Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2015, 12:20   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanovich View Post
What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.
How has it highlighted this?

Although I did see some genius here on After Hours posting up a photo they took of their own ballot paper with a "X" in the No box.
Quote:
That is in fact incorrect. If they are out of the country more than 18 months they are breaking the law if they vote.

If you are not Irish and you voted yesterday you are also breaking the law.
How could you possibly have been breaking the law if you went to the polling station, presented yourself and your I.D./document, your name was crossed off the list and you were handed your balloting papers?

I know the symbol can be annoying (when it's used disingenuously) but sometimes there really is no other symbol...
Advertisement
23-05-2015, 12:21   #62
ronivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDebater View Post
I wonder would the media be lavishing praise on those citizens coming home if they were Irish Americans from red states. It's not about the result. It's not about what way they were likely to vote. It's that it was happening and all our politicians and media outlets celebrated it.
They were celebrating the fact people actually gave a **** about voting. In fact; that people cared so much that they even travelled across the world and used up time off work to do so.

But you go ahead and get your panties in a twist over an antiquated voting law which sets an arbitrary limit to the amount of time you can seemingly be considered "Irish" for the purposes of a referendum.
(2) thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:22   #63

Quote:
Am I saying that?? All I am saying is that the system church is insecure and broken.
Fixed your post.
23-05-2015, 12:23   #64
AdamD

The taste of salt is palpable
23-05-2015, 12:26   #65
MathDebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablomakaveli View Post
But that didn't happen and couldn't happen because they'd never have been resident in Ireland. Again no proof that those that did return were gone longer than 18 months.
A lot of them openly stated how long they have been gone for on RTE! For example, agroup of lads said that they have been living in London for eight years and returned to vote.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2015, 12:27   #66

Tis a great day for Ireland and human rights. Ya don't like it, may I suggest you move to sunny Turkmenistan.
23-05-2015, 12:27   #67

where the figure of 66,000 come from. It sounds like a hell of a lot to me
23-05-2015, 12:28   #68

I hear Ashgabat is lovely this time of year.
Thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:29   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by donegaLroad View Post
where the figure of 66,000 come from. It sounds like a hell of a lot to me
Its the number of people who registered to vote I believe.

All of them are evil foreigners and people who havent lived in the country for years of course according to the OP.
Advertisement
23-05-2015, 12:29   #70
MathDebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronivek View Post

But you go ahead and get your panties in a twist over an antiquated voting law which sets an arbitrary limit to the amount of time you can seemingly be considered "Irish" for the purposes of a referendum.
Nothing antiquated about the electoral act. With the number of Irish born emigrants and Irish citizens by descent around the world, if we allowed them to vote they could potentially have more of a say in the running of the Irish state than the Irish citizens actually living here.
23-05-2015, 12:31   #71
MathDebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold War Kid View Post
And the polling station guy/gal would have presumably sad "Sorry folks, your name's not down, you're not comin' in."
Do you think people are automatically struck off the electoral register once they leave the state or something?
Thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:36   #72
emigrate2012
Banned

Quote:
It's not just one or two. The system is broken and there is widespread shenanigans going on.
Crawl back under your rock ffs,any proof of these shenanigans??? 14 odd hours after the ballot and you're slinging some serious sh!t there pal....

If I were to marry a bloke tommorow, what DIRECT effect would it have on YOU??
Nothing whatsoever.....
The people have spoken, equality for all at last.

Look outside,it's a beautiful day go out and enjoy it and stop stirring sh!the.

I for one am gonna go into the city tonight, cos there's gonna be one hell of a hooley!!!!
23-05-2015, 12:38   #73

Quote:
A lot of them openly stated how long they have been gone for on RTE! For example, agroup of lads said that they have been living in London for eight years and returned to vote.
Report them for electoral fraud then. Doesn't invalidate the rights of those who were entitled to vote returning and doing so.
(3) thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:38   #74
pmasterson95

What it has shown is the hypocrisy more than anything. The yes campaigns dirty preachy tactics

but even funnier they scream for equality for all. Yet its obvious they only mean for the gays. If your under 35 you dont deserve to be treated equally and have a chance of presidency. That has been trounced. Now they say how great we are at treating people equally. Hypocritical bandwagon jumping at its finest .
Thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:39   #75

Quote:
Do you think people are automatically struck off the electoral register once they leave the state or something?
You need your polling card. Why the absolute longing to believe there were polling booth shenanigans?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion