Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2015, 12:00   #46
MathDebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaakev View Post
Explain exactly how they are breaking the law?

Sore looser much?
Under section 5 of the Electoral Act 1963, it states:

(4) For the purposes of this section—

(a) a person shall be deemed not to have given up ordinary residence if he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up,

(b) a written statement by a person that he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be conclusive evidence of that fact.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/...9/sec0005.html

Those non resident for 18 months or who are non resident and plan to continue to be so for 18 months should not have voted yesterday.
Advertisement
23-05-2015, 12:00   #47
bee06

If you feel so strongly about it then you should report it. I'm sure there is some mechanism for reporting electoral fraud. No point in just ranting on boards about it.
Thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:00   #48
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
The numbers who actually came home just to vote is likely to be four figures at most. Logistically you just can't get tens of thousands of people into the country at short notice over a 24 hour period unless you put on a lot of extra boats and planes.
23-05-2015, 12:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanovich View Post
What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.

66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.

Non-Irish registered and voting and proud.
And they are off again. Nobody cares apart from a few disillusioned grumps.
You have a choice of lemons or grapes.
23-05-2015, 12:01   #50
stefanovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee06 View Post
If you feel so strongly about it then you should report it. I'm sure there is some mechanism for reporting electoral fraud. No point in just ranting on boards about it.
It's not just one or two. The system is broken and there is widespread shenanigans going on.
Advertisement
23-05-2015, 12:01   #51

Quote:
Hmm, 66,000 people travel back to vote. I wonder what percentage were out of the country more than 18 months?? Australia is a long way away.
It could be anything between 0 and all. You dont know. People are innocent until proven guilty, not guilty as soon as you decide. You cant even use the 66k number right.
(2) thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:02   #52
Going Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
The numbers who actually came home just to vote is likely to be four figures at most. Logistically you just can't get tens of thousands of people into the country over a 24 hour period unless you put on a lot of extra boats and planes.
They should have put on extra waambulances for No voters.
23-05-2015, 12:02   #53

Quote:
It's not just one or two. The system is broken and there is widespread shenanigans going on.
I wonder would you have been as outraged if the No vote won.
23-05-2015, 12:02   #54

In fairness, we have a system that doesn't serve to get a true representation from those that want to participate. Many people are away from their usual polling booths because of work, college or holidays. Many are unable to get to their polling booth through age or health related issues. Many who re-register to a convenient polling station, also continue to get a polling card at their original home.

System is seriously flawed. Postal voting and swiping your PPS card to get a paper voting slip is the answer
Advertisement
23-05-2015, 12:11   #55
aaakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDebater View Post
Under section 5 of the Electoral Act 1963, it states:

(4) For the purposes of this section—

(a) a person shall be deemed not to have given up ordinary residence if he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up,

(b) a written statement by a person that he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be conclusive evidence of that fact.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/...9/sec0005.html

Those non resident for 18 months or who are non resident and plan to continue to be so for 18 months should not have voted yesterday.
I know a few people that came home to vote, none gone more tha 18 months. op picked a number out of the sky and accused them of breaking the law, a number which if the reports are anything to go by is going to be irrelevant to the outcome
23-05-2015, 12:11   #56
MathDebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backwards Man View Post
Fair play to them for using their vote, whatever way they vote. I know a lot of people, my own brother included, that was born here, schooled here, employed here, pay thousands of euro in tax here every year, and they have no say in the running of the country because they don't actually live here. I, for one, think that is wrong.
Do you think that all Irish citizens abroad should be allowed vote? Do you realise what that will entail and what you would be opening us up to?
Thanks from:
23-05-2015, 12:15   #57
MathDebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablomakaveli View Post
I wonder would you have been as outraged if the No vote won.
I wonder would the media be lavishing praise on those citizens coming home if they were Irish Americans from red states. It's not about the result. It's not about what way they were likely to vote. It's that it was happening and all our politicians and media outlets celebrated it.
23-05-2015, 12:16   #58
Nymeria

Quote:
Did you bring this up at the last referendum in 2013? if not, why not? Surely there would have been similar 'shenanigans' going on then, by your assertion of how widespread it is.

Or is it simply the content of this referendum that bothers you...
23-05-2015, 12:17   #59

Quote:
Do you think that all Irish citizens abroad should be allowed vote? Do you realise what that will entail and what you would be opening us up to?
I think an Irish citizen who works abroad for an Irish company and paying Irish tax should have a say in how the country is run. Do you think that they shouldn't?
23-05-2015, 12:20   #60

Quote:
Well i'm an emigrant and gone much longer than 18 months and i completely accept i no longr have the right to vote. I don't contribute to Ireland in taxes anymore and won't be returning for the foreseeable future. However there are some who are away for much shorter periods, for education or work, who do intend to return and they should be allowed vote and thats covered by the 18 month rule.

Quote:
I wonder would the media be lavishing praise on those citizens coming home if they were Irish Americans from red states. It's not about the result. It's not about what way they were likely to vote. It's that it was happening and all our politicians and media outlets celebrated it.
But that didn't happen and couldn't happen because they'd never have been resident in Ireland. Again no proof that those that did return were gone longer than 18 months.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion