Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2019, 12:13   #1
Noteworthy
Verified representative

Do you have any issues with the new bridge in Kilkenny City now that it is built?

We'd like your help with an investigation into the controversial road scheme in Kilkenny City. We want to look back at this project now it's been open for two years and are asking if it has delivered what it promised in terms of improved traffic, increased investment, and opening up the city for tourism.

What are your thoughts and insights on this? Any help would be really appreciated!

We're an investigative platform called Noteworthy which was set up by TheJournal.ie. The idea is that we crowdsource ideas for stories that are not currently being covered by the media, and crowdfund in order to carry them out.

The investigation proposal into the Kilkenny Bridge which was sent into us by one of our readers is almost fully funded and we'd love to get it over the line so we can start the investigation. You can support the project here: https://www.noteworthy.ie/proposal/c...rks-29-May2019

Let us know your ideas below or email information@noteworthy.ie - Also if you could share this, that would be brilliant.

Last edited by Noteworthy; 15-10-2019 at 12:41.
Advertisement
15-10-2019, 15:43   #2
J Mysterio

What a dodgy organisation
(5) thanks from:
15-10-2019, 18:09   #3
Srameen

Worth every cent. Excellent. But you seem to have your minds made up already.
(3) thanks from:
16-10-2019, 00:56   #4
Last Stop

It’s far nicer to drive over than Greens bridge but there are a number of issues:
1) The lighting is dazzling when driving at night
2) The bumps are very severe
3) Irishtown is still a mess
4) The architectural design of the bridge is awful
5) The ring road would have taken more HGVS out of town
(2) thanks from:
16-10-2019, 09:55   #5
wetoutside19

I think this has been a resounding success and well worth the investment.

Its much easier to navigate the town without getting caught in pinch points. Traffic in the pinch points was never going to fully disappear, that was never a realistic expectation and in my opinion because traffic became lighter due to people using the new road it was somewhat replaced by new drivers taking advantage of the emptier roads. So the town needs to continue to invest in public transport (cycling and buses) but a balanced approach needs to be taken as both sets of needs should be accomodated.

Anyone locally who I have spoken to also agrees that it has been a success. The initial protests were much about nothing, unfortunately these protesters are still entrenched with their views and refuse to take into account the finished product so their opinion will never change.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2019, 14:19   #6
TaurenDruid

An "investigative journalism" piece into a 2-year-old bridge?! Unless, like, it's an investigation into dodgy contracts or safety concerns (like the bridge wasn't built to engineer's spec) then I'm not really seeing why Noteworthy would be investigating this when there are so many more bigger issues on your fundraising page...
16-10-2019, 14:56   #7
Sky King

The ironic thing is that many of the complaints about it were that building it diverted HGVs through the heart of the city - but from what I can see that is not happening.

Not sure how we're supposed to feel about this - should we all be happy because HGVs are not coming through the city or sad because millions was wasted on this bridge which is not being used as intended??

Personally, I am happy that this piece of infrastructure exists now that it has actually been built but I strongly suspect it was a complete white elephant and a total waste of money, and I really can't help but feel that it should have been otherwise spent - perhaps a completion of the ringroad.

It also made the junction at vicar street a complete pain in the tits, and I think the destuction of those old houses on Dean street was a shocking shame.
Thanks from:
16-10-2019, 15:02   #8
Sonny noggs
Banned

This bridge is the best thing that has happened the area since rural electrification. An excellent infrastructure investment, money well spent. Well done to all involved.
Thanks from:
20-10-2019, 19:37   #9
BoroMan32

I think even the serial moaners who were giving out about it have moved on from this by now.

It has been an unqualified success and cleaned up traffic in the area.
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 14:33   #10
Sky King

I'd love to know if it is getting anything like the envisaged volumes of traffic.

It always seems quiet on the rare occasions I do use it.
24-10-2019, 12:28   #11
Noteworthy
Verified representative

Great news!

We have kicked off our investigation into the controversial road scheme in Kilkenny City as the proposal is now fully funded. Thank you to everyone who contributed and for your help so far with gathering information.

We will be talking to people involved in the protests and the project itself, and hope to be able to provide the most up to date details on how much it has actually cost. We will also be looking at whether it has delivered for Kilkenny in terms of improved traffic, increased investment, and opening up the city for tourism.

If you'd like to help us with an investigation, check out our other proposals: https://www.noteworthy.ie/

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion