard, BilboBagOfCans, bilston, blanch152, Blazedup, Blowfish, bluewolf, BonkeyDonker, Boom_Bap, CalamariFritti, Can I come too..., Candie, Candlemass, cantdecide, captbarnacles, Caryatnid, cjmc, Coffee Fulled Runner, coillsaille, corcaigh1, Cork Boy 53, Crocked, CruelCoin, Cutie 3.14, davidglanza, DavidLyons_, deco nate, Deja Boo, denismc, DenMan, dexter647, Diablo Verde, dmaprelude, dmc17, Doctor Jimbob, Dohnjoe, dolanbaker, Doyler99, Drumpot, Duff, erica74, Evd-Burner, eyeball kid, FanadMan, FoxyVixen, fxotoole, galwayrush, Garzard, GraGaia, GreeBo, Gwen Cooper, G_R, happyoutscan, Hector Savage, Hotei, housetypeb, IAMAMORON, idle, IncognitoMan, J Mysterio, j@utis, jiltloop, jim salter, josip, Jude13, JupiterKid, Kingp35, Kivaro, Knex., lawred2, Lia_lia, LirW, Lithium93_, longgonesilver, Longing, Lorelli!, MajesticDonkey, MAJJ, Malayalam, Mark Rippetoe, mark_jmc, massdebater, mathie, MeMen2_MoRi_, metalfest, Muckie, Muppet Man, mzungu, NickNickleby, no.8, Noodles81, now online, numorouno, OldRio, PandaPoo, parttime, partyjungle, Patrick_Swayze, Paz-CCFC, Potential-Monke, Professor Moriarty, rafatoni, rawn, RebelButtMunch, relax carry on, Relikk, RichTea123, rickis tache, RiderOnTheStorm, RobertKK, Rory28, Rosie Rant, Rulmeq, saintsaltynuts, Scarinae, scuba8, SeaFields, skerry, Skylinehead, Spudmonkey, SScope, Stephen Gawking, storker, strandroad, Stu Redman, Suckit, Supergurrier, SuperTortoise, Tacitus Kilgore, Taiga, take everything, taxAHcruel, tayto lover, Tazio, Tell me how, The Oort Cloud, The Princess Bride, the_syco, TiGeR KiNgS, tigger123, Timberrrrrrrr, victor8600, Wanderer78, weemcd, westernfrenzy, wexie, Whatsisname, Whispered, Wibbs, WoollyRedHat, ziggy, _Kaiser_
Advertisement
18-04-2018, 01:28   #2
Captain Red Beard

Uranus is awesome.
18-04-2018, 01:41   #4
SmartinMartin

I fcuking hate that word. Fascinating, incredible, amazing, spectacular, magnificent, etc, but awsome? Septics have ruined that word through overuse and trivialitization.

Last edited by SmartinMartin; 18-04-2018 at 01:45.
18-04-2018, 01:51   #5
Accumulator

The little Milky Way alone is flush with billions of potentially habitable planets - and that's just one sliver of the universe (there are billions of other galaxies to choose from).

In total around about 6 sextillion (x21 zeros) possible habitable planets in the universe, more than there is individual specs/grains of sand on all of the earths beaches combined.
Advertisement
18-04-2018, 01:56   #8
endacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn View Post
That rug really tied the room together.
18-04-2018, 02:10   #9
Kermit.de.frog

Last edited by Kermit.de.frog; 18-04-2018 at 12:14.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2018, 02:18   #10
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post
It is indeed OP. That’s why I’ve had an interest in astronomy since I was about 17.

Just look at this close up image of the atmosphere of the planet Jupiter, taken by the orbiting Juno probe. Surreal!!

Triiippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!
(3) thanks from:
18-04-2018, 02:20   #11
pleas advice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartinMartin View Post
I fcuking hate that word. Fascinating, incredible, amazing, spectacular, magnificent, etc, but awsome? Septics have ruined that word through overuse and trivialitization.
It's massiv, innit?
(2) thanks from:
18-04-2018, 02:21   #12
Liamalone

Fake news
18-04-2018, 02:22   #13
PandaPoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartinMartin View Post
I would say this is the epitome of awesome.
18-04-2018, 02:22   #14
jaxxx

The universe is awesome, humans suck. Yup!
Thanks from:
18-04-2018, 03:16   #15
Outlaw Pete

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion