Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Home by Bill Bryson.

Good lightweight read.

Im reading that now too. Pretty good, goes off on rambles sometimes but still very interesting.

Im also reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne. Only started it though, so i cant review it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The Slap by christos tsiolkas
    Picked it up in tesco, saw the cover which grabbed me and then read the back which grabbed me even further which never happens. Good read thus far.

Mary by Vladimir Nabokov, it's alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Galaxy in Flames by Ben Counter. Part of the Horus Heresy series for Warhammer 40k, good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. It's very good, although can be a bit confusing at times. I would recommend it.

I'm also reading The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. It is in preperation for college, but it's still pretty enjoyable. The Middle English is a bit tedious after a while though, so I only read small bits at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Just finished 'Empire' by Niall Ferguson. Sum it up in one word....'meh'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. It's very good, although can be a bit confusing at times. I would recommend .

Good as the film was, I prefered the book. Liked the way it delved into the religious politics of the time.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I'm also reading The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer.

Which coincidentally Hyperion is a modern take on (apparently).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

False Economy: A Surprising Economic History of the World by Alan Beattie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Just finished Forrest Griffins "How to be ready when the sh*t goes down"

Great book... one to read to be prepared for Z day.

Started The meaning of Zen by Chuck Norris. He has to know a thing or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I'm juggling "The Looming Tower" by Lawrence Wright, "the moral landscape" by Sam Harris and "Tell me no lies" by John Pilger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Jenna69 wrote: »
    I love Stephen King, although i haven't read any in a while, let us know what 'Full Dark, No Stars' is like when you get through. Love James Herbert too, Domain is best one of his i've read.

Will do. Some of his newer stuff isn't as good! I guess he is getting old! :(
    Miri5 wrote: »
    Meant to say, all you guys reading Stephen King should read The Talisman by him and Peter Straub. Such a good book :)

I started that before but couldn't get into it. Did you read the follow up book, 'Black House'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult :) I love her books!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Blood Work - Michael Connelly, only discovered him a few months back & am flying through his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The Rules of The Game - Neil Strauss.

I have a woman in my life already, so it's not for practical purposes. But I've been giving out about this book and PUAs in general for so long, that I had to read it to give my criticisms some credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Dreamsongs
    A collection of short stories by George RR Martin. I've only read one so far and it was pretty woeful!

Next up: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

I am currently reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan... I really love the Wheel of Time :cool:

Wait til you get past book 7 and see how much you love it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

SheFiend wrote: »
    I like Paul Williams books; journalist for the Sunday World who wrote "The General" (Martin Cahill) amongst others. Great books about Irish gangs.

His book on Martin Cahill was brilliant. Great insight into such a private man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

HazDanz wrote: »
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis.

It's actually a great black comedy if you give it the chance.

My favourite book :D I thought it was hilarious.

Dermighty wrote: »
    My favourite book :D I thought it was hilarious.

In that case you shouldn't be too squeamish for Blood Meridian (which is my favourite book)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

py2006 wrote: »
    and would ya recommend it?

I'm reading 'Full Dark, No Stars' by Stephen King!

Just started so can't really say I can recommend it just yet!

You can't beat a bit of Stephen King!

Love Stephen King too, and his books of short stories/novellas are my favourite. Full Dark, No Stars is good, very dark though (the clue is in the name). There's one story in particular in that book that was really affected me!
    g'em wrote: »
    Cujo was the first King book I ever read, a loooong time ago now, at least *mumble* years :pac: Absolutely terrifying, I couldn't look my dog in the eye for weeks after :o

Cujo is, hands down, the scariest book I've ever read. It took me so long because I couldn't bear to read more than 3 or 4 pages at a time!! When I was reading it I dreaded going to bed because I knew it would be reading time...but I couldn't stop reading it!

At the moment I'm working my way through the Harry Potter series for about the 7th time :D On The Goblet of Fire at the moment. Don't care if I get funny looks on the bus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

SheFiend wrote: »
    I like Paul Williams books; journalist for the Sunday World who wrote "The General" (Martin Cahill) amongst others. Great books about Irish gangs.

can't stand that guy, so doubt i'd like a book by him. plus tbh i've little or no interest in irish gangs. but thanks :)
    Papillon is supposed to be amazing and I've been meaning to read it for ages (which gives me an idea as to what to read next). Not sure how 'true' it is, though.
    Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden it's about Pablo Escobar.
    steve9859 wrote: »
    The best true crime book I read recently, and which kept me gripped from start to finish was 'Black Mass'. The story of the corrupt relationship between the Boston mob and an FBI agent. Very much back in the news now as Whitey Bulger was recently captured. And obviously it has the Irish connection. A really excellent read

will look into these

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Cujo is, hands down, the scariest book I've ever read. It took me so long because I couldn't bear to read more than 3 or 4 pages at a time!! When I was reading it I dreaded going to bed because I knew it would be reading time...but I couldn't stop reading it!

At the moment I'm working my way through the Harry Potter series for about the 7th time :D On The Goblet of Fire at the moment. Don't care if I get funny looks on the bus!

Pet Semetary was the one that did it for me! But then again I was only like 13-14.

I keep meaning to read the Potter books, I am thinking of getting the boxset with the adult friendly covers! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Reading Kathy Reichs "Cross Bones".

She is one of my favourite authors along with Dan Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Jenna69 wrote: »
    I love Stephen King, although i haven't read any in a while, let us know what 'Full Dark, No Stars' is like when you get through. Love James Herbert too, Domain is best one of his i've read.

I grew up reading King and Herbert, loved scaring myself to death. I loved The Rats and The Fog, the only book I can't read is The Shining and I really want to but can't get past the first page without freaking out, Jack Nicholson has a lot to answer for.

I'm reading 'Those in Peril' by Wilbur Smith, it's O.K. the romantic tripe ruins what could be a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Currently on the tenth book of the Wheel of Time - absolutely Epic. I would recommend.

Huge Stephen King fan - The Stand is a masterpiece and while his more recent stuff is not a patch on the Stand, IT, Christine etc, Under the Dome is well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Brave Old World (A Practical Guide to Husbandry, or the Fine Art of Looking After Yourself) by Tom Hodgkinson

Tom's books are genuinely life changing if you're a wage slave who wants to throw off the 'mind forg'd manacles' of a life of 9 to 5 drudgery, consumerism and an enslaving work culture, and find genuine happiness and freedom in life.

Inspiring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Anyone a fan of Douglas Kennedy? He's a genius & once I start one of his books I can't put them down.

2 of them have been made into films - due out next year, The Woman in the Fifth & The Big Picture - for those interested! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobsen. Fantastically written with a great sense of wit.

Stephen King, for my money whilst not the best writer in history, is genuinely a contender for best storyteller in history. What goes on in his mind is anyone's guess. I would agree with those who say he excels in his short stories and novellas. Whilst The Stand is his masterpiece of good and evil, the short stories display his true penchant for terror and pinpointing fear in someone. I recently finished Everything's Eventual which had some superb stories in it. The film Room 1408 was based on one of them. Highly recommend it if you're looking for something digestible that will leave you weirded out.

His influence is unbelievable. I'm always taken aback when I glance through his list of works to see just how many were made into major film productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

py2006 wrote: »
    I keep meaning to read the Potter books, I am thinking of getting the boxset with the adult friendly covers! ;)

The first few are very much "children's books", particularly the first and second books. I'd definitely recommend them though, the last 3 are excellent and very dark. My collection has a mixture between the adult and kids covers, I'm not really bothered! It's quite expensive to buy the boxset though. If you're not sure whether you'd like them or not, probably best getting the first few out from the library!

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Currently on the tenth book of the Wheel of Time - absolutely Epic. I would recommend.

Huge Stephen King fan - The Stand is a masterpiece and while his more recent stuff is not a patch on the Stand, IT, Christine etc, Under the Dome is well worth a read.

I haven't read The Stand, which is probably a bit of a disgrace because so many people have recommended it. Will get around to it soon. Under the Dome is very good, definitely one of his better newish novels. Cell wasn't great. I haven't read any of the Dark Towers series, not sure if they'd really be my sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Sooopie wrote: »
    Blood Work - Michael Connelly, only discovered him a few months back & am flying through his work.

If you like him you'd probably like James Patterson too, I have read most of both of their books but if I could turn back time i'd read them in the proper order, I buy books second hand so was just picking up whatever was available. I'd like to have read the Harry Bosch or Alex Cross series in order.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement