Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2019, 00:40   #421
Drumpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey 2005 View Post
I have a humidifier with a heated tube. I use a nasal mask. Absolutely fantastic. Couldn't use anything else. A solid night's sleep,every night
I might be getting another shot at a machine soon as had that sleeping test again.

When I tried on masks I didn’t like the feel of the nose mask so went with full face. Found it hard to get to sleep with it though which was why a silly consultant took me off the machine completely.

Any tips or advice on what I should ask in terms of mask for comfort?
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 00:44   #422
corwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumpot View Post
I might be getting another shot at a machine soon as had that sleeping test again.

When I tried on masks I didn’t like the feel of the nose mask so went with full face. Found it hard to get to sleep with it though which was why a silly consultant took me off the machine completely.

I've been using this one for a couple of years, find it excellent - https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthc...irfit-f20.html
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2019, 08:17   #423
Odyssey 2005

Quote:

The only mask I've ever used is the nasal one. I immediately took to it even when I was doing the sleep study. I had a H9 (think that's the name) and kept sending it back because I found it too loud. I now have an airsence 10 and find it brilliant.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 13:43   #424
FaganJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masala
Just that I had a bad vomiting bug recently and realised that I could be leaving that bacteria in my CPAP if I didn't sterilise it!!! Am I being paranoid??

Yeah once a month, should be grand, two years in, no problems
09-10-2019, 16:48   #425
corwill

I must admit that I'm wicked lazy about cleaning it. Usually at some stage after an extended period, I'll look in the humidifier's water reservoir when I'm filling it and shudder, and only then will I get off my arse. Will give the mask a rub of an antiseptic wipe every couple of weeks. I think I cleaned the hose on my first machine once, and haven't since!
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 16:53   #426
Glebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwill View Post
I've been using this one for a couple of years, find it excellent - https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthc...irfit-f20.html
Using the same mask at that myself. I find the inside gets a bit manky after a few nights and needs a good wash out, just with soap and warm water.
10-10-2019, 00:51   #427
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masala View Post
.... haven't come across that !! You mean the fabric straps around the head and cheeks??
The part that goes around the cheeks.

It depends on what mask you have. This is a "replacement Mask Frame for the Respironics' Wisp Nasal Mask"; the fabric mask frame broke on me twice, so I decided to switch after reding posiitive reviews on it.

I got it from here, as it was the cheapest. As it's classed as a medical device, it was VAT free.

Find it holds the nasal mask a lot more firmer.
11-10-2019, 22:09   #428
Fathom

Informative CPAP thread.
12-10-2019, 11:34   #429
Odyssey 2005

I was told earlier in the thread about distilled water for the humidifier. I find it brilliant. Anyway my local chemist charges €6.50 for 5 liters. Was in Halfords of all places,same water is €4.20 for 5 liters.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-10-2019, 16:15   #430
Yenwod

Quote:

First off I got this mask - https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthc...irfit-f20.html but it destroyed the bridge of my nose. I must have very sensitive thin skin.

I switched to the https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consume...irfit-f30.html which not only solved the issue I was having but I find it to be a much more comfortable and neater mask
(3) thanks from:
02-11-2019, 18:02   #431
3DataModem

If you are getting irritated by a mask it needs cleaning. Makes a huge difference.

I actually switched from the Airsense to the mini (I had both and actually preferred the mini) and it works fine. Was concerned about lack of humidity but not really an issue.
02-11-2019, 18:08   #432
corwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DataModem View Post
If you are getting irritated by a mask it needs cleaning. Makes a huge difference.

I actually switched from the Airsense to the mini (I had both and actually preferred the mini) and it works fine. Was concerned about lack of humidity but not really an issue.
It's not just down to cleaning, different masks will chafe on different sizes and shapes of heads in different ways.

Strap adjustment can also make a big difference, sometimes the margins can be fine enough in getting the fit just right, in my experience. I often have to adjust the straps on the headgear after a haircut, for instance. I've also added an extra challenge since I started with the treatment by growing a beard.

Not that you're wrong, mind, keeping the mask clean just stands to reason (gulitly scuttles off to clean mask...).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion